• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

does leaving key on but killswitch off still drain battery?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Hi guys! so I'm wondering about this. Ive heard some guys turn the key off each time because otherwise your battery will drain as to the kill switch. BUT I figured killswitch off is just as good? but I'm wondering if you do got to turn the key off?

I ask this because my batt seemed a bit low so I charged it up the other night. went for a ride yesterday. and check it today. 12.3V!!! thats with ignition switch on. killswitch off.

So does leaving the key on and kill switch off still kill the battery?? Thanks!

Nope. Kill switch is all you need. Bad battery I would assume. Make sure charging system is working while running. Should be at 13.5 ish volts while idling. I assume nytro?

Nope. Kill switch is all you need. Bad battery I would assume. Make sure charging system is working while running. Should be at 13.5 ish volts while idling. I assume nytro?

Its a 06 apex and charging was 14.3V when i did a quick check.

I've not tried it myself but i have been told that "key on" and 'kill switch off" will drain battery, and i always followed that rule, always use key when putting it away for the day, never had a problem. (LiPo batteries aside)

Skickat från min YP-G70 via Tapatalk 2

I've not tried it myself but i have been told that "key on" and 'kill switch off" will drain battery, and i always followed that rule, always use key when putting it away for the day, never had a problem. (LiPo batteries aside)

Skickat från min YP-G70 via Tapatalk 2

That's been my experience as well. Key on with kills witch off will equal a dead battery

Yes it will!! It leaves the back light on the display on. Probably good for a couple of hours but not overnight

Battery

For summer storage, can i assume that by disconnecting the headlite pod I don't need to remove air box to disconnect battery?

I put an Earth X in so I'm not too worried about the battery discharge as they brag how much less lithium is than lead/acid.

with my killswitch off my gauge turns off. so basically if i turn my key on with killswitch off. it makes no difference. acts the same as key off anyways.

But I just didnt know if any hidden parasitic draws might be around with key on or not.

But thanks for the info guys. I guess safe case is obviously to turn the key off when sleds stored

Premium Features

Back