• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Boards on the Pro - REVIEW!

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Seeing your pics of the better boards with snow and Ice still built up between the rail and better board and between the better board and tunnel is my real traction problem. I'd still have to kick the snow and Ice out from between the two, Id like to see some real world testing of the Skins Airframes.

You dont have to kick them! you just slid your foot back to clear them.
remmember he still didn't have his vinyl on the tunnel in those pics.
I have a couple of side by side pics comparing stock vs bb & vinyl.
these were taken after a full day @ RE
Stock
IMG_20110125_165328.jpg

Better boards & vinyl
IMG_20110125_165442.jpg

Here is A 09 w/better boards and no vinyl,pollished tunnel
same day
IMG_20110125_165310.jpg

It is my opinion that even with air frames, You still need to address those gaping holes and bare alumn.
IMG_20110122_161901.jpg

Why not do both, vent & block off
IMG_20110122_161335.jpg

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
You dont have to kick them! you just slid your foot back to clear them.
remmember he still didn't have his vinyl on the tunnel in those pics.
I have a couple of side by side pics comparing stock vs bb & vinyl.
these were taken after a full day @ RE
Stock
IMG_20110125_165328.jpg

Better boards & vinyl
IMG_20110125_165442.jpg

Here is A 09 w/better boards and no vinyl,pollished tunnel
same day
IMG_20110125_165310.jpg

It is my opinion that even with air frames, You still need to address those gaping holes and bare alumn.
IMG_20110122_161901.jpg

Why not do both, vent & block off
IMG_20110122_161335.jpg

Mike, your not the only guy that has BB's on a Pro in Colorado :lol:, Nor are you the only guy that rides RE's all Day :lol:. We are all aware how much better BB's are then stock, but there is other options out there! Some may be better then BB's? and some of us are willing to try something different. I know you guys have a huge boner for them and that's cool, but stop beating the issue to death! F-bomb does a good job of marketing his own product.

As for the Cobe foot well plate,You can address that all you want, in 1600 miles of riding a Vohk/BD Turbo Assault and 2 pro's I've never had a belt slip due to water or powder getting into the foot well. Thanks for your 2 cents, I'll give mine and everyone else can make there own decisions!

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Tec,
To be Honest I have a "Boner" for the Air Frames.
But until my warranty Expires, They won't be on my sled.
I am trying to address the bare alumn. and the fact that snow will stick.
SORRY to offend, Or Preach, And I do See lots of trailers in the parking lots.
If were lucky We may see 2 or 3 sleds all day. Must be alot of hiding in the trees.:face-icon-small-hap

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Tec,
To be Honest I have a "Boner" for the Air Frames.
But until my warranty Expires, They won't be on my sled.
I am trying to address the bare alumn. and the fact that snow will stick.
SORRY to offend, Or Preach, And I do See lots of trailers in the parking lots.
If were lucky We may see 2 or 3 sleds all day. Must be alot of hiding in the trees.:face-icon-small-hap

I'm not offended in anyway, just tired of reading the same thing over and over again. If I get Airframes on one of my sleds I'd probably powder coat them anyways? Anytime you want to ride some Pow at RE, Buff or Spring Creek, you just let me know.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
I'm not offended in anyway, just tired of reading the same thing over and over again. If I get Airframes on one of my sleds I'd probably powder coat them anyways? Anytime you want to ride some Pow at RE, Buff or Spring Creek, you just let me know.
TEC,
Powder coatings stick to, look at Our A-arms and rear skids.
We chase the snow and try to ride during the week. We will be@ buff in the AM. I would Love to see Your turbo run.
Peace out see ya in the trees!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Thanks for the report BugIto! Also thanks for the support Mike.

We rode this past few days in Afton Wyoming. Epic deep over the hood powder. We had 8 pro's in this group. 3 with Better Boards and the rest without. The withouts that rode the with's were feeling the handicap!:D Plain and simple they are just alot BETTER and that is what we are hoping people will see!

I love the PRO and I absolutely enjoy having Better Boards on it. Rode several of the other PRO's to test people's misc setups and 100% the Boarded up sleds are far better traction irregardless of the snow.

Funny how we continue to really get the support for Better Boards on the PRO FROM THOSE THAT OWN AND RIDE THEM ON THE SLED IN QUESTION! hmmmmmmm

also note my clutches did not slip or fill with snow...we have a pretty good toe opening evacuation area and I'm a pretty busy footed rider so I think that might be a major factor. It appears to me that most of the problems are when guys' boards don't get clear then they kick forward trying to release the buildup in the footwell rather then stomping down to clear it through. (?)

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
that is funny. BB are a godsend compared to stock running boards.

you should try airframes. takes it to a whole other level.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
PV I've ridden them on a couple different sleds including the PRO. Just rode a set again on a PRO Saturday. As a matter of fact I have more miles on them then you do!:D:D

Are we in a big rush to re-design our industry leading product that we've sold 10,000 plus units on? Not even being considered. Per our private comments if that was the way we'd already be manufacturing and selling them.

here is why: unknown vehicle structural risk...rider risk.....cost...installation labor...performance...universal marketability..sorry but not a viable deal but I'm sure they will work great for you!

Once again I flat out love my proven PRO with Better Boards especially after I've had to ride someone else's without!

Better because a couple hundred dollars and a couple hours MAX for the install...over two million tested ridden miles on 32 plus designs..HMMMMMM?

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
that is funny. BB are a godsend compared to stock running boards.

you should try airframes. takes it to a whole other level.

I have to agree here on the airframes - best boards that I have used so far. My past experience has been stock, Better Boards and WRP. Better Boards and WRP were both very good, but the airframes are a step above in my opinion.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
rob, i love the fact that i can get under your skin so easily, and repeatedly. i kinda makes me laugh. plus i don't think you want our private conversations to be made public considering i'm not the one with something to loose. plus i'm just not as big of an a-hole as i come across when i'm fishing for a response. i don't like or want to be that guy so i'll stop being one now, i promise enjoy.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Just want to add my 2 cents on this. I have had multiple sleds with Better Boards now, and they perform night and day better than any stock board to date. I personally find it surprising that none of the manufacturers have made a deal with BB and made them a stock board or factory option. That said, this year I am running a set of Airframes on my Pro. There are a couple of reasons for doing this. First, a few years ago, I built a set of boards on my Rev, that turned out similar to the Airframes. They were excellent, but a serious pain to build. Between time bending Aluminum and running the cleats through the mill, and welding everything, there is no way I could build a set for the cost of a pair of the Airframes. (obviously, building a one off set is much less cost effective than making a production run of a product that has been jigged up). I really wanted to see if the airframes were as good as the set I built. Second, they look cool, and I had already bent the stock boards badly from jumping, when I decided that although they are better at evacuating snow, they are still not as good as the BB's (the stockers). Unfortunately, they were not straight enough to put BB's on at that point. Anyhow, I have been happy with the Airframes so far, but they are eating my boot soles a bit. The lack of snow build up and the traction is amazing. However, the install is time and labor intensive. My overall take is that if you want the ultimate in snow evacuation, and are willing to shell out the money and don't mind spending some time putting them on, the Airframes are a great way to go. If, you want very good snow clean out, and like the idea of minimal install time and cost, Better Boards are a much simpler and cheaper option. I guess to sum it up, they are both great products. SPG and Better Boards are both offering superb options. It is up to you to decide which route you want to go, but either way, it is a significantly better outcome than the stock boards!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Kestrel thank you for that insightful post! That is what i've been trying to convey. We have to look at things from all angles to make a marketable part and unfortunately the airframes are not it for all of the reasons you've stated plus a couple you will experience with some more time. There are a lot of plus and minus factors in regards to all parts and when we add and subtract these variables we still think the better overall product for the masses is the Snowmobile Better Board.

pv i'm not concerned with you what so ever. You aren't my first SW stocker! My concern is some poor unsuspecting lurker might read your comments and mistake it as knowledge or experience. (tee heeee heeee) Furthermore if you did bother me so much I could always take solace remembering that I get to ride sleds for a living. Check out this horror story. I had to work a three day last weekend in Alpine Wy and the conditions were just brutal. Free hotrod PRO with all the candy in 3 feet of dry fluff. WOOOO IS ME! Where is my double overtime for working holidays? Worse yet, they had to subject me to dancers at the Bull Moose after a hard day testing. "nobody knows....the trouble of ive seen".......bla bla bla:D:D BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Kestrel thank you for that insightful post! That is what i've been trying to convey. We have to look at things from all angles to make a marketable part and unfortunately the airframes are not it for all of the reasons you've stated plus a couple you will experience with some more time. There are a lot of plus and minus factors in regards to all parts and when we add and subtract these variables we still think the better overall product for the masses is the Snowmobile Better Board.

pv i'm not concerned with you what so ever. You aren't my first SW stocker! My concern is some poor unsuspecting lurker might read your comments and mistake it as knowledge or experience. (tee heeee heeee) Furthermore if you did bother me so much I could always take solace remembering that I get to ride sleds for a living. Check out this horror story. I had to work a three day last weekend in Alpine Wy and the conditions were just brutal. Free hotrod PRO with all the candy in 3 feet of dry fluff. WOOOO IS ME! Where is my double overtime for working holidays? Worse yet, they had to subject me to dancers at the Bull Moose after a hard day testing. "nobody knows....the trouble of ive seen".......bla bla bla:D:D BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP

and yet you continue to ALWAYS respond :) god, i love the internet! btw, you can say all of the same things about the Better Boards. you are right on one point, i never claimed to have any knowledge or experience... others can decide the worthiness of my comments on their own (hint: there isn't much) but damnit, you made me break my promise and made me a liar! i guess i'll just have to go cry in my cheerios b/c my life is so crappy and clearly not as cool or blessed as yours... i'll TRY to restrain myself now. assuming you don't provide me even more entertainment...

Premium Features