• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check out what I'm building for my wife and daughters

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Wife and oldest daughter are into ballet and jazz dance. Daughter's big passion so far. (Yeah, she's 7). My wife has been doing it for 20 years.

We were checking out prices of actual dance floors. $$$ OUCH!!!!!!!

The local bowling alley was being demo'd, so I called and asked about wood alley flooring.

Figured it'd be a cool piece of the hometown to put down in the house and they demo company was planning to recycle and absorb 95% of all materials back into the community.

Cool idea.

It's a 13+ foot room to floor, so we got enough to lay down enough strips to cover the width. The length was easy, just had to cut off the 3' on the end of the 16' legth strip. Most of them were 21" wide, but two were 34".

Spent $600 on the wood. Dance floors were $2500 in materials alone. Cool. Saved a bunch and with the floor already partially assembled, I figured it'd save me a lot of labor $$ and time to do it on my own. Yep. SUUUUUURE!!! HAHA

With the sub floor on them they were FAWKIN heavy. Solid hardwood maple is heavy enough without a subfloor.

Got the wood home and began to cut off the subfloor. OMFG that was a long and schitty process. Have about 40 hours into that alone.

Once we got the sheet's down to just the maple and a 1.25" ripped down 2x4 underneath, we needed a way to take out the imperfections and inconsistencies and have some padding. I got lots of suggestions from residential flooring people and dance floor installers...but nothing seemed to help get my floor pieces evened up and eliminate the ridges between the seams.

I just decided to use carpet padding. Gave it some flex. Evened up the uneven parts and gave it some room to bounce and save on dancers knees in the long run.

Cool. I just used the leftover stuff from our re-carpet job upstairs. Perfect.

My wife's dance instructer's husband is an old woodright, so we had him come cleat the sections together. He used wooden cleats and screwed them in. One side from the top, and the other from the bottom. We used small dowels to fill them. I flush-cut them and did all the sanding work with a plate sander and some 80 grit and in some spots a belt.

After the a-holes that delivered the mirrors messed up my sanding job with their muddy and gritty and BLACK soled shoes...I grabbed the orbital palm sander and used 150 grit (that's all I had and it was too fine) and did a light sand. Might have to go back over it with some 80 grit pads.

The wife says a ballet floor can be TOO smooth.
BTW, I can always throw down some wrestling mats up too and have something for my son to work out on. LOL

DSC04931DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04934DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04935DanceFloor.jpg

My dad making a cut so I can get at the lag bolts with the sawsall.
DSC04493DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04930DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04927DanceFloor.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Beginning the fitting process...and cleating them down.

DSC04928DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04933DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04936DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04937DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04943DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04925DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04938DanceFloor.jpg

DSC04940DanceFloor.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The cleats brought it together pretty well, but it did need to have some edges taken off.

80grit on the belt sander did that part for me fairly well.

DSC05020June2008.jpg

DSC05019June2008.jpg

DSC05018June2008.jpg

DSC05017June2008.jpg

DSC05016June2008.jpg

DSC05015June2008.jpg

DSC05014June2008.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Final sanding is done.

Ballet bar is hung.

Mirrors are hung.

Floor and doors are trimmed out.

Almost done.

Now all I have to do is put final coats of varnish.

DSC05863DanceFloorAug08.jpg

DSC05862DanceFloorAug08.jpg

DSC05856DanceFloorAug08.jpg

DSC05854DanceFloorAug08.jpg

DSC05850DanceFloorAug08.jpg

DSC05858DanceFloorAug08-1.jpg

DSC05853DanceFloorAug08.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thanks man.
I can't keep them off of it, and it's not done yet. LOL

I've got over 70 hours in it...and not much more than the cost of the wood into the flooring part.
The damn mirrors cost more to buy and have installed than the friggen floor did. LOL :(

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If anyone wants a 34" x 16' and a 22" x 16' section of maple bowling alley flooring, let me know. They're just sitting in the garage.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Now you should get a disco ball and a pole right in the middle.... er never mind that.

Although I do think you should grease it up like they do at the bowling alley!

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
Nice Scott, very nice.

How much did the mirrors cost? We own a glass shop, so i can tell you if you got ripped off. Why didn't you go with one solid piece of mirror?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Nice Scott, very nice.

How much did the mirrors cost? We own a glass shop, so i can tell you if you got ripped off. Why didn't you go with one solid piece of mirror?

Back in late June, they did a quote for me. 940 for two 6x7 sheets and J-channel, and labor included, which I thought was outrageous for one guy and an assistant kid who had his hands in his pockets half the time.
Well, they said they'd do it for $940. Nobody in town would beat their price, so I had to buck up and go with it.

2 sheets of glass. 6'x7' each. $245 each.

They lost the work order twice. Each time I called back, the guy had to make a new work order.

They were supposed to measure for the electrical outlet on two different scheduled occations before July 1 (which I provided the measurements over the phone twice). They were supposed to deliver July 8.

They show July 8th to measure. NOT install.

Guess when they installed..........last week.

And they were there for about 1 hour total. $450 bucks to glue it to the wall with caulking guns. Didn't even use a J-channel like they told me in the quote over the phone. The installer said they prefer not to use it. WTF did they guy in the office tell me they PREFER to use J-channel then? I thought that with glass this size, J-channel was NECCESSARY! WTF!!!

During the hour they were there, they drove over the yard instead of following the paved driveway around back.

They didn't take their shoes off at the door, which was a room away from the dance studio. I had to re-sand the entire ***gin floor. I can imagine the dude not taking his shoes off though..he couldn't see his feet. Probably forgot they were still on.

Then they handed me a bill for 200 more than the quote and said "Oh, there was a glass surcharge on July 1."

Huh?

I called the desk dude and explained that I'd pay the $940, as per "We'll do it for $940" and that they were supposed to have this job done July 8th". Nobody ever mentioned glass surcharges at any time during the past month of mis-dealings.

I am thankful that he atleast reluctantly honored the quote.

I still had to fill with dirt and re-sead tire ruts in my yard and re-sand the whole floor AGAIN.

If anyone uses "Montana Glass" in Missoula, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Premium Features