• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Time to Alpine

Heading to Alpine the beginning of February for the first time. trying to make the trip on a budget.
Any advice on where to stay, cheap?
best areas to ride? Steeper the better!
Is there dealers in town?
trouble areas to watch out for?
anything we should know about the area?

Thanks in advance!

I've heard good things about rockin m ranch. Flying saddle
Is very nice too I think they are fairly reasonable too. Dealers would be the ski doo dealer in Thayne and then there's a Polaris dealer as well close to thayne if I remember right. If it's your first time going to alpine I would highly suggest a guide. There is plenty of steep areas there and plenty of areas you can get in trouble if you don't know where your going. Hire a guide and be safe! Plenty of riding up greys river.

Best riding in Wyoming - by far - steep and deep and everything else.
Rockin M Ranch has nice cabins, great people, but south of town a few miles. Flying Saddle is where we stay but a bit expensive, ride right from your front door. Three Rivers Hotel, less expensive, right in town, walk for food, and beer. Ride from front door. Gas across the street on the way to trails head.
There will be a big group ( good riders, good guys) from Anoka area that could give you directions ( give them beer) on where to go. They might even let you catch on, but quite a large group. They can give you a lot of info, been there many years in a row. If snow is good you can ride the Idaho side also for something different. Again right out of your front door.
Three Rivers Hotel - 307-654-7551

Best riding in Wyoming

I say its a close 2nd :) My personal best is north of alpine and south of Teton Pass.... Snake River Range. Wyoming and Idaho blend together in that area and there are no marked trails so hire a guide or a local. Lots of deep untouched snow and as steep and technical as you want to get.

If you want "some" trails to guide you and explore on your own, go south of Alpine down to Bedford.... Strawberry creek and Willow creek.

The main trail system that you can take right out of Alpine is fine too, just lots of trail miles to get to the good riding areas. Some of those trails get beat up pretty quick too. have fun! Eric

I say its a close 2nd :)The main trail system that you can take right out of Alpine is fine too, just lots of trail miles to get to the good riding areas.

That's not true, but you won't find the close good stuff without a local or guide.

Three Rivers Hotel will be your cheapest, but I'd check out Rockin' M for the hospitality and guiding. The Grey's River trail, right in town, will be good for a first time. Blind Bull is a 30 mile trail ride, but there are lots of meadows to play in. The Box Y ranch is another mile down the trail from where you turn to go to Blind Bull. They serve lunch and have gas for the trip back. They're 8 or 9 miles from Blind Bull.

You can also branch off of the Grey's River trail and head to McCain Meadows. Lots of stuff there to explore.

Just a few miles in from Alpine, take a right and go over the bridge on the C trail. There are some fun meadows just off of this trail. There's also some extremely challenging stuff off of this trail, but you'll need someone that knows where to go. There's several ravines with no way out. Just go uphill.

There's tons of other areas nearby, but this is a good start for newbies to the area. These are also the busiest areas, so you may run into someone that can tell you where to go. Just bring a GPS and explore.

Just a few miles in from Alpine, take a right and go over the bridge on the C trail. There are some fun meadows just off of this trail. There's also some extremely challenging stuff off of this trail, but you'll need someone that knows where to go. There's several ravines with no way out. Just go uphill.

This picture was taken only about a mile from that turn off :) It was DEEP that day, my little 162 3" trying to hang with the turbo sleds..... Fail!

I'd definitely recommend rockin m ranch. Nice place to stay and Rob will point out all the good riding in the area.

Stayed out there year ago, ridding was good, but you are at low elevation, starting out, had a sled go down because of that.
Stayed at bull moose lodge saloon. With the bar right there, restaurant and you could ride right out. Nothing wrong with flying saddle, but you have to cross the river if you want to ride.
We stopped at Black Mountain rental, very nice people, they pointed us to a couple nice spots to start with.
I would go talk to them, I think the owner rides sled and tells everyone at work what the conditions are like and were to go.

This is Rob with Rockin' M. Thanks for the positive comments. Where to stay? If you are on a tighter budget, the Three Rivers is the least expensive right in Alpine. The Flying Saddle is nicer and more expensive, more similar to our prices. Flying saddle is a motel with onsite food and an indoor pool. Rockin' M is more similar to renting a condo or vacation rental. Cabins have full kitchens, direct TV, gas fireplaces, wifi, gas grills on covered decks, and hot tubs. We also have private access to the National Forest to the West. We do not have food onsite, but Alpine is 5 minutes away. Depends on what your after? As for lower elevation, as mentioned in an above post. Alpine does sit at about 5800 feet with most riding between from 5800-10,000. This year, so far, the riding is great from the Valley floor on up. This is turning into what looks like one of the best winters we have seen in years. Currently our snow pack is sitting at 140% of average. If your interested in staying with us check us out at http://rockinmranchwyoming.com
email: rockinmranch@silverstar.com or call 307-654-2288

We always stay at rocking m ranch. Great people and will help you out with info and suggestions.

Thanks everyone for your replys. We ended up booking at the flying saddle. Can't wait! Where is the nearest cat dealer? 1/2 our crew is on cats and one of them is a pro at breaking stuff!

Premium Features

Back