• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best snow in march??

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
hi, my friends and i would like to go on a trip somtime in march. we are looking for somwhere in south dakota, with the deepest snow in march because we all have mountain sleds and love to boondock!! :face-icon-small-hap they would also like to ski so somplace with skiing near by. sorry so many demands! but if anyone has any suggestions on where to go or where to stay id appreciate it! thank you

Well the hills are the only place for you to ride in South Dakota, and i would predict the best snow to be on March 16th at 4:39 A.M. You are just going to have to wait for that time to see what storms come through.

Pediction

Do not wait too long into March. Here is what happens most years in the Hills. Winter sets in fast and the snow usually reaches its peak about this time of year. Riding is usually great until shortly after President's Day the end of Feb. After that time it is like someone throws a switch and the weather warms up and the sun really beats down hard. The majority of years sledding in the Hills is pretty much over by about the 10th of March. Trail grooming ends the 15th. Most years trail grooming gets a little sporatic after the first of March because the general weather pattern changes so much. Sure you will get some snowstorms in March but you better be there when it happens. No grooming and it is 60+ degrees afterward. March snows are very wet in the Hills. Bottom line is this. After the 1st of March conditions deteriorate rapidly and after the 15th I would not count on good sledding in the Hills. You have about 3-4 weeks left out there and then you are pretty much done.

Last edited:
Do not wait too long into March. Here is what happens most years in the Hills. Winter sets in fast and the snow usually reaches its peak about this time of year. Riding is usually great until shortly after President's Day the end of Feb. After that time it is like someone throws a switch and the weather warms up and the sun really beats down hard. The majority of years sledding in the Hills is pretty much over by about the 10th of March. Trail grooming ends the 15th. Most years trail grooming gets a little sporatic after the first of March because the general weather pattern changes so much. Sure you will get some snowstorms in March but you better be there when it happens. No grooming and it is 60+ degrees afterward. March snows are very wet in the Hills. Bottom line is this. After the 1st of March conditions deteriorate rapidly and after the 15th I would not count on good sledding in the Hills. You have about 3-4 weeks left out there and then you are pretty much done.

Looking at the long term forecast I would say you better get there this weekend if you want some good snow! Calling for 50's next week in Deadwood, will be a little cooler up top but it does not look good at this point, but you never know, weather changes really fast in the Hills. Either way, I am headed up tonight, even though my wife wants to kill me!

Later

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back