• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

axys track wear polaris denied

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Clipping this track will extend the life by 500 miles. It is not solely the tracks fault either as even the 2.4 track will get the same wear pattern on the axys. Check out the wear on my rails...
ab91f9ac512ebf8604f0fad1db8446ac.jpg

Last year Polaris said my track was too loose. This year it was too tight. Will be clipping again this year and running a normal tension not the rediculous tension in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again with the mileage statement. Everyone rides differently and in different snow right? Bottom line. You just can't expect to use the so called bumper to bumper warranty that Polaris sales so many. Good job to the one guy that took pictures and documented everything to finally get Polaris to buck up!

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
why would polairs not clip it on the lug and not on the empty bar. the lug is were the pressure is.

Because that would be the logical way, and we would have no track issues lol.
Never had these issues with my past few Pro's and Dragons I've owned, but the Axy's rails bring on this situation a lot faster. I never tightened my track for the first 600 miles (being lazy), and mine looked like the OP's as well.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Tight track, loose track, it doesn't matter. What matters is how much snow you ride in. Burn it down the trail without your scratchers down and your toast.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Tight track, loose track, it doesn't matter. What matters is how much snow you ride in. Burn it down the trail without your scratchers down and your toast.
Agreed, but SOME amount of this wear happens even with the most diligent scratcher users....I will attest to that

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Same here.
Scratchers down on all trails, and all miles have been mountain miles in BC.
Groomed trails come at a bigger price now lol, or ride behind your buddy in his snow dust.....fuuuuuun :D

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Somebody entertain me and put on hyfax that stick out past the rail at least an inch. Or has anyone used standard length rails with these tracks? If so, my guess is that you won't see the issue? Am I right?

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Clip It

This is just one of the reasons why I sold the 2016 Axys I had. But, I would clip all the track windows like others have said. The extra wheels might help too, but add even more weight and cause extra side load on the rails. FYI, you can run wheels in between the rails in the position behind the scratchers if you don't have clicker shocks. This way, they don't interfere with the scratchers at all. I ran this setup for a while.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I took my 2.6 off at delivery !!

Replaced with a Comp Track and rode it 1000 plus miles with zero wear issues !!!!! At 80+ MPH all day long

Put stock 2.6 back on and rode another 350 miles with zero wear issues !!!!!!

Never adjusted the tracks and have not even looked at the windows!!!?

The big difference ????¿ I got rid of the ridiculous 7 tooth drivers !! There is no way that small of a wheel is going to turn this much weight without a ton of stress in the contact area !!! The only way it doesn't ratchet is to over tighten it !!! The problem with it so tight is like a dirt bike chain , when the suspension collapses it gets longer and causes it to be even tighter !!

At least that's how I see it , and I've had no wear issues with low snow , no snow and deep snow

It would be like putting Low Profile slicks on a Top Fuel car !! It's to much for that little guy to drag along !! The driver needs to be a 8 tooth , I couldn't believe they use it on all models !!

My answer Clip track and run 8 tooth drivers !! If you want a 3+" track do the correct modifications not just a cheesy smaller driver to get in the game ( which has been notoriously proven that the 2.6-2.8 performs better in all but the deepest snow )

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The 7 tooth drivers don't contact the track where it's wearing. By adding 8 tooth drivers, you shortened the distance between the end of the rail and the idler wheels significantly. So, it still backs up my hypothesis. If I had an Axys, I'd research it further, but the new sled isn't coming 'till next year.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Both '16s and '17 we have show significant wear. We ride very minimal trail miles and the last two years extremely good snow conditions all year. It's an obvious design flaw Polaris should stand behind and remedy themselves. Not the end of the world but a poor way to treat customers....and retain them.

F
Jan 3, 2008
Maybe Polaris engineers are slow, or it's politics, but seems logical that if you cut back the rail and create a gap between it and the rear idler wheels, you're gonna get track wear. Especially with unclipped lugs. I would think the lug folds and make a bump on the back side, which will scrape off the end of the rail.

Curious to know if anyone has tried, or will try, a longer rail or rail extension? Maybe even just leave the hyfax long, dangling off the back of the rail a couple of inches?
Putting new hyfax on a 2018 Axys. Thinking of cutting it longer so it hangs off the rail 3/4 inch to fight this wear. Anyone try this? It will have a 45 degree chamfer up for a lead in so in reverse it shouldn't catch.

Premium Features