• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best areas for sled access skiing?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Hey guys, I convinced a couple of friends to get sleds under the guise of using them to access skiable areas. Truth be told I haven't really rode that many areas that seemed to be set up for good ski/snowboarding. I've primarily rode the grand mesa and flat tops. Mesa not great at all (lacking steep long runs) and flat tops have the steep, but didn't come across that many spots that had longer "runs" if you will. I've heard riding around jones/corona might be more the ticket? Probably similar potential around red mountain when the southern part of the state gets proper snow too I'm thinking? I've seen a few people doing that when I was driving over to Durango last winter.

Any advice appreciated thanks!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks for the response! I'm guessing decent options probably aren't too far from the lot either? Is riding up there generally pretty crowded or pretty open once you leave the lot?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yep. All snomoboarding/snowmoskiing should be done at Vail Pass and ONLY at Vail pass :)

T
Dec 13, 2020
Hey Polaris dude, just got into sled access skiing. I live in Denver and went scouting up at Vail Pass last week. Still needs a lot more snow, but hoping to get back up there again to scout where I can tow my buddies and son for ski laps. I ran into a really cool guy that works for the forest service and said to look for areas on the “map” labeled hybrid. This means sled up, ski down areas that are really good. The maps can be found online or at the parking lot. (You may already know this). I went pretty far back on the trails and the farther I went, the better ski terrain I saw. Anyways, if you ever want to go out, I would love some guys to sled/ski with. I’m going to try to get up there most Saturdays starting in January. Let me know if you ever want to sync up. I’ve also heard that Montezuma pass over by Keystone is great for this as well.

Premium Features