• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bog when secondaries come on

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
I have an '08 M1000 with a Push race gas kit running a Dobeck box. I have a nasty bog when getting on and off the throttle that seems to be right when my secondary injectors come on. It runs awesome WFO. If I turn my boost controller down so I am below my secondary's turn on point the bog goes away, so I know it is related to the secondaries. Without the secondaries though I can't get my A/F below the low 13s, even with my primaries maxed out on the box. I am guessing that is at least partially caused by the low fuel pressure I have to run (32 lbs). I have the lightest Tial spring in my WG (4.35 lbs). My secondaries are set to turn on at 5 lbs. I have been out riding and tuning with the guys from Dobeck once and we got it running better, but ran out of time before we got it totally figured out. Went out yesterday and played with all the settings on the box with little change. I think I need to have the base programming changed, but I don't know what to tell them to change. Any ideas or suggestions?

Josh, I was thinking about it a little more, does your setup have 1 or 2 extra injectors?

i thought it was two, if so, are they both inline in the charge tube? or side by side in the airbox?

What are your settings, and what means what. At 32psi those injectors are slobbering. I prefer high pressure.

Where is your control box boost reference line connected?
could be getting an over boost causing a fuel pressure spike.

I had some spark plug wire issues cause that once if the tuning isn't perfect.

Josh, I was thinking about it a little more, does your setup have 1 or 2 extra injectors?

i thought it was two, if so, are they both inline in the charge tube? or side by side in the airbox?
I have 2 extra injectors. Inline in the charge tube.
What are your settings, and what means what. At 32psi those injectors are slobbering. I prefer high pressure.

Where is your control box boost reference line connected?
could be getting an over boost causing a fuel pressure spike.

I had some spark plug wire issues cause that once if the tuning isn't perfect.
Yeah, I don't like running 32 psi fuel pressure. Ken actually told me to run 30 psi. I tried turning it up to 34 psi one day and the sled wouldn't hardly run. Loaded up bad on the bottom. I turned it down to 32 psi and the problem went away. I haven't tried turning it up since Dobeck retuned the box. Maybe now I could run it higher. My FPR is an in-tank BDX, so making fuel pressure changes isn't the easiest thing.

My boost reference is connected to my airbox. My box settings are:

G - 3
Y - 3
R - 6
G/B - Secondaries - 6
Y/B - Primary boost fuel - 8
R/B - Red switch point - 5.5

My R and Y/B are set so high to try to get enough fuel at low boost below secondary turn on. I don't have my FP gauge mounted where I can see it when riding, so I don't know for sure if it is rising with boost. I need to get it mounted on my bars to confirm that.

without knowing the program in the box its hard to tell. I don't have experience with the 1000 either only the 8. But if I didn't have the yellow in the perfect spot (1.5) it would do it all the time. With the fp that low who knows.
One nice thing about mine having the oil delete the boost reference line was hooked to the throttle bodies boots so when you let off the throttle there wasn't any over boost.
From what I've been hearing I think I would ditch the box and go with a boost it box.

The best way I've found to start is to shut the red off, then tune it as close as possible and if needed start adding the red.

For now you may want to get the gauges where you can see them, then play and watch.

Still 32 psi and having the injectors in the ct slobbering just doesn't make sense to me but I really don't know.

fuel pressure

09 twisted extreme m8, my fuel pressure is at 40 psi at idle, and rise 1 psi per lb of boost, running 10 psi with straight avgas, 50 psi fuel presure at w.o.t.

Premium Features

Back