• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclaw bob in Cooke city 3

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
For you guys that can't get on my reports, I've started a new thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SNOWMAN CONDITONS: Yesterday’s storm dropped in our area 2-4 inches. Unsettled weather will continue to bring snow, but the real change is the wind. Relatively calm winds yesterday are no longer. Westerly winds are currently averaging 20-30 mph with gusts hitting 45 mph. These will continue today before tapering tonight. Mountain temperatures are near 10F this morning and will warm into the low 20s. By early tomorrow I expect an additional 3-6 inches.
I went out in the morning, it was a total white out, but with in an hour, the sun started to peek thru and helped. I went out to retrieved a sled and found about a foot of new snow over by wolverine. I did have a good time and it took about 4 hours to get the sled back into town.
Since 7:30am we have picked up about 3 inches of nice fluffy powder.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Two to four inches fell around Cooke City. Its distribution is spotty which means you have to carefully evaluate the snowpack; there are no shortcuts, and in Mark’s words, “It’s no joke.” Increased wind speeds are loading slopes which will likely fracture and avalanche today, especially with a skier or snowmobiler trigger. Any wind-loaded slope has a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger while those untouched by the wind are rated MODERATE.

The bakery has gotten a few reservations, but we still have opening for the Prime Rib dinner. Don't miss out. This will be for Presidents weekend.:cheer2:

I'm still waiting for Avy Packs, it seems like every one is on back order. :face-icon-small-sad
If your headed our way, have a safe drive in. We'll see you this weekend.

BOB ??

BOB - I have a group of us staying at super 8 feb 5-10. Wondering the availability of renting avy bags while were there? Let me know if you have plenty or if we should reserve (3) of them. Also, were suppose to mention the snowest member discount when we get there. Can you tell me what that it? Thanks and see you soon

The snowest discount is for the rooms i believe if you mention that you had seen the special on snowest you will get a discount price on your rooms. atleast that is the way it worked for me

Bob..just parked our sleds in your heated garage....appreciate it. Lots of pow and everything seems to be iced up. Sure is fun out there tho. Powder was pretty deep in alot of placed we found out there today.:D

What accumulations of the storm? See 6in in town hoping for atleast double higher up?

We found 2 to 3 feet easily almost everywhere we went on the hill today...snow is great. Have places we stepped off the sled today and was up to our armpits deep.:D

In the trees and where the wind hadn't blown the snow was waist deep.

SNOW AND MORE SNOW

If you guys want to take advantage of the Sno West discount at the Motel, you MUST tell them as your booking, the front desk will not take it at time of check in.

SNOWMAN REPORT:

Yesterday an additional 8 inches of dense snow fell in Cooke City..This morning temperatures were in the high teens and low 20s F with winds blowing 10-15 mph from the west and gusting 20-30 mph. Today temperatures may drop a few degrees and winds will ease just a little shifting to the WNW. Snowfall will end around midday with 1-3 inches accumulating in most areas. By late afternoon a few rays of sunshine may break through the clouds making way for more sunshine this weekend.
:cheer2:

AVALANCHE CONDTIONS: During the last three days, 2.0 feet of snow fell near Cooke City although we received reports of 2+ feet of new snow in some areas. With strong winds blowing during the last 2 days and temperatures rising and falling during the storms, there are several different layers in the new snow. Avalanches will easily break on one of these layers. At lower elevations in places like “Town Hill”, the snowpack was thin and weak prior to these storms. Avalanches could break deeper in the snowpack and be triggered remotely in these areas. For today with more snow falling, human triggered avalanches are likely and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE.

Just to let everyone know, that I've stopped the snow dance for a few days to let the snow settle.

Terri has room for 19 more for the PRIME RIB dinner. Make sure you give her a call to save a place for you.

Just got another shipment of helmets in, stop in and check out some of the new ones.

Maybe SUN

SNOWMAN REPORT: For the first time in nearly a week there is no new snow to report. Today will be a near ground hog day to yesterday with plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures. This morning, temps are in the high teens to mid-twenties F and winds are averaging 5-15 mph out of the WSW with gusts reaching close to 30 mph. Today, highs will climb into the 30s F under clear skies and winds will remain out of the WSW blowing 5-20 mph. No new snow is expected over the next 24 hours. You can still find lots of powder.:sun:

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday, the snowpack received a well-deserved breather. After impressive storm totals 1-3 feet, the pack nearly doubled in many areas. This put a tremendous amount of stress on the snowpack. With little surprise, both natural and human triggered avalanches have been reported throughout our advisory area.

Today, dangerous avalanche conditions exist on wind loaded slopes and slopes steeper than 35 degrees which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. All other slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

The Snow Pulse company called me and they found another AVY pack in stock. If any one is interested in it, let me know.

The Super 8 is still running the offer for two people for two days. When your making a reservation, make sure you tell them you say it on Sno West.

Thanks Bob. Wandering how the powder is holding up and if it's not too tracked up yet to drive 12 hours for this weekend ride. Any information is greatly appreciated.:face-icon-small-ton

12 hours from Bismarck? Doesn't take me near that. Hope they get some snow, I actually cancelled on my trip for this weekend though cause of snow.

Tracked UP ????

Well guys, all I can say that I did find some untouched snow today. It is getting tracked up, but the snowman is calling for snow this weekend. The top of the world is great, lots of untouched snow there.

SNOWMAN REPORT: Under clear skies this morning, mountain temperatures were in the mid-teens F and SW winds were blowing 10-15 mph gusting to 25 mph. Today an upper level ridge will move east and some clouds will move over the area. Temperatures should climb only a few degrees to near 20 F and winds will continue the same. Some snow will come Friday followed by cold temperatures on Sunday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: For today avalanche conditions remained heightened on specific terrain making human triggered avalanches possible and the avalanche danger is rated overall MODERATE.

The bakery still has openings left for PRIME RIB. Call and make a reservation with Terri. This will be for Presidents weekend, Saturday the 16th.:cheer2:

I'm renting AVY packs along with everything else you'll need for Avalanches.

If your needing a sled to rent, CALL.

I'm getting nervous watching the snotel and weather man for when we come on Friday. That along with the snowhawk convention I'm worried this will trip will be a bust.

Reactions: 801
My understanding is that everything is covered up, but there hasn't been much new fresh snow in the last week. Is this true?

I just got back to nd from cooke today we stopped in at bearclaw bobs for brakfast before we left it is the best in town the french toast is the best I have ever had. We found lots of good riding everything is covered up.

Premium Features

Back