• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake Lever Timer Boost Switch On VI-PEC

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
we use to wire our nitrous up so when ya turned the high beam on it would arm the system then full throttle would trigger the shot. old days.

cool idea but I dont think its worth all the hassle. ive never been in a spot where i wish i could of turned up my boost in the middle of the same day nor anyone of the other turbos ive ever rode with. changing the maps only takes a minute with these things if ya ever wanted to run a higher hp map.

Correct, but the only way you can load a completely different map into the vipec is if you want to ride with the laptop and upload a file. And you have to power off the ecu and connect to it without the engine running (requires a battery) to upload a COMPLETELY different map.

So for simplicity it makes to be able to toggle between high and low boost.

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
What happens to the vipec turbo'd fueling when your o2 sensor craps out?

It'll run whatever values you have in your main fueling map..........

It's a good idea to use a wideband with the NTK sensor as it holds up really well to race fuel and the 2 stroke oil. I've had NTK sensors last up to 6 years in my car being ran with race gas only and nitrous.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Correct, but the only way you can load a completely different map into the vipec is if you want to ride with the laptop and upload a file. And you have to power off the ecu and connect to it without the engine running (requires a battery) to upload a COMPLETELY different map.

So for simplicity it makes to be able to toggle between high and low boost.
Sorry for the bad rep, I fat fingered the reply button on my phone.

So can you load two different fuel tables (maps) and set them to run closed loop off of a boost variable? Something like if boost is below 9 psi run table x if above 9 run y, then have your boost settings on the switch at 8 and 10 psi. So it would, in functionality, be able to run two completely different maps?

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
Sorry for the bad rep, I fat fingered the reply button on my phone.

So can you load two different fuel tables (maps) and set them to run closed loop off of a boost variable? Something like if boost is below 9 psi run table x if above 9 run y, then have your boost settings on the switch at 8 and 10 psi. So it would, in functionality, be able to run two completely different maps?

You wouldn't need multiple maps to make this scenario work. The simple way of explaining it is you can have your map sensor as one of your dimensions/axis's and an associated value for the injector for that point on the map. Let say that the value you have in their gives you the AFR you desire.

Example:

7500 rpm 100kpa you have a value of 33 for that cell
7500 rpm 150kpa you have a value of 42 for that cell
7500 rpm 180kpa you have a value of 48 for that cell

So as you increase boost pressure the map sensor value will move on the axis and give you more fuel.

Makes sense???

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
You wouldn't need multiple maps to make this scenario work. The simple way of explaining it is you can have your map sensor as one of your dimensions/axis's and an associated value for the injector for that point on the map. Let say that the value you have in their gives you the AFR you desire.

Example:

So as you increase boost pressure the map sensor value will move on the axis and give you more fuel.

Makes sense???

:face-icon-small-win ahhh....this put a smile on my face remembering last winter and staring at those fuel tables for hours and hours. Really glad you guys are pushing this thing forward. Its a great product that will really make riding turbos a lot more simple.........:face-icon-small-ton

its nice to have a sled with electric start and a set of jumpers to power up the ecu also....but you guys probably knew that.

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
:face-icon-small-win ahhh....this put a smile on my face remembering last winter and staring at those fuel tables for hours and hours. Really glad you guys are pushing this thing forward. Its a great product that will really make riding turbos a lot more simple.........:face-icon-small-ton

its nice to have a sled with electric start and a set of jumpers to power up the ecu also....but you guys probably knew that.

You got my jealous with that electric start buddy :). Always thought of adding that to my sled....

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK

Example:

Makes sense???
Gotcha. So on top of compensating for boost changes, and being able to compensate boost for atmospheric pressure, It also figures in absolute pressure into the motor. Haha I cant wait to get on one of these once their tried and true. I'm hoping it really is the future of turbo'd sleds and will, like R_8_N said "really make riding turbos a lot more simple"

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
Gotcha. So on top of compensating for boost changes, and being able to compensate boost for atmospheric pressure, It also figures in absolute pressure into the motor. Haha I cant wait to get on one of these once their tried and true. I'm hoping it really is the future of turbo'd sleds and will, like R_8_N said "really make riding turbos a lot more simple"

Yes it'll compensate for engine temp, air temp, baro pressure, map pressure, tps, ethanol % of fuel, timers, nitrous, and many more. It'll do all of this for the fuel and the ignition. It's just basically how creative do you want to be with the ecu. As you can see on this demonstration we were able to show some capability and then rework it for others feedback/liking (incorporating the timer/and tps into the boost switch).

So it just comes down to knowledge/capability of the person tuning the sled. It can be simple or complex. Sometimes the complexity of the things you have in the background make things more simple to the rider......

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
Yes it'll compensate for engine temp, air temp, baro pressure, map pressure, tps, ethanol % of fuel, timers, nitrous, and many more. It'll do all of this for the fuel and the ignition. It's just basically how creative do you want to be with the ecu. As you can see on this demonstration we were able to show some capability and then rework it for others feedback/liking (incorporating the timer/and tps into the boost switch).

So it just comes down to knowledge/capability of the person tuning the sled. It can be simple or complex. Sometimes the complexity of the things you have in the background make things more simple to the rider......

Reminder that this feature is only available with the new firmware release.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
huh so basically if you got a lefty throttle you could just run it through that lever so all the people who don't want to use the brake or anything else can do it that way too? I guess u could still even mount it on the right side. But I think its an awesome idea! I think this allows for the guys that want to play it safe and keep boost #s down and then for a couple runs a day want to compete with the big boys they can crank the boost a little bit then be back down to normal levels for normal riding/trails home. Brilliant idea imo.

Premium Features