• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker EBC... how does it function?

T

TheBreeze

I am trying to wrap my head around how the Boondocker EBC actually controls boost. I.E. what does the small unit tied into the boost reference line from the charge tube, to waste gate actuator actually do.

Anyone care to explain this in terms a dum azz flat-lander can understand?

Moreover, I am trying to diagnose why I am unable to get more than 8 ish psi out of the low boost actuator even with the EBC on my Boondocker kit. According to Boondocker, I should be able to approach 12 even with the 4 psi actuator and the EBC.

Last edited:
The way I understand it it simply ready barometric pressure (ambient) and reads the pressure in the line, and gives you a consistent boost level by using the two together.

Anything that is blocking it from reading boost or current barometric pressure will stop it from working, so water in the lines... that kind of thing could keep you from getting the boost you're looking for easily, but I doubt with what you went through last year that you're not being conscious of moisture in the line.

I get all that, but am more wondering how this boost solenoid, or whatever functions.View attachment 179453

That’s the heart of what makes the system function.

So on a conventional system as boost raises it is applied to the diaphragm that controls the waste gate. As the boost raises it slowly opens to the regulated boost point. This can cause a delay in reaching full boost.

The ebc controls the solenoid you pictured which in placed between the diagram and boost source. The solenoid can be modulated or left off so that you can reach full boost fast, then the gate can be opened (Solenoid opened) to regulate the max boost setting. A new function added last year is boost controlled by throttle position. This is accomplished the same way.

Sounds about right, but your problem could be anything.
Sometimes BD stuff doesn't always work the way the say it should and your best bet is find a dealer that has lots of experience. A friend had one that was doing kinda the same thing, he adjusted the numbers and then it worked different, not sure if he even knew what he did.
BD kits are a art of learning from reading, experience and talking to professionals.

Good luck, I like the way the latest tps ebc kits work, its pretty trick and simpler. I would update to latest version.

if you cant hit the kinds of boost your wanting and that could normally be hit with the same components. get to pressure testing your turbo system. cap your turbo inlet, cap your downpipe and start airing it up.. should hold 15psi all day. its fun, makes the sled run way better once you clean up all your leaks!

My intake side is 100 sealed when I checked. I loose pressure slowly out of the y pipe donut on the exhaust
side if the rtv isn't fresh. Can a small leak on the exhaust side bleed off that much boost?

I installed an Boondocker adjustible actuator to try and rule out too soft a waste gate spring.

Any exhaust leak can cause issues. If you want a really good test just unhook the line to the waste gate and plug it and see how much she pulls
That's the same thing the solenoid will do if your asking for.more the it can get
Just holding all air away from the wastegate

Are any of these donut seals really 100% sealed under boost without the welded and bolted flex seals? I can get the exhaust sealed up with rtv but it burns out and leaks after running for a bit.

Last edited:
No. I am basing this on what I saw last season on the hill. I would set the ebc at say 9 or 10 pounds, and only pull mid sevens on the recall screen even on long pulls.

No. I am basing this on what I saw last season on the hill. I would set the ebc at say 9 or 10 pounds, and only pull mid sevens on the recall screen even on long pulls.

I found with the BD ebc I had to set it a few lbs higher then what I wanted. Say if I wanted 10# I would set the ebc at 12. This was just my experience with it, others may of had different results.

Mine also always seemed about 2 pounds low but my setup seems to max out at 7.5 even with the ebc set at 12 with the low boost waste gate spring.

Are you supposed to calibrate it first, I can't remember but there was something funky with setup on the those.
Have you called BD, or a good dealer

Mine also always seemed about 2 pounds low but my setup seems to max out at 7.5 even with the ebc set at 12 with the low boost waste gate spring.

Make sure you check the calibration. This could be part of your problem

a little off topic... Where is everyone getting power to their ebc's? Fuel pump? Is there another reliable source? thanks

Dogtown, I know we are fighting the same problem, I am 99% sure I have mine figured out. PM me if your still having problems............

The first EBC systems had a bad power source, bd came up with an update for that problem. I highly recommend it, without it causes it to go lean and throw the det code a lot.

I couldn't get over 9# at first. You can losen the jam but on that actuator rod and put more pressure on the spring. I believe I moved mine about a 1/4". I can now hit 12#. O and I was in contact with BD about the ebc, they said could be out of calibration. I re-check and calibrated and still need to set it a few numbers higher then the boost I want to achieve. I just learned to work around it so-to-speak.

Premium Features

Back