• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP could care less about the consumer

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I will never buy a BRP product again!! I purchased a new motor for the wifes sled back in Janurary through a dealer and was supposed to get a $700.00 core refund. Unfortunately the dealer went out of business, so I contacted BRP to see if they will get me my $700.00 back. They told me they decided that I have to get it back from the dealer. I asked how?? They told me it wasn't their problem but the dealers problem. I asked if the dealer was given the money? They said they couldn't tell me that information. I asked several times, HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO TALK TO THE DEALER ,HE WENT OUT OF BUSINESS!!! They kept telling me it was between the dealer and me. It was like talking to a brick wall.
Why would BRP want to screw a customer out of $700.00. I guess they could care less if they lose a customer. I know they just lost me and anyone of my family and friends.
icon8.gif

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Dean:

That kind of stuff sticks with you for a lifetime......

I had a similar experience with a 96' Polaris XCR 600 Triple.

Motor blew three times under warranty, then 2 days out of warranty it blew again. All four times it blew for the same reason, a known defect.

I protested for 9 months, writing letters, calling customer service, asking to speak with managers, then out of exasperation writing a letter to the CEO at the time.....

"Out of warranty" was the reply.

I went out and ordered two Skidoos, and never went back to Polaris. 12 months later, for some unknown reason, I received a check for $900 from Polaris in my mailbox.

By then the damage was done.

A guy should be able to get over it, afterall it was +- 16 years ago.......

I am sure things are better now, but I just can't. I cannot get over how badly I was treated.

Up until then I was a loyal Polaris customer........

I feel for ya bud, I have been there and it is tough to get past it...

Keep the pressure on, write letters, get first and last names of people who you talk to. Be polite, try and go to the next level above whom you are talking to.

Good luck..........

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
In 2000 I bought my first brand new sled a 2000 700 himark 151 I left it stock and ran it in the hill climbs had another mod sled anyway, april 1 the crank went out took it to the dealer they denied my warranty so I called skidoo they said it had to many miles there was nothing in the warranty about miles just a date. Skidoo told me to bad so I told them I was planning on buying 2 sled for next year and they would not be skidoos.
I have bought at least 1 seld every year most years 2 or more 2009 I bought 10 sleds from cat that is a lot of sleds they did not sell. skidoo will not get anymore of my money.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Closed Dealer

I feel for your situation. Lets see if there is a way to solve it. While I am not an attorney I have been in this spot. Legally, your gripe is with the party you did business with - that would be the local business that sold you product they purchased from BRP. Reverse is true as well, if the dealer was given the core refund they are on the hook with you by virtue of the sales contract. If the core was bad that is a different discussion and outcome.

You will need to contact the owner of the failed dealership and move on them, legally if necessary in small claims court in your county. BRP is IMO not a party to your sales contract and they have no direct business with you. Having been here you will find it a learning experience to maneuver the court system, get a judgement and see it through to payment. I have done it and the dealer will also have to pay your expenses to collect your money from him.

In the end the hard lesson is to have good judgement about your local dealer (which is a moving target many times) and limit your exposure at any one time. My experience is most times the failed dealer will make you whole if they have the means to do so.

Good luck. You now have to do some work to get the $700 but your case is easy to prove. In the big picture be thankful is is not $7,000.

Reactions: backcountryislife

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
dean do you know what happened to your $700? First, was your core good? If so, did BRP sent it to the dealer and he was supposed to give it to you? Or did they never send it to the dealer before he went out of biz and still have it? If they sent it to the dealer you REALLY shouldn't blame them at all. If you were them, would you send out 2 core charge refunds? If they never sent it to the dealer I get why you are so upset, I would be too. When a business dies, all debt dies with it. The govt will come after you for taxes, no way out of that, but all the other debt just goes up in smoke.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I talked to the owner of the dealership while he was in the process of all the mess. He said BRP never sent him the core charge back. And yes as far as they could tell the original core was good. I was going to have them just rebuild it but they said I could get a new short block for about $200.00 more and it would come with a factory 1 year warranty. So we decided to go that route. Wish I wouldn't have now. The engine was a 550 fan and only had 1800 miles on it. My wife is the one who is most upset about losing the money because it is her sled. If BRP would of told me they already sent the dealer the refund I could understand that, but nooo they can't tell me that info. So as far as I'm concerned it's a BRP engine and was a BRP dealership so they should make the customer happy unless they don't care about a happy customer.

Reactions: backcountryislife

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I talked to the owner of the dealership while he was in the process of all the mess. He said BRP never sent him the core charge back. And yes as far as they could tell the original core was good. I was going to have them just rebuild it but they said I could get a new short block for about $200.00 more and it would come with a factory 1 year warranty. So we decided to go that route. Wish I wouldn't have now. The engine was a 550 fan and only had 1800 miles on it. My wife is the one who is most upset about losing the money because it is her sled. If BRP would of told me they already sent the dealer the refund I could understand that, but nooo they can't tell me that info. So as far as I'm concerned it's a BRP engine and was a BRP dealership so they should make the customer happy unless they don't care about a happy customer.

I feel for you. However the dealership is not owned by BRP.
How can BRP be responsible for the actions of an independent dealer?
Who really knows the true story on where the motor ended up.. My sense is its the dealer who went belly up, and once that happens its very tough to do anything..Now if you have paper work showing that BRP received the motor and never sent it back to the failed dealership, thats a different story.
Good luck..

Reactions: tukernater
T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
Motor

A dealer ship that failed and left you hanging tells me that they might not have even sent it to BRP.I wonder how many other people got hung out to dry.If the dealer had the motor still there you might be able to get ahold of the authorities and check and see if it is still there they cant keep customer property but some times it is hard to get.You can prove it is yours by serial numbers. GOOD LUCK

Reactions: tukernater

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
I am a Parts Manager for a car dealership.... when a customer brings me a core, I promptly return the core money on the spot as long as the core meets the return requirements. How come the dealer didn't give you the core money back when you returned the core? Maybe the powersports world is different?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Perhaps the dealer was not current on his parts account & BRP simply applied core credit towards account?

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
He did. He was supposed to call me a couple days after I talked to him and I haven't heard from him since? I was trying to see if BRP could help me but they won't. I have been trying to contact the dealer the last couple of weeks with phone calls, but he won't call me back.(again)

Premium Features