• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Factory Polaris turbo ???

S
Jan 17, 2011
Interesting bypass intake system. Must have some sort of check valve in the system so it doesn't blow the boost back into the intake. Too bad it doesn't have an optional race gas tune! Be cool to have 180+ hp at sea level option. But this may come later. I also heard them say that it's only a one year deal? Do you think they're just testing the waters?
Banks used a system of similar design for 20 years on twin turbo small block chevys.
At low power the turbos pumped into the atmosphere to help keep their rpm up. Engine vacuum controlled the dump valves. Now it is being done electronically. Tuners are going to love the new engine. If its reliable we will see them running boost at sea level on premium before long.
As long as it sells looks like the trend of the future. Personally I'd still be tempted to go the aftermarket route for gains at all altitudes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Interesting bypass intake system. Must have some sort of check valve in the system so it doesn't blow the boost back into the intake.

They use an electronic valve to close it off but it's really not a new idea. I have a buddy that's been running a similar concept for years. But his is a passive reed type design.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I realize it's a 4 stroke but Polaris has had factory turbos for years in the Rzr lineup. I think they have enough experience at producing and warranting a factory turbo. Interesting that both Cat and Ski Doo felt the need for extremely early releases. Hmm....

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Let’s be realistic here fellas..... 165hp Means this little guy is probably only capable of 3-5psi max. 165 is 165 at 10,000 ft. So is 220 on an 800 or 850 Axys with a boondocker. Price tag on these doos I can only imagine what it will be.... buy your own turbo kit and sled and your probably gonna be coming in somewhat close in price and getting way more power for your bucks. And besides nobody is ever gonna make a real turbo sled with warranty. It just won’t happen.

Good on these guys for leading the pack and putting one out there. Hopefully the followers will put a little more boost into their stabs at the market share.....Then again, a stock power level sled with the sound of a turbo might be a lot of fun too.

I’m biased I like big boost !
Bret Rasmussen said 4psi max

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I ride 0-3000 so I have the choice of a turboed 2020 850 @165hp or a NA 2019 850 @165hp.

Let me time to think here...

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

At 3,000 feet you will have a turbo w/ 165 HP or a NA sled with 150 HP. Not a huge difference for the lower elevation people, but some will spend some coin on other solutions for even a 10-15 HP gain.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I applaud Ski doo again. I'd love to have 165 hp at elevation. The motor is designed to deliver and run at 165 hp. The sea level guys have always had that benefit. Polaris and Cat would be foolish to not follow suit. Have it as an option for the guys that want to spend the cash but don't want to lose the warranty and fiddle with tuning their own turbo.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Hopefully they will have better than just 1 year engine warranty..... That would make me as nervous as owning my 2019 Patriot out of warranty. Very cool to see a factory turbo this is a great option for guys that want a pull and go setup. I would have preferred a narrower and lighter chassis, but to each their own.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Having never run a turbo I've always wondered how much of a risk they are to the engine life. If the engine is designed to run 165 hp and all this low boost turbo does is allow it to run 165 hp at all elevations, is it going to hurt engine longevity that much? I'd be interested in the opinions of you turbo aficionados.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Having never run a turbo I've always wondered how much of a risk they are to the engine life. If the engine is designed to run 165 hp and all this low boost turbo does is allow it to run 165 hp at all elevations, is it going to hurt engine longevity that much? I'd be interested in the opinions of you turbo aficionados.

My 2016 axys is 200-210 hp with an intercooled mtntk kit and it has 2000 trouble free miles. I would never go N/A again.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California

I’m new to snowmobiling this year,(2020pro rmk 163 850) but I have lots of experience with turboed aircraft. In my application I run what is called a Turbonormalizer. It essentially slowly adds in Boost so that up to over 22,000 feet my 550 Cubic inch engine thinks it is still at sea level and performs as such. I think an engine loses 3% hp per 1,000’ elevation.
If an engine is rated to put out max hp continuously, then having it lightly boosted to make sea level power all the time shouldn’t harm it, as long as certain parameters are met. Overboost and preignition will kill an engine rapidly. Therefore I bet the new Doo is very tame in its boost and tuning.
Here’s to the new FACTORY TURBO power wars that are sure to ensue!

PS, my 850 hasn’t left me wanting more power yet, but I’ve never ridden it below 7,000’ feet yet. Maybe I’d be shocked if I felt sea level power for once.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Also of note.

Having never run a turbo snowmobile, you haven’t lived yet...........

Everything happens so quickly.

Call it riding a 250f mx bike vs riding a 450.

Premium Features