• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

exhaust cans in the UP

D
Dec 8, 2008
Hey everyone, i am from central MN, but i ride up in the UP a few times every winter. My question is....are the cops up there pretty hard on people with exhaust cans on their sleds? I have a xfire 700 with an mbrp can, and a Xfire 1000 with a speedwerx can. They are kinda loud, and i hate that we lose trails every year because of people with loud sleds, but i don't even have the stock can for the 1000, and i love the weight reduction. thanks

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I have an SLP can on my 07 600 rMK, my brother has a Skinz Ulta Q on his, the quiet one, and another friend has an SLP pipe/can on his 05 900, and we were at a check point with a dnr and sheriff there, cheking for registration, and they didn't say anything about our sleds. BUT, these cans are all pretty quiet, not sure what they would do if the cans were pretty load. This was up in the Keweenaw.

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I have been stopped once by twin lakes and once by calumet, both times checking for reg stickers. While stopped the cop said dont rap on the sled in town and can is ok. I had a mbrp can which IMO is the loudest. just ride smart by town

906 Bob

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
The 906 of MI
www.myspace.com
I rode all last season in west and central upper Michigan on a assault with a HPS can (which I consider loud) and a mod with race twins (needs no explanation)....never got stopped, got some dirty looks but never stopped but I mind my manners when I'm in town if you use some common sense the law enforcement around here is pretty cool

S
Last season we were loading up at the BP in Twin Lakes...our group was somewhat split up and I arrived in the first wave only to have a DNR parked at the station. DAMMIT! The first of us had cans but they weren't exactly loud and we weren't rapping on them. We knew one guy coming was LOUD with a blown out MBRP and the other had race twins. They come rallying into the station, don't see the DNR, and rip around the building. We thought for sure we were done for. Guy looks at us and goes about his business.

The one and only time we got harassed was while leaving Evolution Sled park in Bessemer. There apparently was a complaint about trespassing. The DNR intercepted us and stopped us. We got a STERN talking to about how we were trespassing, half of us didn't have trail stickers, probably most of us didn't have our registration cards and he could impound our sleds until we provided proof of ownership, AND how most of us had cans. Guy let us off on everything, but we kissed alot of butt and said alot of "sorry sir" and "yes sir, you won't have issues with us again".

Last edited:
Premium Features