• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First visit to McCall

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Planning a visit to McCall for 2 weeks around Christmas. We will be a small group of 4 riders looking to explore the trails. We have lodging in McCall, but it looks like it will be necessary to take the trailer to parking areas to do any riding. Any advice or good ideas would be appreciated. Are the parking areas well marked? Favorite destinations? We will probably try the Brundage Hot Springs for a fun trip. So looking forward to a great time. Come on SNOW!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
It's Bergdorf Hot Springs and it's worth the ride in. McCall is one of the best mountain riding areas there is and provides great riding for all skill levels. Park at the Warren Wagon trail head parking area, this is the trailhead to Bergdorf hot springs, tons of off trail riding off both sides for more than 20 miles on the way to Bergdorf.
Very easy area to explore without a guide and you will have no problem finding great terrain to shred.
Get a trail map and have a great time!
There are other area to park and explore but for your first time in McCall start at Warren Wagon and you won't be disappointed.

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Hey solarguy, thanks for the info. How far up Warren Wagon road is this parking area? On google maps I found a clearing 1.5 miles up the road. Sound right? I'm sure once I'm there everything will fall into place and we will have lots of fun riding.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Warren Wagon parking lot is approx 5 miles from town, Warren Wagon road turn is across from Lardos Bar and Restaurant (good watering hole), take Warren Wagon until it ends at the parking lot and trail head. Can't get mixed up, no major intersections etc, just follow until you get there:):)
We go to McCall every year, it is an incredible riding area with vast amounts of every kind of terrain to explore. I can't remember any trips where we didn't get into great and untracked pow.
Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you need to. It is a very user friendly area and fun to explore. As I said you can explore both sides of the trail to Bergdorf, you will see tracks and or trails that take off left and right as well as hills on both sides of main trail to go play on. Steep and deep, mellow hills, trees, open areas, pillows...it's all there and easy to find...also easy to find your groups own areas track free?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Also, we sometimes leave our trailer at the lot (as do others) to avoid dragging our trailer around town. Especially if there is a lot of snow or lots of people at the parking area. Don't let a full lot worry you, always lots of great areas with no one there.
Never had a problem leaving the trailer at Warren Wagon, the rental shops and others do to.
The other "main" lot is up the ski hill road and on your left just before the Brundage ski area (1/2 mile or so). Can't miss it, it is well marked but can't remember the name. If you use this lot, get there by 8:30am as it fills up quickly.
Cheers

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Five miles is a wild guess, could be 7 or? It's just after the end of Payette lake that you follow along on Warren Wagon. As stated before it's a no brainer once on Warren Wagon. You will see the overflow lot
On right before you get to the main lot where the road ends.

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Hey Solarguy, thanks for the time you have taken to provide all this good info. While doing a search of things to do, I came across the “Blue Moon Yurt.” It sounded like a unique dining experience. They were unable to renew their permit this year with the state park. Maybe next time. Is there anything to the south of McCall for riding or stick mostly to the north. I ride mostly all trails but I’m thinking of doing a mountain riding class thru C&M Backcountry rentals. The desire to try it is there, the talent may not. Lol

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
There is riding out of Cascade where Tamarack ski area is.
Taking a mountain riding skills course is highly recommended, trial and error is not a fun way for us older guys to learn how to ride off trail in the mountains. Pic of my wife, she didn't take up snowmobiling until she was late forties. Mountain riding courses have made mountain riding lots of fun for her. She now carves up deep powder, side hills on a ski and picks her own lines. She is 5'6"-120lbs

image.jpeg

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Learning proper off trail techniques will make your sled feel completely different and provide incredible sensations when powder riding, side billing and so on. Very very important to learn techniques
In forgiving terrain and practice until it feels natural before getting into scary or dangerous situations.
Photo of me enjoying deep powder last winter, my wife carved up the deep powder with ease now that she has the techniques mastered.
She easily puts her sled "on edge", it used to be impossible for her before learning the technique. Have fun in McCall and do get some instruction (and practice the new techniques), you will be happy you did.

IMG_4244.jpg

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Ya know, all this useful information might end up costing me more money. If I like it (mountain riding), I’ll have to buy a mountain sled cause my trail sled certainly can’t handle it. :face-icon-small-hap. Those are great pics of you both having a blast with big grin on your face under those helmets for certain. Come on SNOW!

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Learning proper off trail techniques will make your sled feel completely different and provide incredible sensations when powder riding, side billing and so on. Very very important to learn techniques
In forgiving terrain and practice until it feels natural before getting into scary or dangerous situations.
Photo of me enjoying deep powder last winter, my wife carved up the deep powder with ease now that she has the techniques mastered.
She easily puts her sled "on edge", it used to be impossible for her before learning the technique. Have fun in McCall and do get some instruction (and practice the new techniques), you will be happy you did.

I went ahead and reserved a spot for a beginner mountain riding clinic thru C&M Backcountry. Most of the classes filling up are mostly advanced riders looking to improve their skills, so I left my time frame flexible to accommodate an open date. Thanks again for all your input.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
You are so welcome, have fun and enjoy your new found skills. The important thing is to enjoy the adventures, scenery and hopefully
Get some exercise along the way.
Let me know how your trip went, McCall is a special place with lots of miles of trail to explore (and off trail).

Cheers

T
Nov 21, 2017
Idaho
Sounds like some great advise already. I did want to add that if you need service or supplies there is a dealership (Mile High Powersports) just south of McCall. They have always treated me well and can even help with things as simple as trail maps.

Enjoy your trip! Maybe I'll even see you out on the trails.

Premium Features