• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Ride Review (w/ video)!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I got out today and was very happy for a few reasons. Sled is an 800 155" 2.6" track. First of all the snow was great in Colorado. Up top we had around three feet of fresh. It really allowed us to dig in and carve in the areas where we typically know the terrain is safe for early riding.

Coming off of two Pro's (2011/2013) I gotta say the Axys is really different in my mind. Right out of the parking area it is much easier to get on it's side and more balanced when it is there. It feels like a narrower front end. But it feels great carving, good balance without fighting. See the video below, at the end I almost hit my buddy because I expected the sled to just upright itself and it stays balanced. My bars are the low ones and they are perfect.

YouTube Link

The motor had so much oil in it (40:1 per Polaris) that it was a little boggy and definitely smokey. I might need a new set of plugs after the first tank. But the motor pulls well. I rode my buddies sled with 4 more rides and the SLP pipe/can setup and it pulls hard! They get up quick. I really don't think it will disappoint!

My only concern is the track. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. Stiff but didn't feel like it hooked up like a stiff track. Kinda felt like the 5.1. Brakes seemed strange to me too, but I haven't ridden since last May so maybe that is it. Sled is really wobbly on the trail, but that is testament to how well it does in the carving department.

attachment.php

IMG_3281.JPG

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
I think it will be a worse trail sled than the Pro was...LOL Maybe I was just out of practice too but, sitting down had me starting to tip over and fall off!

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I noticed you also have the WE clicker shocks. I found that if I adjusted the clicker shocks in the hard/firm direction I was able to make the sled more predictable on the trail.

Six clicks seemed to do the trick for me, but for full disclosure I didn't try any other trail setups on my short ride.

I love that with a simple adjustment of the clicker you can change feel of the sled significantly!

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrettiDog

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not too worried about handling better on the trail if it does great off. But I hear you...I figured I would ride a few rides and start dialing in the suspension.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Oh boy, we always have to take some trails to get to the good stuff. I'm not worried though. The sled sounds amazing. I still have my Pro for those trail ride days.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I bought the $400 upgrade for the clicker shocks. Dont like them just like all other walkers ive ridden. First couple inches of travel is soft, then it's like it hits a brick wall even with a couple inches left of travel. Even with 0 clicks on the resy. Front ski shocks felt much worse than the rear. Makes it not pull a ski up off the ground with as much control as a properly valved set of shocks. I'm putting burandt fox QS3 shocks on. Ive had Toms revalved evol r's on my past two sleds. Very impressed with how they felt. Had Raptors on my 12 rmk, but the new fox valving and tech is so good now that I dont want to go with coil shocks.

Reactions: Dam Dave

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had Exit X1's on my last Pro. Best I've ever ridden. I might try the Fox setup on this sled, but cost is a factor this year. I'll ride these shocks a little more, they were fine for the minimal conditions we were in.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
So if a guy from Northern Utah was desperate to ride his new Axys and willing to drive to Colorado to do it anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to ride in your favorite secret spot, just need my fix till the snow flies here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Dec 24, 2014
So if a guy from Northern Utah was desperate to ride his new Axys and willing to drive to Colorado to do it anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to ride in your favorite secret spot, just need my fix till the snow flies here.

As you know, the snow is too thin everywhere. If Grand Mesa is close enough for you I know you can ride up there. We just had another storm come through last night. Still snowing here this morning.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I'd ride anytime I can, but not sure a drive from Utah is worth what you would get. We got another 10-12" last night but a couple weeks from now could really lead to some great riding. Just not much of a base right now. I gotta say, I was nervous as all hell every time I made a turn out.

Grand Mesa is some great riding and isn't far from Grand Junction. If you come a little further east, there is endless riding on the Flattops.

Reactions: keithw
Premium Features