• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time rider essentials list

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam sure to be part of the problem for you guys. The guy that just goes and buys snowmobiles and shows up to fuc@ things up. I don't wanna be that guy so what's your and what should my essential kit be on the snowmobiles and in my truck? We have expensive clothes from skiing and I'll buy good helmets . We have transceivers and shovels/packs from skiing. So I'll say the PPE is covered but I dunno about mechanical stuff? We have factory tool boxes but should I bring others? I have a full snap on box of tools. Should I buy a unstuck bunge rope thing? Tow strap? Which one? Should I buy a rake shovel for one sled? The snowmobiles came with tunnel bags too so theres that room. What's in a snowmobile first aid kit that maybe different than my rafting/backpacking one? I know its alot to ask but might as well be prepared. so whats your kit look like and what have you learned to have in the truck. Thanks Charlie

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
some paracord is good to have, good for tying sled parts back together strapping things to the sled, tourniquet, use it to pull off exhaust springs, etc. I have a space blanket, the sleeping bag style in case you have to spend the night. two kinds of fire starters water proof matches and kindling. I bring a gps with me, nothing special just so you know where you are and where you've been and where to go. extra food thats high in fat, candy bars protien bars slim jims etc, extra pair of socks and extra fleece shirt, about 3 pairs of gloves total, its nice to have a dry pair for the ride back to the pickup. extra clutch belt and the tools to change it. for other tools i would look over the sled and make sure you have a wrench that tighten anything that might come loose or you might have to take of. i carry replacement clutch springs and the tools to change them. a gallon of extra gas is nice too. spare goggles are nice too. i have a tree saw that is like a chainsaw blade with handles on it, but any saw will work. sounds like a lot of stuff and guys ask what the hell ive got in all my bags but if i have to spend the night out in the back country i SHOULD be fine. i also just ordered a Spot gps so i can text and send sos when out of cell service.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^Agree.
plastic coated tie wire, zip ties (regular and heavy duty ones), gorilla tape and a wad of mule tape are all priceless on the right (wrong) day.
Tools, aside from universal stuff, a small set of specific wrenches that will turn most all bolts on the machine.
Road flares are handy too.
Don’t bother with the bungee things. Imo.

And after years of riding, between cutting trees for various reasons, and fixing a few wrecked sleds in the field, if you’re trying to decide between a saw or hatchet, bring both. Hatchet doubles as a hammer and have used it twice as such when there were no other options to get going again

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
You’ll never have the right sh!t at the right time... So just carry a pocket full of $100 bills. You’ll be just fine!
I had that once, we were dang near walking. Two of us on my t pro on one cylinder with a hole in the case. Finally waved down the only group we saw in three hours of limping.
Offered em 200$ for a two mile ride
They said it was their last day there so they didn't have time cause they had to get back to Canada.
Money can't solve all problems

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I had that once, we were dang near walking. Two of us on my t pro on one cylinder with a hole in the case. Finally waved down the only group we saw in three hours of limping.
They said it was their last day there so they didn't have time cause they had to get back to Canada.

So carry a long block?

U
Feb 24, 2019
Some asshats right there...

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Well.. if chadly was here, he'd say buy a Polaris and you'll never need to carry a tool or strap ever again... ;)

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Tampons also they are good fire starters plus the can be used for emergency deep cuts and wounds. Also a good compass.

Premium Features