• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocking a TM1000

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Just wanted to check in with the guys that are running boosted M1000s and see what percentage are using them as their primary tree riding machine or if they are better left as a hillclimber.

Right now my 1000 has a few mods to help out in the power department and is a pull and go sled that I like. I do wish it was a little lighter feeling in the front end at times but at 6'3" and 260# I by no means struggle getting it to go where I want.

I don't get much of thrill out of hillclimbing, and prefer to spend most of my time on tree filled sidehills. I also like to jump some, whip the sled around a little on its tail, and hammer through moguls (I race MX on ATVs in the summer so I actually welcome a rough fast section of trail once in a while). I did get to spend quite a bit of time on my dad's 2011 M8 153 and the fun factor on that sled is definitely up there as well for me, just a little low in the power department.

Now given all this, I am trying to decide if I should put a turbo on my current '09 M1000 162 with a kmod skid, or ride it another year as is and try to move into a lighter 800 turbo in a year or two. I know that If I add the turbo it is going to offset some of the heavy feel that a 1000 has and definitly add more to the fun factor! I just don't know how responsive a turbo on a 1000 is and if it works well in the trees. As far as the boost level, I don't want to run full race gas due to the price, but I would run up to 50/50 110 and 91.

I believe that a T800 with a 153 track would be about the perfect machine for me but I don't want to go that route without moving to the new chassis. And I don't want to do that until Cat sheds a little more weight off of them and see if they have their drive train issues figured out. Also I am not interested in buying a used TM8 because I am just not comfortable getting into a mod sled that I dont know the history of.

Okay sorry for the long post. Lets hear it: Just put the turbo on already, or waste of time?

For guys our size I love the 1000 for tree riding, its nice to have the out of the hole hit.
Just so long as its tuned right.

go twisted for sure shain does some motor work to keep the low end crisp. gear down to at least 56/64 all i ever ride is mine in the trees 50/50 at 7 lbs all day long lots of fun

If I do it I was planning on getting a twisted kit just because i don't think I have heard one bad thing about Shain's kits on the 1000. They also look pretty clean after installation.

Just guessing, but I bet the MDS weights I have now are not heavy enough for the turbo setup. Probably wouldn't be too hard to sell them to somebody though.

A TM1000 makes a fantastic boondocking machine. Mine had a stage 3 CPC kit and lag was almost non-existent, plus a few hundred horsepower has a way of lightening up the front end. Still, it takes all of an hour to figure out how to keep a TM8 spooled up and they're way more reliable and I can almost get a season out of a belt. I have 2 TM8s now and if one gets totaled I'll get another. FWIW I'm like you and find little enjoyment in going straight up a hill. Like golf, I'll wait to play that game until I'm fat and old.

Tm1000

If all you like is tree riding,I would consider getting tm8, I bought my wife a used 09 with boodockers pump gas kit low boost good realiablity, pull the rope i would not be afraid to buy a used boondockes turbo, there are lots of smoken deals out there, half the money or more for t1000 you could get the sled ready to rip, lots of guys will be riding m's for a while yet.

If all you like is tree riding,I would consider getting tm8, I bought my wife a used 09 with boodockers pump gas kit low boost good realiablity, pull the rope i would not be afraid to buy a used boondockes turbo, there are lots of smoken deals out there, half the money or more for t1000 you could get the sled ready to rip, lots of guys will be riding m's for a while yet.

TM8 will not pull out of a hole like the 1000, I know some claim they will and maybe it will for a smaller guy but I've been there and the 1000 has some instant low end power.

The weights would have to be changed to turbo weights anyway, but I think there is a way as long as your not going for huge boost.

The turbo M1000...

Is a Great sled especially '09 and newer. The main thing with a guy your size, for tree riding is to have the right track under that sled. You might not think a 174" track is good for tree riding BUT they work Awesome, even a 162X3" is great. Couple that with Shains turbo and you will be smilin.

I would either keep the M1000 naturally aspirated or sell and buy a 2010 or newer M8 turbo......For Lots of reasons.....

-Ever going to be able to let that 1000 get on its high gear and run in the trees?
- M8 bottom end is crisp and clean for the trees....
-2010 and newer M8 is dead even with the 1000 turbo until 12psi.... after 12psi the 1000 will walk away...(This has been my experience).....
-T M1000 will smoke belts in the trees like crazy....
M8 lots lighter...

And so on and so forth... I own both an m8 turbo and a M1000 turbo and I would pick the TM8 in the trees all day long over the TM1000...

I guess if you could find a cheap used 1000 turbo kit and slap it on that might be the cheapest way to go if money is a driving factor....

If you do the 1000 turbo for boondocking I would run it on pumpgas for that crisp bottom end, I would gear it down a bunch, and I would brace the crap out of the motor to help with the twisting issue to help a little with the belt life....

Either way I have a feeling a Turbo is in your near future..... It all starts with a simple idea....." I wonder if I should think about getting a turbo" LOL

gearing down is not the way to go IMO, especially on a TM1. Just get the right clutching.
Nope not this time, i rode with stock gears60/60 and 56/64 and geared down no comparison, way snappier in the tight and twisties, on and off throttle. top end climbing shutes sure gear up, but not in the trees. and oh ya i enjoy my belts lasting all season geared down

Nope not this time, i rode with stock gears60/60 and 56/64 and geared down no comparison, way snappier in the tight and twisties, on and off throttle. top end climbing shutes sure gear up, but not in the trees. and oh ya i enjoy my belts lasting all season geared down

I also prefer the 56/64 gearing, a lot better for all around riding, a bit funner, keeps it higher in the r's, better for boondocking. I could see in a long climb you might not want this, maybe lose some speed, but honestly i didnt notice any difference in the climbs i was doing except the more raw pull of the machine. This is obviously going to come down to rider preference, but I would say for the average joe gearing down helps.

Premium Features

Back