• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken jack shaft

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
On my last ride i just got back onto the trail heading for the truck when i noticed my sled would viberate alot at 3/4 or more throttle. I stopped and opened the pannels to check my belt (it lasted all year) so i thought one of my motor mount bolts broke again, but they where fine. I started riding again and sure enough started shaking with speed, so i stoped to check my track. there were no rips or ice build up in the tunnel so i rode back to the truck slow. After rebuilding my primary i started my sled up on my stand and finally noticed the bent shaft. I put the shaft in the lathe at work to find the high spot and used a 1' snipe to see if it would bend and sure enough with very little pressure it broke right at the bearing. im just glad it didnt decide to let go out in the hills

picture.php

those two small circles where all that was holding

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
so what's it filled with... some sort of epoxy or plastic?
I would take that back to your dealer and see what excuse they will come up with to not warranty it..LOL

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
its an 08 xp 146, about 1200 miles, i installed a team secondary at about 600 miles. unfortunatly i bought the setup off ebay so no chance of warrenty. i belive big john has a set up so i can run a team on the stock shaft or the qrs.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
im not sure on the make of the shaft, i bought the setup off ebay so cant try for warrenty. i might sell my secondary if anyone is interested!

M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
is its a team secondary, chances are its a team shaft. They sell them as a kit... Thought about buying one, sure glad I didn't by the look of that. Thanks DJ, haha

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
i was just talking to my cousin last night and he said the same thing happend to his xp with a team secondary

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
On my last ride i just got back onto the trail heading for the truck when i noticed my sled would viberate alot at 3/4 or more throttle. I stopped and opened the pannels to check my belt (it lasted all year) so i thought one of my motor mount bolts broke again, but they where fine. I started riding again and sure enough started shaking with speed, so i stoped to check my track. there were no rips or ice build up in the tunnel so i rode back to the truck slow. After rebuilding my primary i started my sled up on my stand and finally noticed the bent shaft. I put the shaft in the lathe at work to find the high spot and used a 1' snipe to see if it would bend and sure enough with very little pressure it broke right at the bearing. im just glad it didnt decide to let go out in the hills

picture.php

those two small circles where all that was holding
Do you have anymore pics of the jackshaft or your cousin? my team sec and jackshaft are sitting on my bench and I just looked and my team jackshaft it's the solid one and looks nothing like the one you're holding in your hand the one I have is smaller in Dia and is one piece the one you have looks like it's filled with something ans is larger in dia can you give more info, because you may have the so called hollow jackshaft, I would be getting in touch with jason at team anyway because this could be a big saftey issue.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I will get some more pictures and a diameter, its not the hollow shaft, its quite heavy. To me it looks like a casting flaw? it just seems like there is two types of metal not fused properly.

G
Apr 23, 2008
E-BAY ???? Be serious PLEASE !!!!:eek::cool:

You get what you pay for,, auction house sales are the worst newbie mistake in all of motorsports !:mad::mad::mad:

Every single RS racer has that system.. NOT ONE failure ...

Improper shimming WILL kill it when improperly installed..
It is irrelevant what the excuse is,, NO free play,, Gauranteed failure..

This type of bearing is NOT designed for ANY side load at all..
Improper shimming will overheat it, and heat is the ISSUE you guys are attempting to reduce ,,correct ???

That particular shaft appears to be some type of junk chinneeee ebay quality assurance and craftsmanship .....hummmm..

I am curious Joe,, is there enough of a radius at the base of the cut on the shaft ?? a poor machining job and insufficient radius will induce a fatique failure.. With the bearing in place we cannot see the radius cut to determine if it is the culprit.

Many Micro belmont quickchange clutches have failed at this point for the same reason !!!
the radius at the root of the spline was not wide enough and the shim washers had NO radius at all, the shim washers would CUT into the root of the spline, and cause fatigue and failure at that exact point... ?????

The money saved is far less than The COST of the savings..

lesson learned..for all of us..

Gus:light:

Last edited:
Premium Features