• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D&D Shift Assist?

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
Ok so i ordered a D&D shift assist hearing that it's one of the best mods a guy can do. The mechanic at the dealer said they were crap and all they did was acted like a shim to throw your clutch alignment off. Is this true? what luck have you guys had with them? Im all stock un clutching right now btw

R
It is used to stop the spring from having to slide on a piece of plastic as it turns, instead it rolls on the bearing. Does not have anything to do with clutch alignment. Make sure all screws are replaced with new ones, stainless steel is best instead of oem, when the secondary is put back together. How well it works......haven't tried one where that is the only thing changed, usually more than than being done at the same time. In theory should help free up secondary movement.

S
Jan 21, 2009
It helps eliminate spring windup. (smoother backshift) I have ran one for years and works great. I would worry about that mechanic!

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
helix screws

Make sure all screws are replaced with new ones, stainless steel is best instead of oem, when the secondary is put back together.

Why would one want to replace the screws.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Replace the screws to save yourself a headache down the road. The stock screws are pieces of crap. They are ussually only good for one removal and then they will break off when you try to take them out again leaving you having to drill and retap the hole. I replaced mine everytime I took the clutch apart (it only costs a few dollars) to save my self the headache...

Reactions: longrider
R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Replace the screws to save yourself a headache down the road. The stock screws are pieces of crap. They are ussually only good for one removal and then they will break off when you try to take them out again leaving you having to drill and retap the hole. I replaced mine everytime I took the clutch apart (it only costs a few dollars) to save my self the headache...

Look on my frind there is a better way !

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161538

Reactions: longrider

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
i also machined mine down so i could use the allen heads sunk down. I broke three the first time i tore mine apart. Stock screws suck

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I have had mine apart now a couple times and never busted one, knock on wood but i think now that its apart again i will replace and countersink them. One thing i noticed is if you use a cheap torx bit you may have problems i busted two of them before finding a good one, i also used my impact driver but found after the first one it was no longer needed they weren't that tight back them out slowly, this was just my experience and i know others have had problems, also when counter boring those holes make sure to take the exact amount of each one or you may have a balancing problem (use a press and set to the exact depth). JMT

M
Feb 21, 2009
Stock screws...

First time fine
second time fine
third time I wanted to put my head in the vise for putting them back in the time before. Just finished up countersinking the new allen headed stainless screws last night. Worked out slick! Bought like 20 of them so I'll have spares for $6. Good Luck!

MR MOOSE

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2008
Gods country B.C. !
Thats too funny BigRed118! But ya it sounds like the mechanic could use the advise. I have one in my 1000 and it works great, I actually picked up another one today and was thinking about trying to put one on both sides of the spring to free things up a bit more. I have no idea if this is possible yet or if it will make a difference but for the cost I thought it was worth trying when I change the helix. If nothing else I guess I'll have a spare.

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
shift assist

I had my secondary apart and knew that it was to come apart again in the near future. Thanks to the great info on here I too have had my sheave counter bored for installing stainless allen head screws. Pretty slick.

A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
I had my secondary apart and knew that it was to come apart again in the near future. Thanks to the great info on here I too have had my sheave counter bored for installing stainless allen head screws. Pretty slick.

Just did the same last night. about a half-hour job to save countless hours down the road and a lot of headaches. They need to come from the factory like this.

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
I'm going to be putting the BD extreme rock rollers and shift assist in my secondary soon and I want to get my clutch counterbored to accept the stainless screws. I don't have a drill press, so I'm looking for a good shop to do the whole works for me. Can anyone recommend someone in the Idaho Falls area to install the rock rollers, shift assist and machine my secondary for me? Basically, someone who knows these clutches really well and will do a quality job.

Thanks

Premium Features