• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat guy seriously considering and 07 Dragon?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
No sweat Nick. Just giving you a hard time. You are the one that missed out! I did want to see yours running on the nos though. Somebody needed to keep Dougy honest, none of us could!

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
No sweat Nick. Just giving you a hard time. You are the one that missed out! I did want to see yours running on the nos though. Somebody needed to keep Dougy honest, none of us could!

Man i really wanted to go too. But I really need to get this NOS dialed in. I know it has potental. I have had it lift the skis at WOT :eek:

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Well after much flip flopping back and forth I decided to pickup the Dragon and see what happens. I just hope I am not making the wrong decision based on what I have seen with Polaris and their lack or rather $hitty response to customer problems (specifically the two years worth of burn downs on the 800's) If it wasn't for the magic I saw these sleds performing in the back country I would have not even considered it.. It's a 700 as well and they appear to be like the cat 700's and bullet proof..

Now all I need to do is focus on hunting and fishing until the snow flies again..

Thanks for all the input folks..

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
6/700's are practically bulletproof. Only reason my '08 blew a piston is due to a torn bellows, that is the week point, check them often. I didn't even notice any loss of performance until it went out. Power was always there.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Good for you Doug. There will be a little learning curve, but you will love the sled. Should be pretty bullet proof as well. Get a swaybar back in it and some new shocks and follow the Kenai crazies.....Have Fun!!!

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
First off, I have never owned anything but a Cat! So, that should give you an idea about what I know of Polaris. With that said, I am considering an 07 Dragon 700 with a 155 under her.

The reason I am seriously considering jumping the cat ship is that I have rode with a lot of the Dragons and Assaults. It looks like these sleds were made to take a beating and handle awesome. Several riders seem like they just step over to one side and the sled just rolls with them with very little effort. We went on a ride a Placer in the deep stuff and one guy riding an Assault got stuck once that I saw and that was just a weird situation.

I did a little research and did see where the 07 700 Dragon fouled a lot of plugs but that seemed to be corrected by a re-mapping. I also saw were they blew a couple of belts but that didn't seem like it was anything out of the ordinary for the riding conditions. When you ride hard your just going to blow a belt or two occasionally. Especially in deep wet snow in warm weather.

I didn't see anything about the 700 burning down so that is good.

I am going to see if I can get on this thing for a good ride to run it through it's paces.

Can you give me your opinion on this sled. How do you think it handles, reliability etc.. I would appreciate it!

Thanks
Doug

I have a 2007 D-7 121" track, purchased it new 3700 TROUBLE FREE MILES.
mY BUD, SAME SLED 2400 MILES, no problems.

I'D like to address several issues from prior posts.

Delrin washers 1 and one only, under the spring cup, if you don't take my word for it call SLP, ask for Dustin, The guy with the turbocharged Dragon, he'll explain it to you. Just because TEAM sells 'em in packs of 3 doesn' t mean you have to use all three in one sled.

Re-flash, I wouldn't do it. Mine is not re-flashed neither is my bud's, several guys on H.C.S. will confirm it slowed their sled down. My dealer was the first one to talk me out of it, feedback from other guys saying it slowed their sleds down.

Plug fouling: Let the sledWARM-UP, watch the digital temp gauge , let it reach 60* or 70* before blippin' the throttle. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE DURING WARM-UP, LET IT JUST SIT THERE AND IDLE. Both me and my bud fouled several plugs within the first season, once we followed the above procedure, never fouled a one.

Chaincase cover, reinforcement bracket available as a FREE update from your friendly POLARIS dealer, mounts to the 2 lower bolts, 15 minutes to install. POLARIS and their engineers with a masters degree in Thermodynamics builds a sled with a friggin PLASTIC Chaincase cover RIGHT next to a hot exhaust, UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE, and they wonder why it warps and leaks??? My kid is 5 years old and she has more common sense, and yes she rides a PINK Dragon (120) since she was 3.

Installed V-FORCE reeds, MAYBE slighly more responsive, NOT worth the $$$$ Did the SLP air horn kit and (4) flo-rites in the dash pod, did not notice any difference.

Did the PC III, $365 from Jim @ www.dynotechresearch.com Included was the CORRECT mapping, BEST $ 365.00 I ever spent, plugs are good color, mid-range stumble is GONE. Just plug in and go, 5 minute install. 5%-7% RICHER in the MID-RANGE, 5-10% LEANER ON TOP END.

Belt issue, originally I had glazed the original belt (NEVER BROKE/SHREDDED ONE) Engine alignment was so far off (dealer wearing dark sunglasses said it was fine) I removed the engine myself and slotted the MAG side engine bracket an unbelievable 3/8" to get it PERFECT!!! 3700 miles and I'm on my second belt.

We do a lot of saddlebag trips where we're gone from the truck and trailer for 3-4 days at a time 500+ miles per trip and RELIABILITY is key for me. Just pull the rope and go, always starts on the first or second pull, ALWAYS!!

I've purchased 7 NEW sleds in the last 15 years, and this Dragon is the sled is the BEST handling sled I've ever ridden. My only complaint is it could have a little more top speed.

2 other guys on H.C.S. have big miles/NO problems, drag770n has 8430 miles, NO PROBLEMS.

Premium Features