• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CFR 1st Gen Rack Fix w/Photos

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Towards the last ride of the season I noticed my CFR snowboard rack was wobbly little bastard. This summer I took a deep investigation to find out that the board mount had started to crack my tunnel. Since I've already rebuilt my tunnel on this sled once, I wasn't looking to do it again and again, so I devised a little fix. This might be of interest to those out there running 1st Generation CFR racks. This years models seem to have corrected this some by using a bigger plate. In total this fix cost me about $2.50 and 30 minutes of my time. I'd suggest doing some preventive measures if you have the older versions before your tunnel ends up cracked.

Materials: 2 joining plates avaliable at your friendly Home Depot or Lowes. Size is up to you, you'll have to make it fit inside your tunnel. See below at the size that worked for me. I'd say bigger is better to widen the pressure.
Tools: Drill, small bits (3/32", 7/32", 1/4")

CFR_Fix_Damage.jpg

Step 1: If tunnel is cracked. Drill out smallest holes you can to stop the crack from proceeding any further. I probably could've used a smaller bit here actually, but it's hard to keep from snapping bits much smaller so I just went with the 3/32". The smart move at the end of install would be to rivet or put some screws through these holes as well.

CFR_Fix_Plates1.jpg

Step 2: Take your plates, mark where your rack lines up to the tunnel, make sure they clear any coolers, rivets or anything. Drill out 7/32" holes, then widen to 1/4" for the rack bolts. While your at it, round off any sharp edges. I believe my whole problem stems from the small plate that came with the rack, and the sharp edges. That's just my guess though. Could've been that 100 yards my sled rolled with the board in the rack.:face-icon-small-sho

CFR_Fix_Plates.jpg

Notice size dif. I put my finger there in for a size*comparision*. The orginal plate is that really small bent up one.

CFR_Fix_OutsideTunnel.jpg

Step 3: Mount up!

CFR_Fix_InTunnel.jpg

CFR_Fix_fullboard.jpg

Done! It seems about 5x studier that it was before the plates. Now my rack is hella solid. Can't wait till Sunday to test it out.

S

sledrat403

Nov 28, 2007
CFR

I can't believe you tweaked your tunnel with a snowboard! I have done the same thing with the ski rack and had to reinforce it in a similar manner over the course of several months. Great info!

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I'm notoriously hard on the equipment! :face-icon-small-ton

Tested it out Sunday. Worked great, no wobble. Wish I wouldv'e done this first, or at least the second time I replaced my tunnel. Drr.

20101122_145705_PB210027.jpg

Premium Features