• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brrrrr!!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Just got home from a trip down the Denali Highway this weekend to a friend's cabin. We went in Friday from Cantwell. Trail was good and temps moderate--about +15. On Sat we went to Maclaren for a burger and beer and to check out the Gin Gin 200 sled dog race. Met Jeff King and Lance Mackey...nice guys. It was -15 when we showed up at 6pm--not too bad. When we left (at 2:30am--long story) it was a brisk -37.

When we got back to the cabin at 4am the fire was out...so we called in the dogs and pizzed on the fire (metaphorically speaking), loaded up and trundled back to Cantwell.

Between the wind, cold, damp clothes and frosty goggles our fun meters were about pegged.

Stiff? Check!
Sore? Check!
Shivers? Check! Check!
Frostbite? Just a wee little bit, BUT score a huge save for Team Duct tape on that one!!!

Hey...I could'a been workin'

D
Dec 12, 2008
Denali, AK
Yep. Brrrr is the word for sure. -36 right now at the park and Cantwell is getting hit hard with a north wind. Wrecking the snow for sure. Looks like the next week is going to be clear, cold and windy up here. Sounds like a fun trip out the hwy though!

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Temperatures still dropping in Interior Alaska; 50 to 60 zero below predicted
By Jeff Richardson

Published Monday, December 29, 2008

Print story
E-mail story
Comments
Digg
delicious
Facebook
Mixx
Reddit
Stumble It! FAIRBANKS -- Fairbanks officially hit the 40-below-zero mark for the first time this winter on Monday, and local forecasters have some bad news — it’s only going to get worse.

The National Weather Service is predicting uniformly cold weather throughout the Interior by Friday. Although some of the outlying hills and valleys around Fairbanks have escaped severe cold so far — some areas have only seen lows of about 10 below — that’s about to change.

“By Friday, 50 below is going to be passe,” said Rick Thoman, the lead forecaster for the National Weather Service’s local office. “We’re going to start looking for 60 below.”

Thoman said the growing cold will begin spreading into higher-elevation areas in the borough later this week. Ironically, a dense blanket of ice fog that’s expected to build in Fairbanks is probably the only thing that will spare the city from minus-50-degree temperatures that will hit other communities.

Fairbanks officially joined the 40-below club on Monday, when Fairbanks International Airport registered that milestone for the first time this winter. Most other areas in the Interior were even colder, including a low of 53 below in Circle Hot Springs. Eagle and Tok were both at minus 47, while Fort Yukon and Northway both officially registered 44 below. Nenana and Delta Junction were also at the 40-below mark.

Thoman said National Weather Service projections still haven’t marked a point where warmer weather is supposed to replace the current pattern of frigid temperatures

Looks like I won't be riding for a while!

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
brrrrr004a.jpg

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Oh that friggin hurts!!! More Rum:beer;

A
Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage AK
Polishing a Turd

Since it's sooooo Friking cold out I did a little long over due clean up and took a shower ,...oops no I polished up my tunnel and removed all my decals( is there anyway to get that lost hp back or do i need to apply more decals???) anyways I hope all is having a Happy New Year and Prayin for snow... (I hope he dont have that patented) (sp) or I'm Screwed, Any Who Stay safe and DON'T DRINK and TYPE.......

IMG_2661.jpg

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
Surprised none of you lower 48er's have commented on our gas prices!:mad:
Pipe line runs right past town!!!!
Its only -19 at my house in Anchorage, nothing like Fairbanks!

Last edited:
D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
The truck had -37 at the Knik Arm yesterday morning..It's about 6 here this morning. Heat wave fella's WOOO HOOO!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I was talking smart when I was back in Minnesota for christmas telling everyone that it has been milder in AK than there this winter. I got of the plain and to our frozen car and had to eat my words.

That's alright, give it 72 hours once the weather breaks here and they will have it there! My parents hate it when I call them and say it warmed up 50 degrees here cuz they know what that means for them soon!!!:D

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Its amazing how warm 6 feels compared to -35 huh?

Yeah, it is something else. I went out to start the truck this morning and felt like I should have had a t-shirt on. At least until I got to the truck..

I was out at hatchers yesterday for a spin and some pictures and there were a fair amount of guys riding. I have to tell you though, I am starting to get a little antsy to ride. I just can't take riding in -20+ temp's. I was sitting here thinking that Baldy sounds pretty good tomorrow or maybe a trail ride at Big Lake. either way, I need to get out before I loose more of my marbles. :face-icon-small-con

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
6 where was that???

Its amazing how warm 6 feels compared to -35 huh?

Must've been up at Hatchers I'm still looking at -10 here in Peters Creek. Rode Hatchers all week, way warmer there. Rode Baldy yesterday -15 all day.
Gitty Up!!:rolleyes:

Premium Features