• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Closest place to Anchorage to pull the sled off the trailer

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
I took my sled with ice fishing on sat to clean the dust off and make sure everything was working good and it quit running on the pto cyl so now I think the choke being stuck half on may haqve ben the prob. It sounds good on the trailer but I would like to be able to take it out and run it a little before making the long drive to go riding. Any ideas on the closest place to Anchorage I can take it for a test ride?

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
i saw tracks in the turnagain pass parking lot. i dont know if its legal but if you dont go off the parking lot pavement you should be ok. its snowing there now.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Thats where I would normally go to just test the sled out but I dont think its legal to ride at all there. I would rather spend the money on gas than a ticket. How much farther south do I have to go for it to be legal?

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Im still looking for a place I can run this week if I get done with work a little early and test run this thing. I have high hopes for riding this weekend but I need to know my sled is ready. I am just not familiar with areas in the valley that would be legal and atleast have some snow.

Apr 11, 2008
nancy lake dosent have mutch snow but it is leagal to ride there and the lake has about 12 inches on it of Ice not snow

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
dont ask me.....i drove through turnagain the other day and 3 guys were riding there sleds around the parking lot. one was a black 2000 rmk, one was an m8 and one was a firecat

Oct 13, 2008
he said he saw tracks there not that he was riding there, he was trying to help , i would say either wait a bit or just go to petersville

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
You are not really that stupid to not know the real answer to that are you:eek:

how would i know if its legal to ride in a parking lot? the reason they dont let you ride there early is because of the tundra and vegetation. last time i checked there wasnt any of that in the parking lot....but again i dont really know. im going off of what i saw. i think a simple "no thats not legal" would have worked instead of you getting all worked up about it.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
I'll probably just have to wait for the weekend to get it out. I was just hoping to know it was running right before sat. Thanks for the help though and no thanks for the bashing. I thought it was a simple post but it still brought that snowest bashing out.

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
I could almost guarantee they will write you a ticket if you unload at turny (see explanation below). but the real reason not to ride in the p lot(besides it probably being illegal).....MORE AMMO FOR THE GREENIES. SOMEONE WILL SEE YOU, AND COME TO THEIR OWN CONCLUSION THAT YOUR POACHING. Next thing you know, Turny is closed...

I would think your safe unloading at the willow side of hatchers, or almost anywhere west of the parks highway if you want to do some testing.

When I first moved up here about 9 years ago, I saw a couple trucks pulling sleds heading west on Dimond. I followed them and watched them ride the Kincaid park track for a while. The next day, my buddy and I went down there to do the same. We just happened to be followed by a cop. When we got there, he explained if our sleds hit the ground, we were getting tickets. Even in the p lot. We explained our situation, and left without incident. I was just glad he let us know before just writing tickets. So, even if your in the p lot, your probably still breaking the law.

good luck

Willow side of Hatcher Pass in open, just do not cross the Summit, that's where the State Park starts (if you follow the road, you will see signs).
Maybe they got snow last night instead of rain...
Go to Willow, turn right by a coffee stand (before the creek), drive 10-15 miles, there are pullouts etc. THere's big parking lot on left hand side right after you cross the bridge or you can pay for parking at the Last Chance Coffee place.
http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/asp/hpsnowreport.pdf

I think you can drive snowmachines legally on that road from where it's closed, right?

Quote:
HATCHER PASS ROAD CLOSURE
The Mat-Su Area Office of Alaska State Parks announces that effective Friday, September 26, 2008, the road over Hatcher Pass will be closed for public safety reasons.

The east side of Hatcher Pass (Palmer side) remains open for recreational purposes. This is the typical closure over the Hatcher Pass summit road that occurs during the winter months.

For more information contact the Mat-Su Area Office at 745-3975.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Thanks for the info guys but after runing it around the yard a couple times in our new 3 inches of snow, taking it somewhere to try it out wont do it any good. I cant figure out whats going on with this thing.

D
Feb 16, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the info guys but after runing it around the yard a couple times in our new 3 inches of snow, taking it somewhere to try it out wont do it any good. I cant figure out whats going on with this thing.

Didn't get much info from your first post. What are the symtoms? Lots of smart people on here. AKA those not riding dirt, parking lots and basically wasting our time.;)

Premium Features