• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody with Split Second's 885 in XP chassis?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Can you answer some questions?:confused::confused::confused: First of all; Do you have to run Race Gas? Do they work better with twins or a single pipe? How much $$$$?

Thanks in advance.

I run a Trygstad 880 with pump gas and single aaen pipe,Y pipe and airbox mod.This thing flat cooks,The main jets are 600 with .020 on the needle and 15 pilots.Took awhile to get enough fuel to the motor, I am running this sled with turbos.impressive motor as it has a race crank as well

Last edited:
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Can you answer some questions?:confused::confused::confused: First of all; Do you have to run Race Gas? Do they work better with twins or a single pipe? How much $$$$?

Thanks in advance.

Joel (portgrinder) is running Ralphy's 860 in his 06. He says Chevron's 94 high test works well, otherwise he puts a little race gas in for peace of mind.
He also said the stock pipe works well for the app. A gain of perhaps 2 hp. with an aftermarket one is what was found. Hardly worth it... I am unsure of the price, I believe it is under 3000$.

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
Mohawk Fuel?

Are you sure that Mohawk fuel is being used. It is an oxygenated fuel that should not be used in a mod engine. There have been 2-885's blown because the Mohawk crap was put in. Someone did Fred a favor and filled his sled up in the morning with Mohawk 94 2 weeks ago. He made it 2 miles before his engine squeaked. Fred was unaware that Mohawk fuel was used until he tried to figure out how it blew. That fuel burns hot. I burn premium Shell Fuel with 2 gallons of C-12 per tank for a safety factor. Fredw puts in one gallon of C-12 per tank. Even with the gallon of C-12 combined with the Mohawk Fuel his engine blew. Baker and Sheriff runs 50/50 with Shell Premium and Av gas. These engines will run on premium but the safety factor of race fuel is cheap insurance.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Are you sure that Mohawk fuel is being used. It is an oxygenated fuel that should not be used in a mod engine. There have been 2-885's blown because the Mohawk crap was put in. Someone did Fred a favor and filled his sled up in the morning with Mohawk 94 2 weeks ago. He made it 2 miles before his engine squeaked. Fred was unaware that Mohawk fuel was used until he tried to figure out how it blew. That fuel burns hot. I burn premium Shell Fuel with 2 gallons of C-12 per tank for a safety factor. Fredw puts in one gallon of C-12 per tank. Even with the gallon of C-12 combined with the Mohawk Fuel his engine blew. Baker and Sheriff runs 50/50 with Shell Premium and Av gas. These engines will run on premium but the safety factor of race fuel is cheap insurance.

I am unsure where you got Mohawk from this thread...:confused:

I don't believe Chevron has ethanol blended fuels..

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
I did mean Chevron

Sorry, I did mean Chevron. Both Sheriff and Baker warned me off of using it. Something about whatever Techron is.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
I've heard this Chevron thing before, but every weekend about 500 sleds fill at the one in revy so i'm not to sure. I fill there everytime i'm near revy.

As for the BB i ride with a guy who has one in an XP and it rocks, sled was set up by Baker.
I think low $2000's for the kit.

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
I've heard this Chevron thing before, but every weekend about 500 sleds fill at the one in revy so i'm not to sure. I fill there everytime i'm near revy.

As for the BB i ride with a guy who has one in an XP and it rocks, sled was set up by Baker.
I think low $2000's for the kit.

You sure it is Ralphs kit? If this is Danaluk's sled you are talking about, ask him about Chevron fuel. Oxygenated fuel & high compression 2 strokes ????

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Cuso, He's right Chevron is Ethanol Fuel!!! We stopped using it last trip. Those bastards don't even tell you!!!!. I asked the clerk and she wasn't sure so the manager came out and told me yup it's 10% ethanol blend....

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Cuso, He's right Chevron is Ethanol Fuel!!! We stopped using it last trip. Those bastards don't even tell you!!!!. I asked the clerk and she wasn't sure so the manager came out and told me yup it's 10% ethanol blend....

Hate to say I told you so!!!

Do some research on fuels & you will find out, many guys should have stopped using it before their last trip.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
You sure it is Ralphs kit? If this is Danaluk's sled you are talking about, ask him about Chevron fuel. Oxygenated fuel & high compression 2 strokes ????

Ya its Ralf's kit no not Danaluks.
Well good to know the Chevron is like that cause they were chargin $1.42/L yesterday shells premium was 10cents less across the street.
Its only a matter of time before they are all ethonal/oxygenated so then what do we do?
FYI i am running high comp and advanced MPEM from the race department for tha last few rides, so far so good but don't like pistons anymore than the next guy so i'll try some shell fuel.

Revdawg

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I've been running Chevron 94 in both of our 860's built by ralphy for 3 seasons. No problems. Seems to work good. E10 should not be that big of a deal.

When we played around with E85 in University, I think it we needed to increase fuel by 1/3 or so due to the oxygen. Plus we smelled like tequila all the time. Anyhoo doing some quick math, that puts you at ~95% the fuel with E10 vs regular.

When I don't have 94 I usually throw in 20L or so of VP111 in mine for some insurance.

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Ya its Ralf's kit no not Danaluks.
Well good to know the Chevron is like that cause they were chargin $1.42/L yesterday shells premium was 10cents less across the street.
Its only a matter of time before they are all ethonal/oxygenated so then what do we do?
FYI i am running high comp and advanced MPEM from the race department for tha last few rides, so far so good but don't like pistons anymore than the next guy so i'll try some shell fuel.

Revdawg
Rather misleading octane advertising. The problem occurs when oil is added (in the 2 stroke) you end up adding more oxygen then the already highy oxygenated fuel creating the lean burn down. Shell refines a truly Premium fuel that is highly recommended for 2 strokes.
As for all companies using ethanol based fuels, each province will have their particular legislation mandating compliance, It will occur in BC long before Alberta....Revdawg i recommend throwing some 100 LL in with your premium if you are running some high compression. What are you at 13 to 1, 145 lbs? Better to be on the safe side. I run 50% in my XP. Just because.

Sheriff

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Rather misleading octane advertising. The problem occurs when oil is added (in the 2 stroke) you end up adding more oxygen then the already highy oxygenated fuel creating the lean burn down. Shell refines a truly Premium fuel that is highly recommended for 2 strokes.
As for all companies using ethanol based fuels, each province will have their particular legislation mandating compliance, It will occur in BC long before Alberta....Revdawg i recommend throwing some 100 LL in with your premium if you are running some high compression. What are you at 13 to 1, 145 lbs? Better to be on the safe side. I run 50% in my XP. Just because.

Sheriff

Hmm interesting, i do premix so that might help a bit (40:1). I'm running 13:1 and usually 150-160psi on comp test.
I was running a a gallon or two of AV last year but so far this year the only thing i have burned is Chevron 94 (abou 30 tanks on it). I had some bad luck with shell here in alberata with high water content. ( had a Jerry can full with alot of ice in it.) Could be an isolated incident to that station though.

good info guys,

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
Hmm interesting, i do premix so that might help a bit (40:1). I'm running 13:1 and usually 150-160psi on comp test.
I was running a a gallon or two of AV last year but so far this year the only thing i have burned is Chevron 94 (abou 30 tanks on it). I had some bad luck with shell here in alberata with high water content. ( had a Jerry can full with alot of ice in it.) Could be an isolated incident to that station though.

good info guys,

If you are running 150-160comp. I think you have been quite fortunate, that being said I would bet your on some borrowed time with your fuel. Go to the Red Deer airport & buy som 100 LL. If they wont sell to you just bring your cans to Olds & I have it in bulk here...As far as water in your fuel, if you buy from a reputable company there should "Never" be any water in your fuel...I have some water finding paste here if you ever need to test your fuel. kinda handy, I keep it in my trailer always, simple & easy to use. even trace amounts show up.

Premium Features