• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust leak between Y-pipe and pipe

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Noticed it yesterday when I fired the 'ol girl up. Light amount of exhaust coming from right between the Y-pipe and pipe. Should I put a new donut gasket in there, new springs, or just leave it alone?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Noticed it yesterday when I fired the 'ol girl up. Light amount of exhaust coming from right between the Y-pipe and pipe. Should I put a new donut gasket in there, new springs, or just leave it alone?

If you're concerend about it, a little thin layer of High -Temp silicone onto the do-nut, after you've wiped it down with Brakleen or lacquer thinner.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Pipe/donut gasket

I wasn't sure if it was worth worrying about or not. I'll try to remember to dab some silicone on there if I get a chance.

It's personal preference.

Some look at it as just an exhaust leak, I look at it as an intake leak with the fuel charge going past that point to the end of the pipe, so thats' why I would seal it, just my humble opinion.

Other than 15 minutes of your time, there's no downside to sealing it.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Is it leaking oil from there? If not then it is sealing once it heats up. Lots of times it will leak when cold and seal once it heats up.

But as the others said, clean it up good and seal it with some silly cone. When on the power your pipe will actually be under pressure, pressure that is pushing back into the cylinder effectively increasing your charge and increasing your power. If your pipe is leaking you are losing power.

Reactions: donbrown

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If it stops leaking after warm up then silicon seal it.

If it leaks all the time then new donut.

What size donut is that anyway?

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
It's personal preference.

Some look at it as just an exhaust leak, I look at it as an intake leak with the fuel charge going past that point to the end of the pipe, so thats' why I would seal it, just my humble opinion.

Other than 15 minutes of your time, there's no downside to sealing it.
I was thinking it probably wouldn't hurt, I just need to find some hi-temp silicone and have at it.
devil- no oil that I've noticed, but I haven't rode the sled yet this year. I just fired it up in the garage the other day and noticed the leak.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Do something about it. Additional air can led to a lean mixture. You could lose a piston. I have a buddy who had a cracked Y-pipe and this happened.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had my pipe off doing a re-gear. Cleaned the receiver bell with brake cleaner and let it dry. Then fingered in a light coat of Ultra Copper in the tube and let it cure. Did this on the receiver end of the muffler as well. I think as the motor cycles in a rocking motion for so many miles it starts to wear the donut and other parts out. The addition of this "rubber" bumper can't hurt anything and should seal up to keep the oil crud to a minimum.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I was thinking it probably wouldn't hurt, I just need to find some hi-temp silicone and have at it.
devil- no oil that I've noticed, but I haven't rode the sled yet this year. I just fired it up in the garage the other day and noticed the leak.

99 cent store has a 1/2 ounce for ... 99 cents.

Premium Features