• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon belts??

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
I had over 1300 miles in this year on an 080.I do nothing but hill climbing,just use the trails to get there...mostly boondocking to get there. The xs-809's cross reference with the 115,so saving over $100 a belt .

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
First time i disagree with the Horse but then again he says he's not a large body so it's different for those guys. Addict has it correct go back and reread what he said and think a sec, got 3 seasons on the 15 belt on the 727 like was said thou I don't tackle every hill all day long but I pull a few out during the day with a bunge and that's hard on em, after 3 seasons the cost of the belt is nothing 15's for me.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I too think if your trail riding the 080 belt is ok..if you like to ride deep and steep and keep it pinched all day..the 15 belt is the only way to go..they are different on setup as well..the clutches should be setup to run the 080 belt(primary belt clearence, deflection and c-c distance to get best performance and life..With the 15 belt I can do repeated nonstop climbs for hours in steep deep snow...the 80 belt will not take it ..it will come unglued..my last belt went 1100 miles before finally pulling a thread(just started to pull loose)this includes mostly all powder riding including towing loaded sleds in and out to my cabin(42 miles one way), towing several dead sleds to the road(one was a 65 mile tow, several in the 25+ mile range...

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
My buddies are always blowing their 080 belts, I'm still using my original belts on both mine.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I'm looking at my new-to-me '09 D8 in my garage, and I see I need at least one new belt. I'm leaning very hard towards the 115 belt, even at the higher cost.

I'm coming from an M7, and my wife still has hers (for now), and I never thought the Carlisle belts were a better choice. I tried one, and it really behaved differently in the clutches. So, it became my backup.

Since I'm going to stick with the 115 belt, who has the best prices? I saw them on Dirtcheapsnow.com for $150 each. Any other sources?

Thanks,
PE

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Well, I have a done a ton of research on using different belts. My sled was a demo 07 600 that came with a well used 080 belt. Once I got my hands on it it got a Highmark rec turbo. I then installed a 115 belt and bought a 809 belt as a back up. The 115 got a really good break in as the first ride on it we took my 8 yo nephew on a easy boondocking trail ride. I then put 800 plus miles on it. Now these are hard miles as I am the type to rarely watch anyone. When everyone else is sitting I am off finding a cool sidehill or forcing my way up something tight and steep. Well at around 850 miles MY wife jumped on it on a road and started riding it to the truck. I couldnt catch her untill.... It blew into a trilion peices. I have never seen a belt in so many peices it was comical. It didnt hurt anything either. So on went the 809. I broke it in and decided to run one of the many leftover belts I have from the edge days. The 080 seemed like a good belt and I rode a lot of miles with it. Normal wear that you would have seen on an edge sled.
We were riding at sonora wich is up close to 10k and I was not happy with how my sled was performing so I switched to the 809. Man what a difference. Now I never touched my clutching between the three belts so I understand I was leaving a little on the 080 but I am so impressed with the 809 that I bought 3. Put one on my wifes 600 and 2 on my T600. Now I have lots of the 080s left so when I see her smoke a belt it will get the 080 but I am sold on the xs 809. I think it is every bit as good as the 115 but cheaper. I dont think there is anything to be had by using the 115 over the xs809. That is my opinion and what I will be running on my T600 or any other iq sleds I ever own.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Very well said. :beer;
As a very sticky compound you need to clutch for them, but they are the best performing belt I have used. They certainly can take some abuse too. I am pretty relentless when riding as I like to boon dock for hours on end so the belt really needs to be able to handle the heat.

Premium Features