• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

858 Adapt Clutch

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Article in the September Snowest magazine dives into more detail on the changes in the clutch for the 858s; all sound positive. Seem like great changes, even at the cost of some added weight; 1lb if I remember right from previous info (basically now the same weight as the ascender team clutch). It was smart of them to put that clutch out early and really test it on the Ascender and 600 catalyst sleds.

Man I can hardly wait to get the this sled on the snow. Feel like a kid again, impatiently waiting for Christmas..... :ROFLMAO:!

I'm not sure why they didn't go with 7075 aluminum vs steel. I understand speed and cost but the dang thing is already marked up 1000 percent. Throw us a figgin bone
I'd bet we see an aftermarket billet spider soon

I'm not sure why they didn't go with 7075 aluminum vs steel. I understand speed and cost but the dang thing is already marked up 1000 percent. Throw us a figgin bone
I agree!

Does it have anything to do with starting it, they claim you can't even turn the engine over on the 600 without the mass weight?

Sooooo if that's true the big guy is gonna need that weight.

So I've been told

That's some serious weight on that new clutch, reminds my kind of the old TRA's.

Does it have anything to do with starting it, they claim you can't even turn the engine over on the 600 without the mass weight?

Sooooo if that's true the big guy is gonna need that weight.

So I've been told

That's some serious weight on that new clutch, reminds my kind of the old TRA's.
The original ADAPT clutch used on the 800 and the 600 Catalyst was supposed to be close to 3/4lb lighter than the Team clutches that had steel spiders. This should be back close to the same weight as that old Team.

I have an adapt clutch that I bought to put on my 2019 800 and before I sold it I pulled it off and put the stock one back on. It has the original aluminium spider. Would I be able to use this as a spare if something were to happen to the new adapt with the steel spider on the 858?

I have an adapt clutch that I bought to put on my 2019 800 and before I sold it I pulled it off and put the stock one back on. It has the original aluminium spider. Would I be able to use this as a spare if something were to happen to the new adapt with the steel spider on the 858?
I would

If you need inertia to smooth an engine you need weight. Aftermarket spider would likely decrease clutch life if it reduced the inertia. Now you could make a spider, in theory, that is lighter with heavier inertial weights that are at the largest diameter of the spider to match inertia in a lighter package...

Worry a little about the dowel pins that someone else shared images of.

I would think it would bolt up, but I would use it until a steel spider clutch was available again. The engine will be harder on an aluminum spider clutch.

If you need inertia to smooth an engine you need weight. Aftermarket spider would likely decrease clutch life if it reduced the inertia. Now you could make a spider, in theory, that is lighter with heavier inertial weights that are at the largest diameter of the spider to match inertia in a lighter package...

Worry a little about the dowel pins that someone else shared images of.
Why are you concerned about the dowel pins?

They actually made these for sled engines at one time.

Yet they still keep reinventing the wheel.
What do you know about the fluidampr for snowmobiles? Serious question. Harmonics is wreaking havoc on sleds

Last edited:
What do you know about the fluidampr for snowmobiles?
I'm not even sure how to reply that, all I can say it it's a different version of blue printing an engine without all the work, just bolt on. Good luck at finding one, if I'm not mistaken SLP was the one that actually sold them at one time.

A little machining would have to be done on the old ones but with the way twins are today they should be a common add on.

Seems like many moons ago now.

Expense has been the main issue, in the world of automobile racing this isn't much of a conversation NASCAR started running them many years ago.

There are other brands that make this also besides the one posted, they kind of have bragging rights.

Added
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/ati-fluidampr-tci-offer-expert-damper-advice/

Last edited:
Why are you concerned about the dowel pins?
Less surface area under the fastener head for friction and clamp. Dowel pins are likely to reduce tower spread from a harsh engine pulse (based on quite a bit of steel in the spider I would think they need the inertia) which if not torquing the cover bolts could result in the tabs of the cover breaking off on my22-24 800s. Maybe they increased the torque at the same time, but I have been curious if studs with a conical nut, like a lug nut would have been a better option.

If you noticed on previous Adapts that the holes are really tight in size relative to the fastener, and it was likely to keep the amount the tower could move to a minimum.

Premium Features

Back