• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska Living

M
Jan 24, 2008
Hey guys/girls. Was wondering what you guys do for work up in alaska. Was thinking about moving up there in 2 years or so. Wondering what the life up there was like. Best areas to live/ride, and what not.

Thanks - Mitch

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Mitch,
More info about you please. What do you do already? Or, what do you want to do.

There are two Alaskas. One has roads connected to the rest of the world and the other, known as "the Bush", does not.

Assuming you plan on living some where on the road system...Alaska is like any other place...Grocery stores, subdivisions, gas stations and elementary schools etc. etc. All the usual things you'd expect in an average American town or city.

The major industries are Oil/Gas, Fishing, Tourism, Mining.

If you have a skilled trade you'll find good paying work fairly easily.
Construction is a good gig for a sledder--work your a$$ off all summer--load up on overtime, get laid off--play all winter.

If you want to work all year then the North Slope (Prudhoe Bay oil fields) is the place for you.

As far as where to live/ride. Good riding areas all over the state but for living close to the riding and the jobs, Wasilla/Palmer is the happiest medium. If you live in Anchorage you have to drive 1 to 6 hours to ride.

Last edited:
M
Jan 24, 2008
Im curently in school for x ray tech (radiology). And would like to move up there in a year or two once im done. Do you guys have camps and what not to ride and stay for the weekend. Or just do alot of day trips?

Thanks - Mitch

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
some of the best riding (placer) is only 45min away from anchorage.. its the epicenter of sicc, low elevation riding. its nice living up here once you get past the local gangs of 15 yr olds that still think they live in CA.. its pretty sweet in the winter basically

B
Nov 26, 2007
yeah. parking is sweet. I wana ride Squirell flats this year. Herd its okay. I need someone to show me it tho. I think its to the left of the tracks right?

Ive been back there solo on a 2-3ft fresh day and thought about pulling it but didnt. so who knows. wana ride this year?

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
im down for sure. my homies lurkin1 and ak yeti know there way around there pretty good so id suggest taggin along with them, thats what i do if i plan to go too deep into there.

Premium Features