• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical Question 2006 RMK 700

S
Mar 21, 2011
Yesterday out riding and my Multi Functional display stops working after a sound came from under the hood. Sled still runs, reverse still functions, Headlight Works, handwarmers fine... Just the MFD is out. I pulled it up to my wifes sled (same sled) and hooked the wiring harness to hers and the MFD works fine...

Question is where do I start looking for the problem?

Thanks in Advance,

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Seems like any time I've read about the mfd display going out the cause is usually the volt regulator. Not sure if the 2006's had the bad regulators that plagued the 08-10's but I'd deffinitly
Run some test on it if i were u. As far as hearing a sound that almost makes me think something with the speedo cable.

S
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Volt Regulator? Does that add up with everything else working? I assume this is located behind the fuel tank in the 2006?

Speedo cable? Does this sled have a cable, I thought it was an electrical pickup?

S
Mar 21, 2011
Because the 2006 700 was basically the same as the 900 you could browse through the 900 section. Pay attention to last post of this thread in particular. http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423439

Thanks, I looked through that thread last night... I used to own a 900 and so I know that forum well (glad to be rid of it).

I guess my difference from all I am seeing from other posts is the only thing not working is the MFD, all the rest of the electrical is fine, so what part does it point most to? I hate buying guesses.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'm not that familiar with that sled but isn't that right around the time that headlights, handwarmers etc were still run off AC from the stator like older sleds previously did but also used DC power for other functions? Do you have a chassis power up connector at the front left of the engine with Brown/Red wires where you could hook up a 12v battery to power the mfd?

S
Mar 21, 2011
I'm not that familiar with that sled but isn't that right around the time that headlights, handwarmers etc were still run off AC from the stator like older sleds previously did but also used DC power for other functions? Do you have a chassis power up connector at the front left of the engine with Brown/Red wires where you could hook up a 12v battery to power the mfd?

If so that would add up... I'll check tonight for the connector.

S
Mar 21, 2011
update

So I have both tested and swapped

the Chassis Relay
the Regulator
the Capacitor

All work on my wifes sled.

So what is next?

stator? If the lights and hand warmers are on there is power right?

I find no fuses???

Busted wire?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
What does the service manual say about testing the stator or how the ac and dc power is split on your 2006? like retiredpop said that year might have the two currents split at the stator. U could try swapping mfd's from your wife's sled incase it's just that but I wouldn't risk possibly damaging that one till you've tested the stator. Other options might be unplugging things like handwarmers to see if there's a change

S
Mar 21, 2011
What does the service manual say about testing the stator or how the ac and dc power is split on your 2006? like retiredpop said that year might have the two currents split at the stator. U could try swapping mfd's from your wife's sled incase it's just that but I wouldn't risk possibly damaging that one till you've tested the stator. Other options might be unplugging things like handwarmers to see if there's a change

I have swapped MFDs with my wifes sled. The Aux power is just fine. The Stator tests fine. I don't see in the manual where it talks about how the power is split (but I'm not an electrical expert).

My current theory is a busted wire, I found the schematic that tells where power is coming to power the MFD, since I have Aux Power, I assume there is no power to that pin powering the MFD. I'll test and trace that tonight if there is no power.

Gotta say it stinks to tear into 2 sleds at once, but having a functioning replica 2 ft away is helpful.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Did u take the good mfd off and put it on the sled with the bad one? Or just swap connections at the base of the hood wire harness? I'd maybe disconnect the wires that the mfd plug into and harness at base o hood and check continuity on those wires

S
Mar 21, 2011
Did u take the good mfd off and put it on the sled with the bad one? Or just swap connections at the base of the hood wire harness? I'd maybe disconnect the wires that the mfd plug into and harness at base o hood and check continuity on those wires

I'm not following the question. I Completely unplugged it and hooked it to the other sled..

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I'm not sure if u removed the mfd from one (good one) and put it on the bad one and it worked? Or u just plugged the wire harness by the hood hinge (the one u can disconnect to remove the hood) and just swapped the connection there from one sled to the other? If u did the first one (mfd swap) and it worked then my thought is the mfd is bad. If u did the 2nd one (wire harness swap) and it worked, that still could mean there's a short in the wires that go from the hood harness to the mfd somewhere. So I was suggesting trying Just swapping mfd only as that will tell u if mfd is bad or wire short somewhere. It makes since in my head but...idk lol

S
Mar 21, 2011
I'm not sure if u removed the mfd from one (good one) and put it on the bad one and it worked? Or u just plugged the wire harness by the hood hinge (the one u can disconnect to remove the hood) and just swapped the connection there from one sled to the other? If u did the first one (mfd swap) and it worked then my thought is the mfd is bad. If u did the 2nd one (wire harness swap) and it worked, that still could mean there's a short in the wires that go from the hood harness to the mfd somewhere. So I was suggesting trying Just swapping mfd only as that will tell u if mfd is bad or wire short somewhere. It makes since in my head but...idk lol

Got it...

I pulled the sleds nose to nose and disconnected the harness at the hood hinge point and connected sled 2s display to sled 1 and vica versa. The MFD hooked up to my sled worked so I have 2 functioning MFDs... Meaning the issue is on the sled side of the "hinge connector".

I'm guessing a wire break as:
the regulator is fine
the capacitor is fine
the relay is fine
a short would short out the aux port as well (I think).

I'll test the orange power pin tonight, I hope it has no power as that would be the simplest trace...

S
Mar 21, 2011
I'm totally lost now...

Power is fine, all wires ohm out the same on both sleds.

So anyone have any idea what tells the MFD to turn on? I assumed power, but there is power to it and on 1 sled it comes on and the other it does not???

All lights (break, oil, high beam indicator) work fine on the MFD

Chassis Wire Descriptions in the image.

chassis wires.png

S
Mar 21, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED...

So I have found the Root of the problem.

I found that I indeed had voltage, but no amps to the MFD. But I did have amps to my aux power. Running the MFD alone off AUX worked fine, so I started tracing out where my power was going in my hood connector. On Accident I left hood connector #2 disconnected and my MFD started working (lucky right there), connector #2 only has 5 wires, so I connected each one at a time till the MFD turned off... and it was the speed Sensor, shorted out that was causing my issue. Remember in Post #1 there was a sound??? digging into the speed sensor I found the Jack Shaft Bearing was exploded which is the root of the real problem...

And to think I was about to head out this weekend with no MFD cuz everything seemed fine.

Now the real bad news... I have 2 sleds mostly tore apart needing to go back together, when all along the issue was right behind 5 bolts with pretty easy access.

Thanks for all the advice,
Keith

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Glad to hear!

Electric problems are the worst aspecaily on sleds with two different currents. Think of all the $$$ u coulda spent on vr's, capacitors, mfd's and such tracking this down! Of course it woulda became quite evident shortly down the trail cause of that bearing.

Thanks for posting your solution. Seems like most the posts I read, a problem is stated, multiple pointers are made, and the original poster never says what worked leaving the reader with what could be nothing but dead ends if he or she has a similar problem. Ok got that off my chest! Lol

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
In reading your findings, I had a similar experience some years back on my 05 900. The speed sensor started reading funny, reading 30-75 mph while idling at a stop. I disconnected the speed sensor and rode the rest of the day without it. I ordered up a used speed sensor and hooked it up and just as you posted, the MFD was DEAD on start up so I quickly shut the sled off hoping I hadn't ruined something with my cheap used sensor. I then unplugged the sensor and re-started the sled and everything was fine, except for again not having a working speedometer. A quick call to the dealer to order a brand new speed sensor and I was back in business.

Sometimes the speed sensors on these sleds just up and fail with no provocation, though sometimes it is an indication of a bad-bearing on that side. Have a good look at the bearing before putting it back together, but if the bearing looks good, I wouldn't get too worried about it, my sensor failed for no reason about 6 yrs ago and the bearing is still going fine.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to find your problem.:face-icon-small-hap

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Yes, you got 2 sleds to put back together but think of how much money you saved. I don't think a shop would have been as thorough as you were in diagnosing the problem. Give yourself a pat on the back for figuring it out!

Last edited:
Premium Features