• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Boards on the Pro - REVIEW!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Ok, so I know this conversation has come up a lot lately. Do you need Better Boards on the Pro. When I got my Pro I was finally happy that Polaris made good running boards. Well, I've noticed all year that the buildup has been pretty bad. Especially in front where you kick in snow and on the back of the boards where you need grip while climbing. There has also been more buildup along the side of the tunnel that I expected.

So I tried one Better Board and made the comparison. I have no affiliation with Better Boards and I barely even know who Rob is (just met him at the Snow Show). The following pics were not taken to make the BB's look good and I just randomly stopped and took pics. This was during a day with about 6" fresh on top. I have to say, I think they evacuate the snow so much better than the stock boards. Even if there is snow, you just move your feet back and forth and it slides out (without wearing the bottoms of your boots out).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P2150076.jpg P2150078.jpg P2150077.jpg P2150079.jpg P2150080.jpg

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Thanks for the good unbiased review and I agree Better Boards would make a big difference. I definitely need some! And just to let ya know vinyl wrap on the side of the tunnel helps out a ton for the snow buildup on the sides of the tunnel. I had rode almost the whole year without my wrap on my tunnel and noticed a huge buildup on the sides and now with the wrap it takes almost no effort to get rid of the snow.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Ok, so I know this conversation has come up a lot lately. Do you need Better Boards on the Pro. When I got my Pro I was finally happy that Polaris made good running boards. Well, I've noticed all year that the buildup has been pretty bad. Especially in front where you kick in snow and on the back of the boards where you need grip while climbing. There has also been more buildup along the side of the tunnel that I expected.

So I tried one Better Board and made the comparison. I have no affiliation with Better Boards and I barely even know who Rob is (just met him at the Snow Show). The following pics were not taken to make the BB's look good and I just randomly stopped and took pics. This was during a day with about 6" fresh on top. I have to say, I think they evacuate the snow so much better than the stock boards. Even if there is snow, you just move your feet back and forth and it slides out (without wearing the bottoms of your boots out).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice report! did you wrap your tunnel yet?
Helps as Much as better Boards!
pm me
now you need these!
IMG_20110122_161453-1.jpg

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I do have a tunnel wrap but haven't put it on because it has been so cold in Colorado up until last week.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the BB cleats are now lower than they used to be. I didn't like the raised feel of the older style. The current boards feel similar to the stock boards. I was curious how riding both would feel and they felt similar. Just with less snow!

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I totally agree with this post. Put mine on a few rides ago, coated black ones. TO get rid of snow I don't even scrape my foot, I just push down, saving boot souls. But I would only buy the natural ones if you want to put a custom powder coat color on them. I've seen natural aluminum ones still have snow stick to them.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bug...Thanks for that awesome post/review...Rare these days to see someone go the extra mile

Big difference... Pix speak a 1000 words.

I agree with Mike on the stirrup area plastic... If you have other venting besides the stock ducting setup... the vents in the stirrips are a moot point...plastic will suffice... I think that they are going to offer those without the mesh as well.

IMO... In addition to the Better Boards (Coated is a big reason for snow not sticking in addition to the better design)... Vinyl tunnel sides from Arctic FX (with or without graphics)....These will keep the ice/snow from sticking to the tunnel sides.

Also.... IMO... Paint the running board supports with POR-15 Paint....Don't Pow coat them as this will change the heat treating from the aluminum unless you find a really good shop with good temperature/time control using low temperature powders... make sure to sandblast or really sand them well prior to coating

I've seen this annealing of alloy personally and it cost him a new set of supports. That alloy will over age quickly at anything above 385 degrees.

Last edited:

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
I agree with Mike on the stirrup area plastic... If you have other venting besides the stock ducting setup... the vents in the stirrips are a moot point...plastic will suffice... I think that they are going to offer those without the mesh as well.
I can Do Anything you want on the inside of these plates,Holes,no holes,or
screened.
:face-icon-small-hap

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007

funny thing is carl's swears that the foot stirrup is not an issue with snow ingestion. they say it is from the upper panel vent. put a screen on and the issue goes away. idk, not sure if i completely buy that yet? we'll see. i'm still putting on the cobe plate.

pv

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
PV... I'm not really worried about the snow injestion much either... though some people have been having problems with this (including Eric Vohk and Chris Burandt) where they are seeing clutch slipping.

For me... that area is a magnet and anchor for the ice to start forming and growing. The slots and gaps along with the porosity of the bare aluminum provide a catalyst for an iceburg to form there.

UHMW or HDPE in that area and cover up the gaps for the ice to mechaically attach... the snow and ice will slide off and keep the toe-box open and clean IMO.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
PV... I'm not really worried about the snow injestion much either... though some people have been having problems with this (including Eric Vohk and Chris Burandt) where they are seeing clutch slipping.

For me... that area is a magnet and anchor for the ice to start forming and growing. The slots and gaps along with the porosity of the bare aluminum provide a catalyst for an iceburg to form there.

UHMW or HDPE in that area and cover up the gaps for the ice to mechaically attach... the snow and ice will slide off and keep the toe-box open and clean IMO.
We ride Burandt Country as WELL, Gotta LOVE Colorado Powder :face-icon-small-hap
I did have some slippage,That was before adding better Boards!
For me... the whole tunnel area is a magnet and anchor for the ice to start forming and growing. The slots and gaps along with the porosity of the bare aluminum provide a catalyst for an iceburg to form there. I AGREE totaly !
With screen on the slots,it wont build up plus allows for some added ventilation. which seems to be the the biggest consern with under hood heat. I also made this set to go with the plates.
IMG_20110124_213216.jpg

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
funny thing is carl's swears that the foot stirrup is not an issue with snow ingestion. they say it is from the upper panel vent. put a screen on and the issue goes away. idk, not sure if i completely buy that yet? we'll see. i'm still putting on the cobe plate.

pv

PV,
I did put sceen over the top stock vents on both sides. WAS Not where the snow was was coming from !
it happens more from moving feet up into fooetwell, and pushing snow into sled ! IMO

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
PV,
I did put sceen over the top stock vents on both sides. WAS Not where the snow was was coming from !
it happens more from moving feet up into fooetwell, and pushing snow into sled ! IMO

Ya, I am not sure what to think of this one. I have the 2cool vents over the top stock slotted vents and never have problems with snow getting pushed in the footwell. It never builds up there either. Yes, I have been in all sort of snow conditions, its just never been a problem.
I do get some of the snow sticking to the sides of my tunnel. Going to try the vinyl wrap for that.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
PV,

yup, i know it was coming in from my foot well. stomped/kicked snow out of foot well, clutch slipped. definitely think hdpe over the aluminum would solve the majority of the problem by just helping with preventing the snow buildup. i'm putting on the airframe boards and an looking to do a wrap, maybe just on the tunnel, to also help with snow buildup. i'm thinking of doing an entire wrap but i want a custom one so i'll probably wait till summer and talk with artic fx when they aren't as busy. they have some great looking stuff. thanks.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
yup, i know it was coming in from my foot well. stomped/kicked snow out of foot well, clutch slipped. definitely think hdpe over the aluminum would solve the majority of the problem by just helping with preventing the snow buildup. i'm putting on the airframe boards and an looking to do a wrap, maybe just on the tunnel, to also help with snow buildup. i'm thinking of doing an entire wrap but i want a custom one so i'll probably wait till summer and talk with artic fx when they aren't as busy. they have some great looking stuff. thanks.

Let us know how the Air Frames work!! Those things look bad a$$ and I can't imagine anything clears snow as well as they do. I will be curious as to how they hold up and how they perform.
TX

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Seeing your pics of the better boards with snow and Ice still built up between the rail and better board and between the better board and tunnel is my real traction problem. I'd still have to kick the snow and Ice out from between the two, Id like to see some real world testing of the Skins Airframes.

C
Dec 23, 2008
And if you dont have a tunnel wrap you can go to your local sign shop/ sticker shop and ask for clear vynell and put that on there. you can even notice it and ten feet was like $10 easy to put on and helps out on snow build up on tunnel alot. i usually also rub on some WD-40 onver the top of that so when it freezez you can kick it off in big chucks very easily.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
Seeing your pics of the better boards with snow and Ice still built up between the rail and better board and between the better board and tunnel is my real traction problem. I'd still have to kick the snow and Ice out from between the two, Id like to see some real world testing of the Skins Airframes.

X2^^^^^^^

R
Dec 28, 2009
Lynnwood, Wa
my bestfriend/riding buddy swears by his betterboards and they do look like they work well, but I really want to try the skins airframes out, they look awesome. I like the looks of the footwell blockoffs too...I think I need some! I just did the knee vents so heat wont be an issue.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
my bestfriend/riding buddy swears by his betterboards and they do look like they work well, but I really want to try the skins airframes out, they look awesome. I like the looks of the footwell blockoffs too...I think I need some! I just did the knee vents so heat wont be an issue.

Would the airframes need a footwell block off or would that not even be a problem with them with how they are built????
It's hard to imagine any snow would get pushed in the footwell, rather than just fall out the bottom.

Premium Features