• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

a avy not to be forgoten

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Well timed post bottom feeder. When we get the next storm on top of all this cold hard pack, things could get ugly. Be smart and be safe guys.:beer;

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Holy chit thats some scary stuff. Was that the one in 99?

yes..my friends met up with the guy that caused it, in the back bowl,rode with them all day and on the way out they stopped to help a guy get out of the back bowl,when they came over the top they watched the hill go...that film does no justice to how big that avy was......

G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
I remeber sitting on the snowboard side watching that, crazy stuff... happened right after we were done filming. Everyone but jonathan put thier cameras away, thats the vid he took. Nothing you could do but just watch.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska

My buddies were caught up in that avalanche. They were in the group that was by the bottom that was trying to ride out the path. I know other forum members were involved in the search, and learned plenty about avalanches from Jill. Beacon, probe, and aluminum shovel sales emptied the shelves at every dealer in town.

RIP Vic Jones

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
My buddies were caught up in that avalanche. They were in the group that was by the bottom that was trying to ride out the path. I know other forum members were involved in the search, and learned plenty about avalanches from Jill. Beacon, probe, and aluminum shovel sales emptied the shelves at every dealer in town.

RIP Vic Jones

Your right MORSNO, I have been looking for this video for a while....Just watching it again gave me the kicked in the gut feeling....We spent a week out there everyday until the troopers wouldn't let us look any more. Hardly anyone had beacons, probes & shovels back then. We made our own probes when the stores ran out. Shoveling that snow was really difficult, it was set up so hard you had to chip it, then shovel.
Thanks to all the people that came out and helped! I couldn't speak a word when we put one of the victims in a body bag while his dad watched...
RIP Guys! :rose::rose:

Premium Features