• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Compression test

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hi Mike,

FYI, Polaris has reformulated the VES Gold for 2010, higher quality, more lubricity like Redline oil. There are still some learned folks that say a lot of the problem last year was the Polaris oil breaking down under the higher temps. It lost lubricity too soon....Lubricity is the measure of the reduction in friction of a lubricant. Mostly conjecture at this point but why take a chance on oil. It must have been a factor since Poo wants you running the new VES after the new top end update. Carl's Cycle recommends the new VES or Redline in the 8's and mod 8's.

doing good ron, hope you are too..well since carls is recommending the new oil I guess I might have to run it then...dang it ....:face-icon-small-hap

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
ya know Poo used to be known for having the best oil but now I'm not so sure. ves-vesII ves gold and now another formula, all these years u ask the oil guys andthey say no oil problems but yet they keep changing, I'm breaking in on blue , (syn-blend) then back to good old blue marble

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Well as far as oil goes I'm a fan of old blue, not for anything more than off season storage, as for lubricity and pour points, it don't mean jack, old blue oil worked in triples that ran over 9000 for years and years. Pour point doesnt mean anything to a fixed displacement pump, it would push the same amount of gas or grease, besides by the time the sled has warmed up properly there may have only been 50 or so pulses from the pump, most of the oil it needs is already on the bearings from the last time you ran the sled, its in the intake tract, its all over the inside of the engine already. As for newer emmisions rated sleds there are hot spots in the engine that will "Coke" non synthetics. So if its efi, good on fuel, and stingy on oil you are probably better off with a high grade synthetic, redline and the new VES Plus are the oils that carls and SLP recommend for the new 800 CFI, so run a tank of blue for break in, then pick the oil that is easiest for you to get. PS-If you run anything thats not semi or direct injection blue oil is fine, and if you run synthetic be sure to fog your engine or get some good ole blue down in there or you will have rust forming on the bearings over summer.

Reactions: AKSNOWRIDER
D
Dec 25, 2007
Iowa
I'm definiatally going to agree with you on that one! :D From what I've seen, only Blue Marble and Spectro Syn-Sno carry the highest JASO rating available. I haven't seen this from any other oil manufacture. They also have the lowest cold pour rating so the oil maintains a consistant viscosity even at something like -57 C degrees. Last I checked, Polaris oil isn't even rated. And combine that with the fact that it is more expensive it becomes a hard pill to swallow. A link to the Spectro stuff. http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/2stroke/synsnofull.asp?products=snowmobile

By law the manufacture cannot void the warranty if you don't use their oil. They can however not cover the warranty if they can prove an issue was directly related to the oil you were running. This is however unlikely as most aftermarket oils far surpass the quality standards of factory oils. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into an oil thread.
You haven't looked very hard then... There's plenty of other manufacturers out there with an ISO EGD or JASO FD rating.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Hi Mike,

FYI, Polaris has reformulated the VES Gold for 2010, higher quality, more lubricity like Redline oil. There are still some learned folks that say a lot of the problem last year was the Polaris oil breaking down under the higher temps. It lost lubricity too soon....Lubricity is the measure of the reduction in friction of a lubricant. Mostly conjecture at this point but why take a chance on oil. It must have been a factor since Poo wants you running the new VES after the new top end update. Carl's Cycle recommends the new VES or Redline in the 8's and mod 8's.

my dealer told me yesturday that if I run redline that it would void my warranty,
and I also heard that they have machined the new head to lower the compression

Dec 18, 2008
Covington, Wa
Clem's in Enumclaw

Ya Willie i did have Clem's do my recall work and i am not happy at all with the way they treated my new sled. They put two scuffs on my 09 Dragon. I know in time it will get some scuffs but i want to be the one to put them on if that happens, not the dealers work crew. There is one the bumper and one on the belly pan. I know for a fact they were done at this shop. They admited to one scuff but they were both done durring the recall work. I was going to put a skid plate on the belly pan to cover up the scuff but someone at Clem's got me the wrong skid plate. Now i have to waite for the correct one to come in. I will let everyone know if i get this issue taken care of. I am wondering how good of job they did on replacing the pistons and head. I have my fingers crossed.

09dragon800 did you happen to get your work done at Clems? I just started there, name is Willie if you need anymore help![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
X
May 11, 2009
Edgewood,wa
Sorry for the scuffs, sure they will take care of you. Im sure the tech did a good job on your motor, but if you bring it again feel free to ask for me. Im extremely careful and treat everything like its one of my custom sleds!

Dec 18, 2008
Covington, Wa
Clem's in Enumclaw

:rolleyes::rolleyes:I do realize they have a lot of sled to work on and space is limited. But can they aford to buy and install new parts they scuffed up or damage. I think that would add to more time away from the things they need to do. I am going to put on any replacement part myself. Its seems like pride and workmanship is dropping off in a lot of shops and businesses these days. These sleds are not cheap. The way you make them last is by taking care of them and doing the proper maintenance on them.

polarfox

Lifetime Membership
I'm hesitant to bring this up for fear of this thread going to the wrong direction, but I just upgraded an 09 800 dragon to one of Carl's bb kits, and the "how to" sheet they give you with your new parts and toys says in bold underlined print at the bottom of the page "Do NOT run Polaris VES Gold oil in these motors"

They do make a recommendation for Redline 2 stroke oil. I'm not suggesting, nor are the brain trusts at Carls that Redline is the only way to go, as I'm sure there are lots and lots of worthy alternatives, but "Do NOT" got my attention.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
we would love to sell only Polaris oil but just can't do it from what we've seen in the past , we sell lots of Blue Marble with no problems plus last week it went down 2 bucks a gal. Any dealer that says anything about no warranty cuz of the oil your not using is a missled soul and shoud be treated as such

Premium Features