• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

early chic choc mountains

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I want to head up to canada gaspe region from ny early season whats the soonest I can head up without destroying my sled on a covered stump or rock? Also never been so any pointers on border crossing and accommodations will be great too thanks.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
coldestwinter

If you are flexible....I'd play it by ear.....when conditions go epic...make the trip. Sled Den http://www.gaspe-snowmobile-adventures.com/snowmobiling-about-us.html
has a blog you can watch which will give you conditions on the north shore of Gaspe as they evolve (some of the better riding areas). I can too.

Since Gaspe is close to sea level, every year is different and early season is always somewhat unpredictable. 2 years ago we were riding November 8th. Last year...Jan 10th...so it depends.

Realistically, mid to late December is a safe bet for snow but it really depends on how the year sets up. This year looks normal so far, albiet overall preciptitation is lighter than usual for the entire east coast so don't know how that will play into winter snowfall.

If you come to Gaspe, include Murdochville in your plans. It's a PITA to get to but is smack in the middle of the snow belt and has backcountry in every direction. Hotel Copper has a sledders special and you can park ur sled right at the front door. It's not high end by any means, but a solid place to stay. Amqui, New Richmond, Carleton, Matane are other solid options. Do you homework first.

Hope you make your trip.

OTM

Premium Features