• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO Chaincase chain and tensioner wear after two years

Do i have to change sprockets to just to flip chain guide? (Running out of time before trip and still would like to do something...)

Flipping the guide requires a little slack in the chain to get it in place. Faster than I like to drink a beer[emoji482]

TheARO primary chain slider setup is a total afterthought go to a 15 front sprocket and 18 on the secondary shaft flip the slider upside down and cut the whole back section beyond the frame cross tube off .
Grind the slider to a low profile and call it a day — the chain will barely touch sliders and just clear the track. Without the revers flex you take out 50% of the chainwear and free up preciouse hp —on top of it it will bring your kit right up tight to the bike for best weight transfer. This works on Yamaha not sure about other brands , but would guess it is the same. If the chain is to tight drop the rear of the bike a bit till it fits.

Whats the reasoning for changing the sprockets? (Will the Chain not clear the track w/o?)

Reviving this because I'm in the process of installing a holdover 2018 ARO kit. Why doesn't anyone mention running 14/18 to 17/18? Seems like it should work good with just the chain slider flipped to protect the cross shaft.

I am curious as well Bigair. Looking at powedermunchers pic, same bike and basically the same kit (120 vs 137) his looks like a way more efficient chain set up.
cf9f7db4e40967463f852505da12a401.jpg

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Reviving this because I'm in the process of installing a holdover 2018 ARO kit. Why doesn't anyone mention running 14/18 to 17/18? Seems like it should work good with just the chain slider flipped to protect the cross shaft.
I have yet to pick up my 18 holdover. I ordered a 16 and an 18 for the kit and will order both 15 and 14 countershaft sprockets. I'm hoping I can make this work with a 14/18 primary and I'll try the 16/18 secondary and 17/18 to see what one I like better. with the old kits I always felt the kit it's self needed to be geared down. Trial and error will get me to where I want to be I hope!

I have yet to pick up my 18 holdover. I ordered a 16 and an 18 for the kit and will order both 15 and 14 countershaft sprockets. I'm hoping I can make this work with a 14/18 primary and I'll try the 16/18 secondary and 17/18 to see what one I like better. with the old kits I always felt the kit it's self needed to be geared down. Trial and error will get me to where I want to be I hope!
Just reviving this again to see what you ended up settling on? Considering making changes to my 19 aro.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Im interested as well. Im running solid strut on a 19 aro le, worried the chain will be too tight w 15-18 sprockets -1 link and too loose to hit the track w stock length chain. Kits on a Husky FE

I ran a 14/18 to 17/18 with adjuster flipped over and ground thinner upon this years install on 2005 KTM RFS. The main chain adjuster was about a third back from the front of the slot. I just put a 15t countershaft sprocket on last night and it moved that adjuster to the complete front of the slot. Wahoo!

Premium Features

Back