• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Break-in

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
What do you guys do to properly break-in your drive belts? Wash them? Wire brush them? Heat Cycle?

Tips, Techniques and hints?

TIA

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
I wash them with hot soapy water, scrub them with a wire/hard bristle brush, then take it easy on them for 30 or so miles. I once had an old Arctic Cat Tech tell me that the only way to break in a belt is to turn it inside out and take it to a wire wheel on a bench grinder and lightly brush it until you see the white start to show through. I have never tried this, I have always wanted to but have been too scared of ruining a $150+ belt!! Anybody else heard of this or tried it??

Reactions: milehighassassin

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Mine goes right into the dishwasher(those with significant others best be sneeky about it)....I clean both belt and clutches in the dishwasher a couple times a season...I use cascade powder dish detergent and cycle thru on heavy duty pots/pans with heated dry..has always worked good and has significantly increased both belt and clutch life......I will also take a fine scotchbrite pad to all the sheave surfaces if they look at all glazed(normally not a problem if your cleaning belt/clutches in a timely fashion)....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Usually nothing. Sometimes if there is alot of obvious "parting agent" still on the belt from the mfg process I will use hot water and scotchbrite to scuff it off a bit. I don't break them in either, just take it easy for 5 minutes until the belt is up to temp and hammer down! Same belt all season on all our sleds.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yep.. im rocking yami belt clutches.... even with the clutches visually out of alignment, they still last just as long as they did on my na 1000 doo with a tra vs my rx1 on boost.

I try to take it easy for a moment to let the belt warm up, flex a little, get stretched out, then BOOST.

Premium Features