• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke or West

S

summitguy

Group of 5 Canadians coming down next weekend and wondering what would be the best area to ride?

Skill ranges from good to novice in the group (no first timers).

Can anyone make a recommendation? One fella is going to be renting a sled.

Cook City!!!!!! Rode both although Taylor Fork is good. Read the post under Montana that Bearclaw bob has about Cook. You can rent sleds there. $200 for an 800 Rev. Go big. Every ridding skill there. Every ridder will improve there skill level 3 fold and no one will have to sit and watch.

We were in Cooke last weekend, March 14-16. When we left on Sunday, we couldn't find a slope that didn't have a track on it. I mean everywhere there were tracks, so unless Cooke gets new snow since March 16th to whenever you go I would look at different options.

Cooke

We also rode Cooke from Wednesday through Sunday. 15-18" of powder on Thursday night make Friday and Saturday spectacular. By Sunday noon, most of the open stuff was tracked up. We rode the trees and still found plenty of untracked Sunday. Had to look a little harder.

It was our first time to Cooke and if you enjoy winding through some tight trees to find a gold mine riding area, it is awesome. Everybody hits the open stuff - but finding an opening in the middle of the trees is what we spend our time doing. Some times you find something - other times you're stuck - and stuck big!!!

Also to add to the traffic, this last weekend there was also some type of convention in town. Every sled rented so you know there was a lot of traffic in the wide open areas. Soda Butte closed on Thursday night and the Miner on Friday for the group. Some said 80-85 people - semis brought in extra sleds so guessing this was a busier than usual weekend.

Our first trip will not be the last - we really liked it. Of course, take 18 inches of fresh snow out of the equation and I am sure, this post would have a different spin. Good luck with your choice and hope you get fresh snow, wherever you go.

An Idea

SUMMITGUY I would still look at Cooke over West, Cooke you can be in a riding area in about 5 min. Where West you have to ride about 25 miles of trail until you get to the riding area's. If your up to riding a trail for that kind of time, you can go to the Top of the World and have really awesome riding. That area hardly see's alot of sled's. But the riding has it all. To hill climbing or just boondocking. Great valleys to play in. So you should check it out.

Stop in and see me and I can give you a map of the area,and also show you places to ride.

That's funny I can be in play area's in least then five miles from town in West!!! Now granted some of the more popular area's take a few miles to get to but without fresh snow your chances of finding good snow are a lot better in west. The town will be a ghost town from here on out know crowds at all you will be luck to see other sleds even at the most popular area's.

cooke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from Cooke last night. Was my first time there. I have been to west 6 times now. I like west allot but Cooke is in a class of its own in my opinion you really can’t compare the two. We had to leave early yesterday because of a STUPID lefty freezing WFO and the sled getting ghost ride for about 1/2 mile and totally blasting through a bunch of trees. Besides that there was 2-3 feet of fresh powder all over the place. Be extremely careful as wind loaded slopes will slide. We set off a baby slide on a hill that was like 30 feet high this was while the one sled was on a kamikaze mission. It only slid like 20 feet but it was all the fresh powder coming off of the harder snow about 2.5 feet under the surface.

Any questions just ask.

Gary

goto west!!

id goto west!!that way we can keep all the good snow for us in cooke!! hehehe yep west thats were i will tell everyone to ride

Flip a coin!

There both awesome. Cooke can be a gamble cause of the small riding area. If it doesn't snow there for a few days your searching for non tracked areas pretty hard. It's nice though cause everywhere is an awesome place to ride in Cooke and close to town.
This time of year in West is nice cause there is nobody there and there is endless places you can go. You'll have a better chance at finding untracked areas in West but you'll put on more miles getting to and from them. If you need to rent in West check with Highmark rental @ The Lazy G Motel. Pretty tough to beat.
Whatever you chose you'll still have a blast. Happy riding. Wish I was going!

Thanks for the info everyone. Ended up in West and had a great time. Only about a foot of fresh but you didn't have to look hard to find it untracked. Still lots of snow there. Wow - sounds like Cooke is awesome and it's getting the late season snow. Might have to turn the truck and trailer around here and try that one out!!!

Thanks again for the posts everyone....

Premium Features

Back