• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bachelor --- Where to ride?

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
We are taking the sleds over to bend this weekend, What is a good snow park over there to ride from? I think we are staying in or close to sunriver. The less trails the better... Wide open, powder, hills, trees all good, just no trails.

did i mention that i am not a big fan of trail riding.... My xp just does not like it.

thanks.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Dont bother heading up to Dutchman unless you have a two place trailer, and get there early. Cross country skiiers are taking over the parking area, and there is a length restriction in effect for longer trailers. The parking area is just too small. If your staying in SunRiver, you will be able to start much lower, as pinpoint weather is calling for up to 42 inches of new snow by tomorrow night, and there is already good snow down low. In fact riding out of sunriver itself to mt. Bachelor was awesome a week ago. Only lasted one day though.

There are so many great off trail area's to ride at Bachelor that its hard to point you in a single direction. Personally I prefer the Paulina Peak area unless you know how to get to Moon mountain without hitting any trails.:D

Paulina should be great this weekend. 6 mile is okay if you can't make it to 10 mile but requires more trail riding. Get there early enough and with the expected dump it may be a blast just going from 6 to 10.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i prefer the original snowmobile snowpark(dutchmans)early and make skiers park elsewhere.or u can park at wanoga and ride around all day without trails.maps r in the shelter.boondock slow because of the stumps.

Last edited:

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
So where are all these snow parks? We are actually staying in three rivers, so how would we ride from there? Where could i find a map of the area?

C
Dec 3, 2007
Yep, it's amazing what you can find when you actually look at google maps.

Thanks all, looks like Edison -- Kwolh Butte, Moon Mountian, Tumalo etc.

Just a link for those that want a map on-line

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/winter/wintermaps.shtml

If you want a good ride, try pulling the east face of Kwolh Butte :D Otherwise, make the ride up to moon mtn by way of Three Creeks trail (trail 6 at the 152 junction). Along the way there are plenty of meadows and hills to challenge your powder skills. We should be getting dumped on today big! Avoid Dutchman at all costs.

If you get a chance go up to Paulina and ask how to get to the roller coaster. It is worth the time to ride. Make it to the Hell Hole and have a blast. A couple of guys went to cut up the Hole today. Hopefully they sluffed the face. There is also a monster hill climb that is somewhat hard to find if you've never been. Also worth the effort. Frankly, Bachelor has become a zoo especially this time of year.

Ride safe and watch out for the rookies and rentals. Make sure your registration is up to date as the Sheriff and Forest Circus are out in force.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
east face of kwall.LOL:)it might be a challange to just get off the trail up there.

Last edited:
Premium Features