• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch face buffer/cleaner attachment for power tool

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have been looking at a few different scotchbrite pads you can put on a drill and/or die grinder to clean my clutches. not sure which ones to get. any recommendations? i would prefer to put it on my drill because i could do less damage with that than a grinder or die grinder :second:

scotch-brite-ball.jpg

608-050912220910.jpeg

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
with the belt off start it and use a green scotch bright pad and work it in and out on each face. be careful not to have long sleeve or anything than can get hung up.

Sorry but this is terrible advice. Pop the clutch off. Get some red scotchbrite and scuff the sheaves by hand. Wipe off with a little brake cleaner. Blow the rest of the clutch out with an air nozzle.

J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
Guess some people never took shop in high school, but anyways. Newbie question here, Does cleaning the clutch help it in gauge better/stronger? And do I need any specific tool to pull my clutch. I totally have time to take her apart while we wait on snow here in the 208.
Thanks in advance for any answers. Sorry I didn't mean to high jack thread

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I take the belt off and let the sled idle while I clean up the primary with a pad hooked on a paint stirring stick. I used to just hold it in my hand but now I'm OSHA approved! Secondary I take off and put it in my lathe.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I take the belt off and let the sled idle while I clean up the primary with a pad hooked on a paint stirring stick. I used to just hold it in my hand but now I'm OSHA approved! Secondary I take off and put it in my lathe.

Sorry, but this is Darwin Award activities!

Also, clutch sheaths should be worked from the shaft out, perpendicular to the way the sheath spins.

Reactions: Nooby

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
you would want a cross hatch pattern, you wont get that with engine running or on lathe :juggle:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Buncha bedwettin' crybabies. Engine off, clutch off, the world's gonna end cuz you scottchbrited a clutch while the engine is running.
Omg we'll all be killed!

The scottchbrite stick cleaning method is great!

Premium Features