• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chevy Truck Tires

I am thinking about going from 265 to 285 tires on my 06 3/4 duramax, and was wondering if any one has had problems with this, or if they like it better. I am looking for a good size tire and a little better stance. Any pics appreciated

I am thinking about going from 265 to 285 tires on my 06 3/4 duramax, and was wondering if any one has had problems with this, or if they like it better. I am looking for a good size tire and a little better stance. Any pics appreciated

I just put 285/75/16's on my 2005 2500HD ... they rub at full lock backing up with the wheel cranked all the way left, but that's the only time they rub. I can go forward and they don't rub, and the other direction forwards or backwards and they don't rub.

They DEFINATLEY make the truck look one hell of a lot better than with the stock cookie cutters.

Only problem is, I can't store a 285 as a spare, so if I ever get a flat I might have some tire swapping to do :(

I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's ... I was skeptical at first, but I've pulled my trailer twice now through the snow along slick interstate and slick highways, and they've done just fine .... I still don't think they're quite as good of tire as the BFG AT KO's are, but they were also $70.00 less per tire than the BFG's of the same size, so in that respect, I think the Nitto's are wonderful and would recommend them to anyone :)

Couple questions?
1.Is the truck a Chev or a GMC? you will at the least have to torsion level the truck to gain the clearance you need to run 285`s.Chevs seem easier to fit tires due to the lower valance on the front bumper.Most times you don`t have to trim the plastic to clear were on the gmc`s you do.

2. Are you replacing the shocks?If not you have to install spacers to keep the shocks from trying to rip themselves apart at full droop once leveled.

3.Are you planing to add a tuner because you will loose mileage.I run a diablo predator on the economy tune and gain my stock mileage back.

4.If you torsion level you WILL need a wheel alignment(causes the tires to toe in)

IMG_1171.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan at all of big torsion bar cranks.

With that said, I did raise mine up slightly after putting the 285's on. The truck is still sitting at a rake and it's about level when I hitch my enclosed trailer up to it.

I think cranking the bars even to "level" makes the truck basically ride like crap, and if you go that high then you do need to put a slightly longer shock on. I didn't wanna screw with any of that so I just cranked the bars to where I had perhaps 1/2" over stock z-height. It rides a little stiffer, but it's not "bouncy" like the trucks are if you over-crank the t-bars.....

I'm not a big fan at all of big torsion bar cranks.

With that said, I did raise mine up slightly after putting the 285's on. The truck is still sitting at a rake and it's about level when I hitch my enclosed trailer up to it.

I think cranking the bars even to "level" makes the truck basically ride like crap, and if you go that high then you do need to put a slightly longer shock on. I didn't wanna screw with any of that so I just cranked the bars to where I had perhaps 1/2" over stock z-height. It rides a little stiffer, but it's not "bouncy" like the trucks are if you over-crank the t-bars.....

Is your truck a duramax or a gas motor.I have found just the opposite where the ride is concerned.I have my T-bars maxed out with BFG all terrains and set of bilstein shocks and really like the way the truck rides.A lot of people with complaints are due to the stock shocks not being long enough once the truck is level.

Last edited:
The rub at the back of the wheel well when in reverse is the parking brake cable behind the plastic on the drivers side, a zip tie through the bracket will pull the cable back without screwing up your PB and eliminate the noise...Have had to re-zip a couple of times.

Premium Features

Back