• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody ever import cars to USA!

Looking to do some importing from Germany on some Audi A2's with the 1.4 TDI on them. Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and how difficult the process would be?

My uncle work customs on the US/Canadian border and said that if the car was manufactured in Ca. US. or Mexico, its okay because of the North American free trade agreement and no import terrif is impossed. Forien cars are heavily taxed (like 25% of book value) if they do not have at least 6000 miles on them or have paperwork showing that they are lease returns. I'm not sure if this is the same for overseas, but most likely.

Remove the drivetrain, import the body and drivetrain seperately. Something to do with European manufactured cars not meeting NA emission standards. Don't know why this is, thought they were even stricter on the other side of the pond when it came to modern car emissions. A friends wife who he met while over there tried for several years to get her Audi over here, that is how she finally got it here. Buy an American car and put those thousands you will spend importing it into upgrading it to run/handle like the Audi.

Alot of personal auto insurance companies don't like to insure European built vehicles. When I was stationed over there I almost bought a bmw and brought it back until I found out it would need a conversion. At that time the headlights/windshield and emissions and odometer had to be converted. Not sure what they do now. But even then I knew guys had problems once they got them back to the states. Insurance companies enter the VIN# and it pulls up what the call Grey Market Vehicle. And they won't touch it.

Premium Features

Back