• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust Valve Solenoid Leaking Oil Bad!!!

MNSledShed

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2010
Southern Minnesota
Ive noticed a large puttle of oil under my sled from the last three weeks after i got back from a trip. It seems to be coming from the oil line coming from the exhaust valve solenoid. I was premixing my tanks after having Indy Dan rebuild motor. Is this normal from pre mixing and if i stop mixing will it go away? Or is that solenoid shot?

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the leak is normal. the solenoid will collect oil from the valves and it will slowly drain out when sitting..you may have more oil than normal since your mixing prlly 50:1 right now. but you will always need to run premix to keep that motor healthy!!

you should always mix the sled 100:1 (1oz per gallon) for life ;)

you can just plug the exhaust valves right off the valve assembly (dont tie together, cap each valve individually) and leave the solenoid alone...just remove the hoses and cap the valves..this will increase performance and eliminate the oil in the lines that drain on the floor ;)

MNSledShed

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2010
Southern Minnesota
Whats the easiest way to plug them Guido? And one other quick question, I only went 200 miles on belts on my last trip. Clutches seem to be aligned and motor mounts are good. It was warmer on the last trip and I still have stock air cleaner on so I know clutches were warm. Might be leaving in a couple days for Snowies. Any suggestions ? Thanks man!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Just remove the hoses and plug the output from the valves with good quality vacuum caps. put a zip tie around the caps to make sure they do not come off. Remove hoses from the solenoid but do not remove the solenoid.

I run 1/2 oz oil per gal of gas in all sleds for top end lubrication.

Head pics 011.jpg

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Z-man---Did you change the springs in the valves or drill the holes as mentioned in the other post.
Thanks

Didn't change springs but I think it would be wise to get a set for the elevation you are running. SLP sells different springs and has an elevation chart.

Turbo had the extra holes drilled and it would blow holes in the bellows so I had to switch out the exhaust valve bases.

jtpolaris

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ND
www.dirtracing17.com
I ride mostly in mt or wy. So u don't have any lowend bog/hesitation with stock springs. I'm guessing that's y I had a bog when I blocked them off here when I was troubleshooting one time.
Thanks

Premium Features