• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brake Lever Timer Boost Switch On VI-PEC

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
I've been reading a lot of thread lately about some of you wondering how the vipec can control boost for your turbo kit. Well there's really two different strategies that you can use to control boost. Open Loop and Closed Loop. Open loop just hits a given duty cycle that you configure to your solenoid in your DC map. Closed Loop uses a PID alga rhythm to maintain a "target boost" that you input. I'll keep it simple in this post and just talk about open loop.

You can configure the X and Y axis to whatever you want parameters you see fit. A good way to do this is to use either load or TPS on the y axis and rpm on the X axis. 10% will be your minimum duty cycle for your turbo/wastegate combination (or base boost). 90% would be your maximum duty cycle (max boost). Let's say you do some testing and at 10% duty cycle you have a minimum of 6psi and when you change your duty table to 50% it gives you a boost setting of 12psi. You can interpolate the duty ranges and get a nice smooth boost curve and basically program any instance you'd like to change boost, i.e., a boost switch. A lot of guys really don't want to have to reach down and hit a switch or let even drill a hole and mount another switch in their pricey sled. So I thought of a quick and easy way you can get the vipec to do the work for you without installing any additional hardware or wiring. It's basically a configuration that you can use in a "push to pass" situation or if you're struggling to climb a big hill and you know you're not going to make it.

I put together a quick little video just illustrating this scenario. With just a flick of the brake lever you can now have increased boost. I've also configured this with a timer so you can set how long you want the increased boost and it will automatically turn off.

Hope this helps you guys!!

http://youtu.be/99KrmZq7csw

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I do like the idea but why not just set up a handle bar button. When I ride i use the break all the time so it would be jumping back and forth between two boost levels.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I do like the idea but why not just set up a handle bar button. When I ride i use the break all the time so it would be jumping back and forth between two boost levels.

Exactly..... Very cool idea, but wtf, are you suppose to ride all day without touching the brake lever??? Is there something we're missing?

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Cool, does it automatically change your clutching now that you have an extra 50horse on tap?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Cool, does it automatically change your clutching now that you have an extra 50horse on tap?

Why even make a asshat comment like this. If you hooked up Nitros would you complain if your clutching didnt change when you hit the button.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Why even make a asshat comment like this. If you hooked up Nitros would you complain if your clutching didnt change when you hit the button.

Lets reword the question then

What is a guy suppose to do with his clutching now that he has much more power?
5psi would be worth more than a few hundred rpm...

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Can this be triggered by something other than the brake switch? lets say turning on the high beam?

I have never used it, but it sounds something like Boondockers "push to pass"

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Can this be triggered by something other than the brake switch? lets say turning on the high beam?

I wouldn't want it in the brake lever, but that's awesome you can use any input as a parameter.

Can a given input have multiple uses based on rpm? Like if you were to use the reverse button, below a certain rpm or track speed it would allow reverse but above would allow for increased boost till the next time the sled was stopped?

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
Guys, all very valid concerns. Keep in mind this demonstration was to show some of the capability of the vipec WITHOUT wiring in extra switches, modules, etc.:sorry:

There can be some drawbacks to this as some of you have pointed out. But we can simply change the strategy we are using achieve this higher boost in other ways. I've attached a table I made this morning using a timer and tps based system. Now if you grab the brake while going through the trees the timer will activate for x numbers of seconds (this can be configured). However all parameters must be met to actually increased the duty cycle of the boost controller. By using the TPS as an axis we can give ourselves base boost while the timer is activated until 90% throttle. So if you're just cruising through the trees braking and throttling you won't have that increased boost level unless you go to 90% throttle in this scenario (while the timer is active).

Obviously ANY parts of this table can be tweaked for different outcomes, it just comes down more or less to the riders desired result and what they want their ECU to be able to do for them. In this scenario once the timer expires you'll go back to your base boost setting.

You could also disable your reverse and use it instead of wiring in a push button switch. If you'd like to be without your reverse.

Exactly..... Very cool idea, but wtf, are you suppose to ride all day without touching the brake lever??? Is there something we're missing?

Correct this is similar to a nitrous kit adding power without all the headaches of the weight of nitrous, the bottle pressure, is it full? etc....

Lets reword the question then

What is a guy suppose to do with his clutching now that he has much more power?
5psi would be worth more than a few hundred rpm...

This is meant to be a quick power option to help you get up the hill if your sled is bogging. If it's bogging you could use the extra power and likely get your track speed up right away.

You could use the highbeams, but it would take some wiring into the ecu. They're not wired into the ecu from the factory. Would be nice if the switch wasn't in such a non rider friendly place. If the switch were up by the handle bars this would be an option as well.

I wouldn't want it in the brake lever, but that's awesome you can use any input as a parameter.

Can a given input have multiple uses based on rpm? Like if you were to use the reverse button, below a certain rpm or track speed it would allow reverse but above would allow for increased boost till the next time the sled was stopped?

The reverse button is locked out in the ecu. However, you are correct you can use multiple uses with a given input. For example you can have a boost switch with just flipping the ethanol content resistor from one position to the other......

table1.jpg

Last edited:

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Cool, im excited to see how they do this year, and try one out!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
IS the feature that vipec has cool? YES.. is the quite possibly the most ignorant way to hook it up? im thinking so...

also, i just have an issue with the concept of push to pass. so you have a good clutching setup holding you a little below the rev limiter(where most do already) now we kick up the boost even a few psi and your gonna be floating on the rev limiter if not just hammering into it. not to mention fueling requirements jumping up boost.

Just seems like feature creep to the max to me. choose a boost for your day, clutch for it, put the right gas in and ride. stop jacking around and go have fun.

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
IS the feature that vipec has cool? YES.. is the quite possibly the most ignorant way to hook it up? im thinking so...

also, i just have an issue with the concept of push to pass. so you have a good clutching setup holding you a little below the rev limiter(where most do already) now we kick up the boost even a few psi and your gonna be floating on the rev limiter if not just hammering into it. not to mention fueling requirements jumping up boost.

Just seems like feature creep to the max to me. choose a boost for your day, clutch for it, put the right gas in and ride. stop jacking around and go have fun.

The vipec will automatically change the fueling with boost/map compensation. Ignorance is bliss!!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If you could set this up so it will only activate when the break is taped and the tps is at 95% or greater then it would probable work, Ive never tried to run full throttle and break at the same time, alternating yes but not both at once. But the timer would have to only activate if the tps % requirement was met.

C

Cody Phillips Racing

Feb 7, 2012
South Weber, UT
If you could set this up so it will only activate when the break is taped and the tps is at 95% or greater then it would probable work, Ive never tried to run full throttle and break at the same time, alternating yes but not both at once. But the timer would have to only activate if the tps % requirement was met.

You absolutely can do it this way. However I didn't think you guys would want to hold the brake :)

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
we use to wire our nitrous up so when ya turned the high beam on it would arm the system then full throttle would trigger the shot. old days.

cool idea but I dont think its worth all the hassle. ive never been in a spot where i wish i could of turned up my boost in the middle of the same day nor anyone of the other turbos ive ever rode with. changing the maps only takes a minute with these things if ya ever wanted to run a higher hp map.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Remember this is only a DEMO.
If you dont want it dont, do it. We are just trying to show some cool things that can be done with the vipec and also Cody's capability.
How many other things can we come up with? There has got to be some cool ideas we have never thought about. The sky is the limit. It is crazy!!:whoo:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Didn't know you were showing just for demonstration. Very cool how advanced the Vipec is. Thanks for sharing

Premium Features