• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

camso kit durability

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
So I was lucky enough to drive 3 hours to the intermountain snowmobile show at salt lake city. I got to look at the new camso kit. The mono rail is very interesting. I ride a 2012 kit with a ktm 525. I have adapted well to this setup and ride fairly decent. My biggest frustration is the trail handling and have been considering the camso kit. I do not ride on the trail often. I have a small cabin and my wife and two kids frequent it in the winter its a great place to launch from to ride. I have two sleds I am forced to use to get family and goods in and out. I would like to phase them out. Last year I hooked my little tow behind sled and used snobike to get in and out. Needless to say was very sketchy and my beer was foamy for 3 days. Offer talking to camso reps at the snowshow they believe the trail handling is much better then current setup. The kit looks awesome the ski looks great track has alot more paddle then timbersled. I had one concern the middle part of the skid is plastic what is that? I have serious concerns about this. We ride these things hard over rough terrain is this gonna hold up? Any thoughts? what about hard spring conditions getting some slick to the slide I am really considering picking one of these up.

SNOADDICT

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I too am interested in any info from anybody that has had their hands on one of these kits. I haven't seen one in person yet just pics but the single rail design definitely makes sense to me and the price in Canada with our low dollar really makes them attractive compared to most of the other kits. How stiff did the plastic seem? And the square tubing for that matter.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
7552fb6c8641012d89e83020829501b4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sledhed88
R
Aug 3, 2016
Does the kit weigh more. Yes. But not that much more. 2lbs on the ski and yes 10lbs in the rear skid. Compared to the st120. The camso is 129".

i will have my hands on a demo unit this winter. My friends have a pair of st120's. Hopefully get a direct comparison.

image.jpg

P
Nov 30, 2013
The price isn't.......
Its the heaviest kit out there?

Where's the attraction?
I see zero.

At least the Timbersled looks good �� lol
If its going to be cheap built.

This is what i was implying by saying its cheap...your getting an under built yet somehow heavy lump of ****. I was just attempting to be discreet with my dislike.

It has a very cheap look and feel...im guessing it will ride the same as well but that is still speculation till the snow flies

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
D
Jan 30, 2015
I spoke with Camso and the Denver snow show and checked out this kit. It doesn't look cheap by any means. The center rail is made of reinforced polymer. The idea is that on big hits it will flex and return back to shape instead of bending permanently.

Technology does wonderful things for new designs, I'm very interested to see how well it will hold up to abuse. I'm debating biting the bullet to be the guinea pig... My biggest concern is the rear suspension setup.

P
Jan 20, 2016
We have Timbersled 137, soon to have Camso and a new 2017 Yeti coming soon! We will give a full report once we see them and get some white stuff!!

Cant wait!

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
had a good look at a camso a couple days ago. its obvious this is their first crack at it and they have a ways to go. i wouldn't put any money down on their kit yet, but someone else should and report back...

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
I spoke with Camso and the Denver snow show and checked out this kit. It doesn't look cheap by any means. The center rail is made of reinforced polymer. The idea is that on big hits it will flex and return back to shape instead of bending permanently.

Technology does wonderful things for new designs, I'm very interested to see how well it will hold up to abuse. I'm debating biting the bullet to be the guinea pig... My biggest concern is the rear suspension setup.

Reinforced with??? Polymer is synthetic plastic. I can tell you I have broken several polymer snow shovels. Plastics are used more and more not so sure that a suspension skid is a good place for it. Especially when it's cold. The shocks and springs should absorb the shock. Need something rigid to hold it together. I am very I impressed with kit and am interested in getting one. That plastic skid does worry me. However the skis are plastic and they hold up. Who knows time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Plastic skids will become more common , aluminum likes to accumulate weight .

20070411064233511.jpg

Premium Features