• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bog and pipes...

M
Sep 10, 2009
I'm looking into getting pipes/can for my 2006 Arctic Cat M7, but I already kinda got a bog for my sled when I get in some deep powder. It's not a major bog, but just enough to annoy me, and I was told getting a pipe or can for my sled would make it worse. Is this true, any personal experiences? :D and I don't have enough cash for a boony box(fuel management)

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Typically yes, some silencers and twins make it worse. I found that reshimming the primary to about .020 clearance and running a shallow helix with substantial preload on the spring got rid of alot of it, and RKT head got rid of a bit more....never did get completely rid of the infamous M7 "bog", even with a ET900 setup it was still noticable.....a trait of the engine, I have never ridden or heard one without it. It's really more annoying than anything.
Make sure the bog your feeling is not exhaust or intake plugging....intake plugging is a common problem.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You beat me to it
could be a bog from the exhaust plugging or intake getting to much snow piled up on the vent, have you noticed if it bogs when leaning to the exhaust side or when there is snow up on the intake inlets, have you played with belt deflection or clutching. some have gotten rid of the bog by moving(barometer tube) the clear tube that comes out of the ecu. Also do a search, type in "m7 bog"

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
And don't forget about getting the heat out from under the hood. I run twins on mine and the only time I have problems is when underhood temps get too hot. Also like what was said before pay attention to belt deflection, these sleds seem to be real finiky if its not just right, at least thats what I have noticed.

M
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for the personal experience, and I have been looking at getting vents, just took the vinyls and windsheild off. Hope to get vents b4 the season begins.

M
Sep 10, 2009
I have noticed a couple times when I'm sidehilling with my exhaust side, and I'll pin it and start bringing my front end up to shoot up the hill. Right around there is when it has bogged pretty bad.
Thanks for the suggestions. : )

S
Aug 24, 2009
Boise, ID
Like WyoBoy1000 said. I would move the barometer tube. I moved mine several times and found pointing it towards the exhaust works. After clubing a tree on my M7 and had to fix some of the plastic up front, it never ran right again until I moved that tube. Same on my M1000. I don't know why but the cats ecm's love the smell of exhaust!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Like WyoBoy1000 said. I would move the barometer tube. I moved mine several times and found pointing it towards the exhaust works. After clubing a tree on my M7 and had to fix some of the plastic up front, it never ran right again until I moved that tube. Same on my M1000. I don't know why but the cats ecm's love the smell of exhaust!!

The tube is a barometric pressure sensor, when down in the could air it thinks the air is denser and put more fuel to the motor in the warmer air it thinks there is less usable air and leans it out a little. Most of the time it is a very insignificant change and wont make a diff, but once in a while it does.

You can change or add an extra outlet in the exhaust sometimes and fix the exhaust bog

M
Sep 10, 2009
Well, I'll definitely give a good tune up a dicision. But when you say tune tune up, what exactly do you mean? Like cleaning everything, and refilling the oils or what?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
last year there was a guy that all of use where trying to help get his sled running after a about a week of back and forth posting he reported back, put new plugs in and it rips. :D Back to the basics Clean powervalves, new plugs, check clutching(may need new springs or rollers), new belt, good gas, ect....

S
Nov 27, 2007
bog

I agree with whoboy1000,check clutchs roller,alignment.clean valves new plugs.I have even run a can of injector cleaner through......just to be sure inj are not dirty/gummy.
DON'T run twins without a box,you will be buying pots and pistons.My bud runs a D&D light pipe,ypipe torsional conversion(sec) the sled works pretty good.I would try a 2 degree timing key and clutch it,along with a ypipe and pipe/can.Check primary spring for bind and tension.These motors are way overfueled....and pretty much bullet proof IMO.Pin it to win it!!!!
Good luck.

73GOLIATH

Jan 3, 2008
m7 bog

hi
i noticed on my sled in deep powder the the snow will block both intake vents on my hood so i ended up installing bdx black box intake never had the bog in deep snow agian
just my 2 cents
also you can run the intake with out a bd box but make sure to check your plugs

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
last year there was a guy that all of use where trying to help get his sled running after a about a week of back and forth posting he reported back, put new plugs in and it rips. :D Back to the basics Clean powervalves, new plugs, check clutching(may need new springs or rollers), new belt, good gas, ect....

Yeah, what you said... that is what I was thinking.

U

undercat

Dec 1, 2007
sk,Canada
power valves

my friend had a bogging issue with his m7 and could not figure it out. turns out that the power valves needed to be set. talk to your cat dealer and get the exact measurements.

Premium Features