• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys oil pump prime/power up

B
Dec 23, 2023
Nh
When you initiate the priming procedure for the oil pump on the 850 it displays it on the dash, Oil Priming Initiated or something like that, and you will hear the pump running.

B
Dec 23, 2023
Nh
I just made a harness to power up through the chassis harness plug, because you need a way to tell the ecm to run the pump without the engine actually running.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
When you initiate the priming procedure for the oil pump on the 850 it displays it on the dash, Oil Priming Initiated or something like that, and you will hear the pump running.
Is it possible to use the manual prime procedure (lock brake, hold reverse, hold throttle) on the 850? I have the 2020 850 service manual and this manual procedure seems to have been omitted from the pump prime procedure section.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
Is it possible to use the manual prime procedure (lock brake, hold reverse, hold throttle) on the 850? I have the 2020 850 service manual and this manual procedure seems to have been omitted from the pump prime procedure section.
Update for future reference:

You can't do the manual process (hold brake, reverse, throttle) on the 850 (at least it doesn't work on my 2019). As Polaris also omitted this section of the service manual, unfortunately, I assume they have deleted this feature entirely.

I also tried to prime with EzLynk, but it doesn't look like it supports this user feature. The EzLynk power up harness doesn't power the pumps either, it only powers the ECU. It seems like Digital Wrench with a DIY power-up harness or a Polaris harness is the only real way to do this...

What worked for me to prime the oil pump was to manually pulse 12 VDC to it from an automotive battery. I simply ran wire from the oil pump power connector (blue and brown wires on the connector behind the coolant reservoir on a 2019) to a battery and tapped one of the wires repeatedly to one of the terminals. This worked very well to prime the pump. You can hear the pump pulse with each wire tap and you can watch the oil deplete from the feed line (I had the oil reservoir removed). Unfortunately, this does not confirm that the ECU is capable of controlling the oil pump so I recommend anyone using this method to carefully watch that the oil feed line is depleting (with the oil reservoir disconnected) on first engine start. It might also be a good idea to premix for first start.

Premium Features