• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Billings, Cooke City, West Yellowstone suggestions

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I learned a few hours ago the dates of my daughters college interviews and figured I could make a sled trip out of it. I'm not 100% certain on the riding plan but here are my preliminary thoughts. Feedback/opinions would be appreciated. I've been riding over 20 years with 85% in the Snowies and 15% in CO. Like boondocking. If anyone has room in their group for one more let me know.

Wed Jan 21 pm start heading toward Billings.
Thurs 22 arrive in Billings
Fri 23 may be able to ride for the day if there is an area close to Billings, otherwise I'll just hang out in town.

Sat 24 drive to Cooke City. Arrive by 11am. Sled remainder of day.
Sun 25 sled all day

Mon 26 drive to West Yellowstone. Arrive 11 and sled remainder of day.
Tues 27 either sled all day, maybe renting a 2nd, or doing the park tour.
Tues after sledding, drive to Pocatello.

Wed 28 may be able to ride for the day if there is a close area.
Thur 29 may start heading back to Nebr or may ride for the day, probably south toward SLCity? Could also end up going to Laramie and riding the snowies but I always go there. Don't think I need to be home till Sunday.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
You have a job that has detailed scheduling don't you? Lol. That's way too much planing for me. We usually figure out a couple days before if we are taking a trip. If we are out that way you can ride with us.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Interview dates available were limited and I am going with the flow. Normally we don't decide till the week of departure if we are going that week.

I am open to suggestions for riding areas but these seem the most logical given the route we will be driving.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
We have to go to billings and Pocatello, in that order. I figured I could at least see and ride a few areas I've never been to.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
loding options

Wondering what lodging options/suggestions there are in Cooke and West Yellowstone.

Nothing fancy needed, just clean. We are looking at 1-2 nights in each location.

Also, looking for recommendations where to rent a sled from in each town. Arctic Cat would be nice because that's what I'm familiar with, but any brand ok. Probably 600cc because daughter would be riding it and she has only ridden a handful of times so we'll not be doing anything crazy.

Thanks!

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Super 8 in Cooke. Mention sw and get a discount on a room. Continental breakfast and you can rent a cat from bob.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ok, I was overly ambitious on my plan. As much as I want to ride Cooke, it will add a lot of drive time for only 1.5 days riding.

Is there any riding close to Billings? I will have a day there with no plans.

Then we drive to West Yellowstone for about 3.5 days.

I am clutched for 9-12k but I can change that if needed.?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I was hoping for something within an hour or so. Long shot I know.

Any recommendations on dealerships to visit or other things to do in Billings since it is doubtful I'll be sledding that day?

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Are new Scheels is opened and will kill about 3 hours or more. Other than that Hi tech is are Cat dealer. Billings is about 3 hours from anything fun.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I may have to check out the Cat dealer and scheels then, lol. Wait, that's not funny.

I might reconsider Cooke again, even though it will cause me to lose 1/2 day riding. Should I spend equal time in Cooke and West Yellowstone, or more in one?

Right now I'm clutched for 9-12k. I'm guessing Cooke would be ok but West Yellowstone may require 6-9k weights. ??

Carramrod

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2011
Kalispell, MT
You can ride the big snowies north of billings about 90 miles, but i do not know what the snow is like up there because i haven't ridden it yet this year. The crazies which are around 110 miles west near clyde park, and there's sledding in the bighorns but i have no clue the exact location and distance from billings Ive been told its roughly 1.5 hours from billings to go ride the big horns.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Screw Scheel's! Go to the Bighorns! Two hours max to the top! I-90 to Ranchester turn off and 45 mn to Burgess Junction. Bear Lodge has all of the things you'll need up there.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Two hrs max to top - does that mean 2 hrs to bear lodge? I wouldn't be able to leave billings before like 730am and would prob need to be back by 5. That would give me a ride day of around 930-3. Not bad. I might do that.

Potential plan -
Friday 23 - big horns, 930-3. Anyone want to ride that day?

Sat 24 - Cooke city - drive there in morning and ride afternoon, like 1-5
Sun 25 - Cooke - ride all day, probably get a rental for my daughter. Anyone want to do an easy ride that day?

Mon 26 - West Yellowstone - drive there and ride a few hrs in afternoon
Tues 27 - West Y - ride all day, renting a sled. Anyone want to do an easy ride?

Tues 27 - after riding, drive to Pocatello

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I made reservations so if anyone wants to ride let me know. The plan is:
Bighorns jan 23 all day till 3pm. Coming down from billings.
Cooke city 24 in the afternoon
Cooke 25 all day
West Yellowstone 26 in afternoon
West Yellowstone 27 all day
Pocatello in the morning till 2pm or just a few hours till 2 pm.

Also, if anyone can tell me how the cell service is in any of theses areas that would be great. Thanks!

Premium Features