• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time to the Snowy's, where to stay?

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Our group is looking to make a trip to somewhere new again this March (last three years were Tog, Cooke City, & BigHorns). I've heard good things about the Snowy's, which of the above mentioned places does it compare to most?

We are coming from Mn for the week, where should we stay? We want to be able to drive our vehicles to our lodge/cabin, and ride from the lodge also! I see some places may only be accessible by sled, is this correct? Also having prepared food and gas nearby is a plus?

Do they close the highway at most of the lodges, or before?

Appreciate the replies!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Check out the lodging sticky at the top of the Wyoming forum too -

My perspective =

Albany Lodge
- Gas
- Food & Full Service Bar
- Parking
- Lower Elevation, have to ride further to the 'top of the mountain' for the climbing areas
- Good tree riding when the wind is blowing

Snowy Mtn Lodge
- Gas
- Food (no bar)
- Parking is fairly close, but not at your door
- Higher elevation closer to climbing areas

Medicing Bow Lodge
- Gas
- Food (no bar)
- Hot Tub
- Parking
- West side of mountain, less traffic, not as close to climbing areas as SML

Mountain Meadow Cabins
- Near SML
- Cabin Rental, need to snowmobile in (not too far though)
- No restaurant/bar (could ride to SML)

Rainbow Valley and Old Corral are down the road on the highway, you would have to trailer up to the trail head each day.

I'm sure others will chime in. With their thoughts, opinions, and other suggestions.

Last edited:
S
Nov 30, 2007
How big a group?
We have stayed many times on the east side but we like Ryan Park on the west side, the Rendevous has everything including a few hotels rooms. There is also a house there that people I know have rented.

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Albany gets my vote
Best cabins and facilities for sure, just wish it were up top and not on that side. Depends on type of riding you want to do though, be honest about it, tree riding and meadows, and trails= Albany side. Tree riding, through hills, or flat, jumping, climbing, boondocking in large meadows= up top front or back side. Look us up for a guided trip, we work with all the lodges, Albany lodge is my favorite lodge.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Also, what type of riding you do will help decide where to stay.

We are bringing out Crossfire 141's and 136's and a few F-cats, prob 4 guys in our late 20's. We are fairly agressive riders and wear beacons, we like to do it all. We like to hillclimb too, but its not what we are really after, put it this way we are not the ones putting highmarks next to the rock cliffs! We like boondockin in the trees and river bottoms the best, and the occasional cornice drop.

How close can a person drive to Snowy Mtn Lodge, within 1/8th mile?

Not really concerned with a bar, as we are out there to ride! We usually tired enough and dont need any help falling asleep or anything to make us feel anyworse the next day!

D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Albany Lodge is the best around the Snowies...they have everything. You have a 30 minute ride to the top but it's a beautiful ride. I stayed at SML once; service at the restaurant was poor and cabins were iffy. They are close to the top and you can drive your rig right to the parking lot. Have fun!

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Albany Lodge is the best around the Snowies...they have everything. You have a 30 minute ride to the top but it's a beautiful ride. I stayed at SML once; service at the restaurant was poor and cabins were iffy. They are close to the top and you can drive your rig right to the parking lot. Have fun!

When you say 30 mine ride by sled, is that onl or off trail? How many miles by trail. 15-20? Does that trail get pretty rough since everyone using it to get to the top and back? What elevation is Albany Lodge at? What elevation is the top? Is there descent snow to get off and play between Albany and the top?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
When you say 30 mine ride by sled, is that onl or off trail? How many miles by trail. 15-20? Does that trail get pretty rough since everyone using it to get to the top and back? What elevation is Albany Lodge at? What elevation is the top? Is there descent snow to get off and play between Albany and the top?

30 minutes would be on the trail. Have you looked at a map? Check out this link http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/Maps/index.asp

It is roughly 21 miles by trail to get to the "top" of the highway at Libby Flats from Albany. By comparison it is ~5 miles to get to this same spot from Snowy Mountain Lodge.

The trail can get rough near the Lodges but is generally in good shape. If you guys are riding during the week you should be fine.

The elevation at Albany is 8327 feet. The very top of the peak is 12,013 feet. You will do most of your riding between 9000 and 11000 feet.

There are plenty of places to get off the trail to play between Albany and the top. It isn't as "wide open" as the top, but there are plenty of meadows creeks, and other areas to play in along the trail. They aren't that hard to find.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
I have a little experience with snowy mountain lodge, stayed with 5 other guys in one of the family sized cabins last year. The good thing about them is the hot shower,full kitchen, not having to unload sleds everyday, and thats about it. The upstairs bunks are about 130 degrees, while the downstairs bedroom is mid 50s. The beds/mattresses are from WW2. Hauling your gear back to the cabin sucks, as they apparently don't have any way to smooth out the whoops, so prepare to pick your luggage up off the trail a couple times. Plus there is NOTHING to do in the evenings.

Also, I'm a flatlander too and staying up on the mountain kicked my a$$. My guts didn't feel right for the first few days, and I finally was able to take a dump the last day there.

Seriously though, our group will probably stay back in Laramie before we stay at one of those cabins again.

Just one guys opinion, so take it at face value.

B
Nov 5, 2009
The old corral gets my vote. Comfortable, free continental breakfast and a great restaurant. Kens prime rib and the chicken fried steak can't be beat. We always go away full you have to bring your own beer though. Fuel right next store at the friendly. The managers are great and really make us all feel at home. We stay there every time. Love the walking distance to all three bars in town.:)

• Wow
Reactions: Sks-ripper
D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
Winter Creek Condos gets my vote. Nice cabins and nice people. Full kitchens so you can bring ur own food or drive a few miles down to centennial for food and drinks. Depending on the time of year you can ride ur sleds from the cabin, but we usually always trailer to Greenrock and buy gas in centennial. http://www.wintercreekcondos.com/

If you do some research of past threads you will get some bad feed back on SML. Lots of potential to be an awesome place and probably one of the best places to ride from ur cabin at, but not so service friendly at all.

All in all I would recomend any of the places on the mtn with the exception of SML. Just depends on what services you are looking for. The west side will add at least another hour to your already 13 hour trip however.

I

IQRMK900

Jan 8, 2008
central Iowa
DO NOT stay at snowy mtn lodge. that place is a huge rip off and you will only be an inconvience to them anyway!! If you don't mind trailering for a shorter trip to the top stay at The Old Corral. if you must ride from your door stay at albany lodge.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
And there's always Albany Cabins http://albanycabins.com

Yep - right in Albany and you can ride from your door!

I'm partial to Albany because we always ride out of there. The main disadvantage is the location in relation to the climbing areas and the west side of the mountain. The west side usually gets the most snow (but sometimes not by much) and the big climbs are part of the allure of mountain riding.

But like Ollie and others have said it depends on what kind of riding you and your group want to do. If you are staying out there for 7 days IMO you could stay at any of the places on the mountain. There is a lot of terrain to cover up there and IMO you have to let the conditions guide your ride if you are unfamiliar with the area. If it is snowing and blowing like crazy - stick to the trees/trails/FS roads and meadows, if you are going to be up there for 7 days, your blue-bird powder day on the top of the mountain is probably only a day or two away :)

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Mountain Meadow Cabins is an option but you must ride your sled a mile or so to get there. They will haul your luggage up for you. Elevation can be a factor if you're prone to altitude sickness. If you stay the first night in Laramie, then you should be fine from then on.

• Wow
Reactions: Sks-ripper
Premium Features