• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few "carb" turbo ??

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
as bryce (a guru) has said put in 15 pilots or 17.5 at most. your idle is probably high simply because its turned in too much. after u get smaller pilots in adjust your idle down. google how to adjust idle if ur not sure but its super easy just torn the large nob in the center of ur carbs. 14 to 1 is way too rich for idle trust me and bryce. a/f is usually too lean to register on the guage at idle and goin down the trail till u give it some throttle. just take it real easy going down the trail and varry the throttle lots if u are nervous about it. or put a small shim under the choke lever/fuel enrichment lever to give it some more fuel till ur ready to play. fancy sled btw. lots of bling. i love my carb turbo. it was cheap to build and puts a lot of new sleds to shame

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I had the same high idle problem. 15's were simply too lean @ 4500' (home) and OK at elevation. I ended up with 17.5's for a happy balance point. I ran 380 mains and the fuel screw set to 1.0 turn out. E-clip in #1 or 2. Powerjets set to 1.5 turns out.

What is your AFR reading when it does its stumble at 5500-6000? What is your riding elevation?

One thing I noticed is your running a BMP pipe. While aftermarket pipes are great, they also usually use a tight tail stinger to increase backpressure. Fine for N/A at altitude, but not for the turbo. I yanked mine out for a smooth flowing transition.

You might also try moving your Powerjets to the 12 o'clock position. That way you can trim your tube length to correlate to your slide position as boost rises and fueling is needed.

Last edited:
O
Aug 30, 2014
Alberta
Afr was around 11.5 part throttle, AFR stays at 11.5 as it stumbles. Mag egt drops approx 200°f when it happens though.

I got some low milage carb slides on the way to rule those out.

I've got another set of power jets that came with the setup originally, might try them instead. If I can't get the part throttle transition to crisp up I will try trimming the peto tubes.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I agree. You're too rich in the mid range. I only run that rich at wide open throttle. I would try lifting your clip one spot, to drop the needle to cut out a little bit of fuel. I liked about 13-14 AFR at that rpm. Remember there isn't alot of load on the motor at that spot.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
so, howd u make out? u can google how to set up ur pilot circuit but the basics imo would be lean it out until rpm increases when u slightly lift the choke, this is how u know ur too lean. once u are this lean the rpm should hesitate once u flip the throttle from a dead stop. from this point screw out the fuel mixture screws (there's one on the bottom right of each carb w a white knob) until the lean symptoms go away. also note that at elevation this will change slightly but not as much as ud think. i run mine with lean symptoms at idle at 3000ft and once at elevation (7000 ft), its good. for me its 17.5 i think and 1/2 turn from closed on fuel screws. this will have a slight effect on midrange and very slight on wot.

Premium Features