• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CALLING ALL SLED RESCUE EXPERIENCE! NEED HELP!

S
Jan 26, 2010
Welp, Gaurdsmans today. Good snow to be had. But unfortunately there isnt ever enough to cover up everything thats out there. A nice fist size diameter dead tree managed to find its way up into my track and skid on the way out. Snapped the track, bent some skid pieces. This was about 330pm. Tried to do all that we knew / had tools for (strapped a snowboard to the bottom, started on a flat packed out track, bumper to bumper tow), and managed to move the pigglet 5 feet. We tried again, without me to lighten her up, to no avail. 2 hrs later and we figured we outta get movin.

Ive towed out before, but on a packed trail in Logan. Sled is currently sitting about 5 miles back in Gaurdsmans, with a few hill climbs and a not so bad, but not groomed trail to get her out

Definitely now in over my head, and need some advice.

How do I tow a sled with no track out? My buddy has a Summit 800 151, and we couldnt budge it with that. We had it rigged up bumper to bumper, and his sled was instantly trenching.

Put it on a plastic sled? Wrap it in a tarp? I know this isnt the first thread about this, but any and all advice is much appreciated. Whats the best way to attach? Bumper to bumper? skis to bumper? should we use a long line for hill climbs and not packed out trails?

Thanks in advance, for the help.

IMG_5020.jpg IMG_5025.jpg IMG_5028.jpg IMG_5037.jpg

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Welp, Gaurdsmans today. Good snow to be had. But unfortunately there isnt ever enough to cover up everything thats out there. A nice fist size diameter dead tree managed to find its way up into my track and skid on the way out. Snapped the track, bent some skid pieces. This was about 330pm. Tried to do all that we knew / had tools for (strapped a snowboard to the bottom, started on a flat packed out track, bumper to bumper tow), and managed to move the pigglet 5 feet. We tried again, without me to lighten her up, to no avail. 2 hrs later and we figured we outta get movin.

Ive towed out before, but on a packed trail in Logan. Sled is currently sitting about 5 miles back in Gaurdsmans, with a few hill climbs and a not so bad, but not groomed trail to get her out

Definitely now in over my head, and need some advice.

How do I tow a sled with no track out? My buddy has a Summit 800 151, and we couldnt budge it with that. We had it rigged up bumper to bumper, and his sled was instantly trenching.

Put it on a plastic sled? Wrap it in a tarp? I know this isnt the first thread about this, but any and all advice is much appreciated. Whats the best way to attach? Bumper to bumper? skis to bumper? should we use a long line for hill climbs and not packed out trails?

Thanks in advance, for the help.

We turn skis around backwards, then Put rear bumper on rear bumper of tow sled. Pack a good trail and use a second tow sled if needed.

S
Jan 26, 2010
Whats the best way to use two sleds? A big loop from the two tow sleds to the limp sled (thru the rear bumper it sounds) so the sled has play, or just a fixed ropes from each of the tow sleds to the limp sled?

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
We turn skis around backwards, then Put rear bumper on rear bumper of tow sled. Pack a good trail and use a second tow sled if needed.

x2 have used this a couple times to get sleds out. Put the rear of his tunnel up on top of the tow sled's tunnel, turn the ski's backwards and give her heck. Good luck.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Whats the best way to use two sleds? A big loop from the two tow sleds to the limp sled (thru the rear bumper it sounds) so the sled has play, or just a fixed ropes from each of the tow sleds to the limp sled?

You have to put the weight of the dead sled on the main tow sled for good traction.

Bumper to bumper between the two tow sleds.

Use other sleds to pack a good trail.

S
Jan 26, 2010
x2 have used this a couple times to get sleds out. Put the rear of his tunnel up on top of the tow sled's tunnel, turn the ski's backwards and give her heck. Good luck.

what if my ski bolts are fused in there???? go me!

anyway suggestions for towing the sled forward, or should i just bring some rust-ez and a sledge hammer out there to get em flipped around?

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
what if my ski bolts are fused in there???? go me!

anyway suggestions for towing the sled forward, or should i just bring some rust-ez and a sledge hammer out there to get em flipped around?

You can always steal some kids toboggan, and put the rear on it.

But, if your in a nasty area, your going to want to pull it backwards.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
For the hills too steep to climb out towing a sled I suggest you get a lot of rope and a couple of pulleys.

use the tow sled going downhill to pull the dead sled up. When a knot gets to a pulley pull a section of rope off, reset and do it again. If the tow sled can't get it done going down hill double up the pulleys and rope and try again..

Know any friends into climbing? You'll need good static rope and quality pulleys.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
2 years ago I blew up in super bowl up bountiful on an 00 700 RMK Turn it around strap the crap out of the sled to the other sled. turn the ski's around just like it has already been said. On the big hills We made a train tied two sleds together and punched it worked like a charm! took 5 hrs to get her out! good luck I have tomorrow off if you need help! Never been up guardsmen! You dont have to turn the ski's but it works better that way!

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
i might be able to help, know the area good enough and know a few things about towing out a sled:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-ton.....this could be a large project as you ahve many hills to go up and down going down hill should be the hardest......the ski lodge dude has more red rope up then last year

im not putting that trackless sled on the back of my sled(s).....

flipping the track inside out helps, but nothing is better then a large piece of plastic to tie under the skid, go down hill to the park city side of the main trail if you can get the sled up to the pole line trail somehow.....the first and last two hills could get rough to tow out

anywho, ill toss you my number if i can get some time off

Last edited:
S
Jan 26, 2010
i might be able to help, know the area good enough and know a few things about towing out a sled:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-ton.....this could be a large project as you ahve many hills to go up and down going down hill should be the hardest......the ski lodge dude has more red rope up then last year

im not putting that trackless sled on the back of my sled(s).....

flipping the track inside out helps, but nothing is better then a large piece of plastic to tie under the skid

anywho, ill toss you my number if i can get some time off

Thanks all for the help and offer for help guys. Really appreciate it. Seems like we've got a bit of a task on hand. Looks like it wont be until Wednesday, at the earliest. My joker of a friend is the tow truck, I reckon, so dont worry about any dead sled on yours.. But the more help, muscle, and rpms, the better! Will keep checking, and posting throughout tomorrow, and see what cant get going for Wednesday.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Go in and take the skid out of and bring the skid out. Repair the skid, take it and new track back in and reinstall... ride it out.

sled_guy

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
For the hills too steep to climb out towing a sled I suggest you get a lot of rope and a couple of pulleys.

use the tow sled going downhill to pull the dead sled up. When a knot gets to a pulley pull a section of rope off, reset and do it again. If the tow sled can't get it done going down hill double up the pulleys and rope and try again..

Know any friends into climbing? You'll need good static rope and quality pulleys.

never thought of that one, makes perfect sense

M

MTB02

Aug 2, 2009
park city, ut
Hey sammy,

I live up at the trail head of guardsman right before the parking lot.... If you want I can meet you up there and give a helping hand but I cant tow anything except tools and maybe some plastic out for you.... let me know

Drop me a text 716 913 3160 and if I get it in time I can meet you up there

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I could possibly help Wed. Shoot me a pm with your plans. Unfortunately the cheap plastic toboggans in my trailer are getting way too much use and I am getting way too proficient at them. Here is my input

Get a cheap kids toboggan. Cut 4 slats in it(two per side) and ratchet strap it to your skid with two good ratchet straps. Take time to make it really straight and tight as this will save you lots of time overall.

If you can turn skis backward and tie your tunnel up on another tunnel it helps a lot but if not the two/three sled pull train will get you out of there if you have two/three long track sleds.

The way we have had it work on those big hills is to just tie them in a row like a train and give it hell. Tie to the bumpers so you can still use your steering. Make sure you give enough slack to work your lines but not too much so you get sled storm in your face. Depending on where you are up there you may actually need to tie on to the back for a downhill or 2. Just my input. Lots of good guys on here to help. Plan 4-6 hours, be patient and just know it is going to be slow and painful. If you are in a really bad spot we could possibly get a chainsaw winch for you.

Once out buy beverages for those helpers. Everyone has been there once. You sled long enough it will happen

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.

This is your guy right here offer to buy him lunch and you'll have your goat out in no time. I didnt read past Richs post so this may have been answered. Take a small torch and heat the ski bolts they'll pop right off. Let me know when your going I got a pretty slow week.

B
Jan 13, 2008
Where is the sled at exactly? Id be happy to help on wednesday. Shoot me a pm and let me know your plans. Ive got all kinds of gear to assist. And may know some alternative ways out.

Zac

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
Go in and take the skid out of and bring the skid out. Repair the skid, take it and new track back in and reinstall... ride it out.

sled_guy

I like this idea^^^ it's what I'd do. Not that hard to change a skid out with a couple extra hands. Suspend the tunnel up in a tree and you'd be in business. I even have a 163 skid sitting around but I doubt that's the size you need - let me know if it is and you can borrow it to get you out.

Premium Features